Status: In Progress

Love or Lust

A bottle back to keep us filled up

Death Cab For Cutie flooded Hazel’s car as she drove the streets of Tempe, returning to her house after a morning out early Christmas shopping with her mother. The twins were being looked after by Judy, who was more than happy to take them for the morning. Deciding on presents for two 5 year olds was not an easy task.

Turning into their street, Hazel’s eyes latched onto several figures skateboarding up and down the sidewalk and lounging on the curb outside Garrett’s house. She laid her hand down on the horn and smirked at them as we drove past them and parked in their driveway. Hazel only laughed as they all gave her the middle finger.

“That John is a nice boy.” Her mother said as Hazel turned off the engine, “I had a chat to him on Thanksgiving and he spoke very highly of you”

“Of course he would say things like that to you” Hazel said “You’re my mother”

Her mother only laughed at Hazel’s statement. Ever since she was little, her mother always loved to pay close attention to her love life.

Oh if she only knew.

“Good Afternoon ladies!” Garrett called as he strolled over to the car, followed by Kennedy, as both women were getting out. “How are we this fine day?”

“Fine thanks” Hazel watched her mother open the boot and begin to get the groceries out.
“Here let me help you with those” Kennedy offered, taking the remaining bags inside with Hazel’s mum. Hazel just rolled her eyes, boys always tended to think her mum was ‘hot’.

Hazel walked over to the curb, matching Garrett’s pace, where the others were all in a deep conversation. At their approach they all looked up and greeted Hazel.

“Hazel!” Pat gave her a friendly smile “Just the person we were looking for!”

“Oh really?” Her eyes darted to John; he wore his usual dark sunglasses, his eyes completely shielded from her, again. “Why?”

“We have a little proposition for you.” Garrett cut in, leaning his elbow on her shoulder.

“A proposition?” Hazel questioned suspiciously, “What kind of proposition?”

“Well, we’re going on a road trip to the lake, where Halvo’s parents own a house up there, and we thought ‘Hey! Why don’t we bring Hazel along? She’s a loner and she’ll have no one when we’re gone!’ so we all decided that we, The Maine, want to bring you, Hazel DeLancey, with us.” Pat said proudly.

“I am not a loner thank you very much” she proudly said “And I’m going to have to decline your offer”

“Why? Come on, it’ll be fun!” Garrett poked her side, “Think of it as the spring break road trip we never got to take together!”

“Yeah! It’s only gonna be three days anyways.” Halvo chimed in while he pushed his skateboard back and forth with his left foot.

Hazel bit my lip, weighing the pros and cons of their offer. A road trip with all the guys did sound amazing and even though she’d lived in Arizona for 12 years, she’d honestly hardly left the area of Phoenix. It’s not like she had plans this week anyways.

“Please oh please, Hazel!” Kennedy begged coming up behind her, shaking his clasped hands at her, “We want you to come with us!”

“Alright” she announced “I’ll go!”

Pat got up from the curb and pulled Hazel into a tight embrace, while Halvo gave Kennedy a high-five. Again she looked over at John; he wore a grin, no doubt content that he would be able to flirt continuously with Hazel while they were gone.

What had she gotten herself into?

Hazel sat down on the grass next to John and watched as Kennedy, Halvo and Pat resumed their attempts at skateboarding down the street, all three of them already having cuts and bruises from stacking it so many times, while Jared strummed softly on his acoustic guitar. John remained silent the whole time, only fuelling Hazel’s curiosity as to what he was thinking. Once John got up to have a turn at skating, his seat next to Hazel was quickly replaced by Garrett.

“What’s going on with you and John?” Garrett said, straight to the point. His voice was almost bitter as he spoke those words.

“Why would you assume there was?”

“Because” he began, sighing slightly. “I’ve caught the two of you twice, one in a very compromising position might I add. I’m your friend Hazel and I’m just looking out for you. John, he isn’t the relationship type of guy. He’ll string you along and then you drop you just like that” He clicked his fingers together just to emphasis his point.

Hazel looked out at John who was attempting to skate down the street, Garrett could warn her all he wanted but she knew his type and never to fall for a guy like him. But the more she thought about it, her and John were almost exactly the same.

Almost.

“Garrett I find it cute that you are looking out for me in a big brother way, but honestly you don’t have to worry about anything, I can take care of myself”.

“Please don’t shrug this off though, just keep it in the back of your mind” He sat up and dusted off his jeans. “I’ve seen it happen too many times to total strangers, but I don’t want it happening to my best friend”.

Sighing heavily, Hazel lay back on the soft grass and stared up at the clear blue afternoon sky. It felt relaxing to watch the birds fly past and clouds slow move, changing shape as they did.

“What did Garrett say to you?” Hazel opened her eyes to see John hovering over her, his sunglasses now removed from his face.

“Nothing” she said “It’s nothing”.

“You know how I told you how exceptionally well at reading and figuring people out?” He didn’t wait for her response “Well I can tell you are lying to me, so fess up”

“If I told you, I’d have to kill you O’Callaghan” With that she got up and left the bunch of rowdy guys, retreating inside.

Garrett’s warning and John were both on her mind as she collapsed on her bed. She’d only known John for three weeks, and in that time all they’d done was tease and flirt with each other. She didn’t know why Garrett was so worried.

Hazel DeLancey was not the type of girl to fall for a guy, especially not one like John O’Callaghan.
♠ ♠ ♠


without revealing anything, all I can say is that the trip to the lake house will be very, very interesting. And also the chapters to come after that! Thanks to everyone who has commented and subscribed to this so far! you're all awesome.

Oh and has anyone pre-ordered Anthem For A Dying Breed? I'm keen to see it and hopefully it'll come out in Australian stores on the date it's released because they never put a pre-order link up for Australia :(