Status: In Progress

Love or Lust

Introduction

“There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.” – Sarah Dessen

Love. It’s a simple four lettered word, but has the power to change people, stop wars and brings happiness even in the darkest times. However, no word is more misunderstood in society than the word love.

As a child, every little girl believed in fairytales and the notion of true love that surrounded them. They believed in the fantasy of what their life would be, white dress, Prince Charming who would carry them away to a castle on a hill. Every little girl would lie in bed at night and close their eyes and had complete and utter faith.

Bedtime stories such as Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White instilled this faith in children. The “Once upon a time” and then “They lived happily ever after” Fairy tales. Woven of dreams and passions and desires. Covered by hopes. They make us want to be loved. They make us want to love. They make us believe in love. True love, the one with a happy end, the one with taking breath away.

The one we used to hear about when we were six.

The one we used to read when we were ten.

The one we have been waiting for since we turned fifteen.

But reality always has a way of sinking through the cracks of our mind and come crashing down, hard, crushing every ounce of a dream.

Today, society is so fast paced, it sometimes forgets the true meaning of things that shouldn’t be taken for granted. “I love you” is a phrase that is overused and said too soon, often said in the heat of the moment. People throw it around like a used shirt, wearing it because it’s comfortable, safe, and secure, but never truly understanding why they have it. They lend it out, forget about it and years later, think; “Hey, I really liked that shirt.” It's supposed to be the deepest level of emotional connection between people, yet society has transformed it into a pop-icon phrase to be screened onto glittery fuchsia tank tops and written inside Hallmark cards with pastel bunnies and butterflies dancing on the cover.

The phrase, love makes the world go round is very true. It's our driving force, for whatever reason it may be. Poems, plays, and legends can only briefly touch the true meaning of love. We can only feel what that meaning is, and express it in ways only we can understand towards another. The true question we should be asking is not, what life is, but what love is.

What is love?

Does it exist?
♠ ♠ ♠
This is short, but it's just an a little introduction that will help support the feelings of my female protagonist. This is something I've been working on for a little bit so I hope you all enjoy it!

Comment and subscribe, pretty please?