Status: In Progress

Love or Lust

Maybe we should only tip

Thanksgiving and Food.

That’s all that could be said about the following week as the whole of America prepared for the annual holiday of thanksgiving.

Hazel’s mum was glad that they were all invited over to the Thanksgiving dinner so she didn’t have to prepare it all on her own, but despite this she was over at the Nickelsen residence, every day helping Lisa choose the recipes for the feast they were having.

Thanksgiving was Hazel’s favourite time of the year because of the delicious food that came out of it. Turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, salad and then of course pumpkin and apple pie. With a high metabolism, Thanksgiving was the one time of year she didn’t have to feel guilty for all the food she would eat over the course of the day.

With the music turned up in the kitchen, Hazel and the twins sang along obnoxiously, as they helped their mother cook her famous pumpkin pie and other deserts for Thanksgiving dinner. By late afternoon, Hazel was dressed and helping Harry with his bow tie and putting Josie’s thin hair into pigtails fixed with pink ribbons to match her dress.

At 6 o’clock, they crossed the short distance to the Nickelsen house where they were greeted by Judy, Garrett mum, at the door. She flashed them all a smile and ushered them inside, taking the dishes they’d made from them.

Once inside, Hazel quickly navigated her way through the people Judy had invited, to find Garrett. He was in the living room, deep into a conversation with none other than John O’Callaghan himself. Garrett forgot to mention that the O’Callaghan’s were invited.

“Hazel!” Garrett exclaimed catching sight of her “You look….good”

“Oh Garrett” Hazel laughed “You really are terrible at complimenting a girl”

“You’re meant to say she looks beautiful” John said before Garrett could defend himself. Hazel stared at John for a moment, unsure if he meant that or was simply saying to so Garrett got the point.

“I’m going to get a drink” Hazel quickly left the two boys in search of anything remotely alcoholic.

Image

It wasn’t long before everyone was seated around the wooden table in the Nickelsen dining room, enjoying the smell of the beautifully cooked food.

“Everyone dig in!” Judy announced.

The room was quickly filled with the sound of cutlery against plates as everyone piled food onto their plates and began eating as conversations began. Hazel sat directly across from John and his parents, engaging in small talk with them, happy to answer his mum Jenny’s questions about her life.

John on the other hand clearly did not know the meaning of subtle as he continued to flicker his eyes to look at her while engaging in a nonchalant conversation with Garrett. Trying to tease John even more, she carefully slipped off her right shoe and gently ran her stockinged foot up one side of his leg, under the table. She smirked when she’d hit a nerve with him as he spluttered and coughed trying not to spit his drink all over the table while he attempted to regain his earlier composure. Garrett raised his eyebrow and gave Hazel a questioning look but she ignored it, satisfied with her efforts. With the scene John had created trying not to choke, all he could do was glare at Hazel for the time being as the remainder of the dinner continued.

After dinner, while the men and children all gathered in the living room, Hazel helped with the dishes only paying slight attention to the talk around her. Excusing herself, she wondered outside and sat by the pool side. Taking her boots and tights off, she dipped her feet into the cool water.

“Shouldn’t you be inside working the room” she watched as John sat down beside her, copying her earlier actions.

“Believe it or not O’Callaghan” she began “But I don’t always like to be the centre of attention”

“Only at parties?” He queried.

“Precisely”

There was a comfortable silence between the two as they sat there; making ripples in the crystal clear water with their feet. Hazel wondered how the pair could go from teasing each to suddenly sitting side by side, no words shared between them.

“Your mum seems very nice” Hazel told him, twirling her foot close to his.

John groaned “She didn’t tell you anything embarrassing about me, did she?”

“Not yet” Hazel smirked “But she likes me, so it’s only a matter of time”.

“Aren’t you cold?” John asked

“A little” Hazel shrugged. She watched as John slipped of his suit jacket and placed it on her shoulders. She brought in close around her, slipping her arms through the sleeves as she mumbled a ‘thank you’ to him. It smelt of his cologne.

“You’re really something else Hazel” John suddenly said causing her to look at him, confusion written on her face.

“Oh?”

“You’re the one girl I still haven’t been able to figure out yet”

The way John was looking at her right now was completely different to any other time he had, especially a week earlier at band practice. His eyes showed little emotion, causing Hazel to wonder even more what he was thinking.

“Hazel, my mum…oh” Garrett Nickelsen always had the most perfect timing when it came to ruining moments like this. “Sorry”

“Yes Nickelsen?” Hazel said, moving slightly away from John.

“Claire has had a little too much wine tonight, so my mum has just taken her home”

“Every Thanksgiving, her and the bloody wine” Hazel mumbled to herself, shaking her head slightly “Where are the twins?” she asked him, standing up now.

“Curled up on the couch, asleep”

“I should take them home” She grabbed her boots and tights “They’ve had a long night”. It was just past 10, their bed time being long ago.

Following Garrett inside, with John right behind her, she found Harry and Josie cuddled up next to each other under a blanket on the couch. She smiled at the sight, they both looked so peaceful. She thanked Garrett’s family for dinner and said good bye to everyone announcing she was taking the twins home.

“I’ll help you” John offered.

Hazel picked up Josie, only waking her up slightly as she rested her head on Hazel shoulders and wrapped her little arms around her neck, while John picked up Harry. The house was completely silent when they entered as the crept up the stairs, putting the twins into their beds. Hazel pulled the covers over both of them and checked on her mother, she was completely passed out sprawled across the queen sized bed.

“Thank you” She said to John once they were back downstairs.

“I aim to please” he said bowing slightly causing Hazel to scoff.

“Here” Hazel took off his jacket and threw it at him “I don’t need this anymore”

“Are you sure” He grinned “It looks much better on you, especially if that dress of yours was to disappear”

“Get out of here O’Callaghan” She pushed him towards the door.

“See you around Hazel” He leant in and placed a soft kiss on her left cheek before jogging back over to Garrett’s. Shaking her head, she leant against the door frame and watched as he walked back to the Nickelsen’s.

Oh that boy was a wonder.
♠ ♠ ♠


I really loved this chapter it's so 'aw' worthy to me. Anyway my subscribers count is still climbing which is amazing so again thanks!

comments?