Status: In Progress

Love or Lust

And your day froze

Hazel sat down on a nearby deck chair next to Halvo and watched other party-goers started to gather around the small stage that had been set up. Most were girls, all gossiping and pointing at the band members.

“Alright let’s get this party started!” John yelled, grabbing the microphone “this one’s called Count ‘Em, One, Two, Three”

Hazel sipped on her drink, watching the boys onstage with curiosity. The batches of girls in front of her were screaming along to the lyrics, knowing every single word. She was impressed, to say the least.

As the set went on, Hazel couldn’t take her eyes off of John. Despite his self-centred arrogance before, he had an amazing singing voice. There was something about him she couldn’t quite put her finger on.

When The Maine performed a song called ‘The Town’s Been Talkin’’, Hazel moved to go grab another drink but as she moved, her eyes locked with John’s. He was starring right at her, as though he was trying to impress her.

“Baby, my ears are open,” He sang into the mic, “and I’m watching you”

And then he winked at Hazel, causing her to roll her eyes before wandering back inside in search of a drink.

Once the small gig came to a close, the guys packed up their equipment while their lead singer flirted shamelessly with adoring girls nearby. Every few seconds his eye flickered over to Hazel but she turned her attention to the rest of the band.

“So were we good?” Kennedy asked Hazel

Hazel pursed her lips “Honestly? I’ve heard better” She watched as their faces fell, clearly
disappointed by her response. “I was joking, you guys were amazing!”
They all cheered and each gave her a small hug.

“I can tell you’ll go far”

“You think so?” Garrett said

“There was a reason I put up with you practicing at one in the morning Garrett” she laughed, taking the drink from his hand and downing the rest of it. “Now I don’t know about you boys, but I came here to party”

Once inside, they went their separate ways with the boys going to the kitchen to get some more drinks while Hazel found the dance floor. Standing close to the doorway of what used to be a living until tonight, she watched as other got lost in the upbeat music that filled that room and it spilled out of the speakers. While swaying slightly to the music, she felt an arm snake around her waist and pull her body close. Before she could even struggle to get away, the hot breath of the stranger burned against her skin as they leant down.

“Falling for me yet?” Hazel spun around to look into the emerald eyes of John O’Callaghan.
“In your dreams O’Callaghan”

As the song changed, John pulled Hazel closer to his body, much to her protest.
“One song, that’s all I ask”.

His hands resting on Hazel’s small waist, while she wrapped hers around his neck. Their hips moved rhythmically in time to the music, almost grinding together.

“So what are you, some kind of local hero because of your band?” Hazel said referring to after the show they’d put on when John flirted with the group of girls surrounding him.
“Has Garrett already spoken to you?”

“Not yet, but I can tell you have a reputation” He just laughed, pulling her even closer to him.
John spun her around, before they collided again with each other.

“What’s your game move then?” Hazel leant in, so their lips were only inches apart “one night hook ups and then leave them wanting more?” Their lips brushed ever so slightly, and as John leant in further, Hazel pulled away.

“I can see why it works” she grinned “leaving them wanting more keeps them coming back” she drew away from his grasp and left the room just as the song finished, with him standing their wondering what had just happened.

As the night went on, so did the partying.

After her encounter on the dance floor with John, Hazel shoved her way into the adjacent room to where a game of beer pong was being played between the other members of The Maine. Garrett and Jared were standing on one side of the ping pong table, with a line of cups in front of them while Pat and Halvo were on the opposite side, while Kennedy watched closely making sure no one was cheating.

“Another round goes to us!” Pat cheered, giving Halvo a high five to as the pair celebrated their victory.

It was then that the guys all turned to Hazel. Halvo and Pat challenged Hazel to a game of beer pong after they successfully beat Garret and Jared again. She eyed the table suspiciously, having attended high school in Manhattan she’d never had the opportunity to play a round of the alcoholic game, it was all cocktails and clubs for her.

“So Hazel what’s it going to be?” Jared asked “are you in or out”

“I’m definitely in but I have a confession to make to you all” she said and watched as a curious look all crossed their faces “I’ve never played before”.

All of their jaws dropped and eyes widen as if she’d just told them she hated music. It was a moment before they recovered from her news.

“Where have you been girl?” Halvo was the first to speak up “come join the winning team and we’ll show you the ropes”

The game was simple and very easier to catch on to. Twelve cups were set up at either end of the table and filled to the brim with beer. Once divided into two groups, each stands at their chosen end. Each person playing aims to toss a simple ping-pong ball in a cup on the opposite side; if it lands in the cup a person from that team must down its contents. It continues like this until all cups are empty or until a team member passes out drunk.

Kennedy cleared his throat and spoke, “So, hey, are we going to play this game or what?” Halvo and Pat both got a little too into explaining the rules to Hazel. “Team Awesome and not to mention good looking are ready to beat you.”

“Oh bring it!” Hazel yelled

And they did exactly that. A couple of minutes in, all the guys, including Hazel, were getting into the game with a little too much enthusiasm. Even Kennedy and later the bands tour manager, Tim Kirch, stood on the sidelines cheering them on. Every time Hazel threw the ping-pong ball into one of their cups, she clapped with excitement. This was definitely her kind of game.

“And the winners are Hazel, Halvo and Pat!” Kennedy announced. Jared and Garrett both groaned, clearly taking the game a little too seriously.

“Oh don’t worry about it Gare Bear” Hazel teased, grabbing at his cheeks “You still have a small
amount of your dignity left”

“Why do I keep you around?” he asked, frowning only slightly but a grin evident on his face

“Because I’m hot, good in bed and did I say hot?” her words slurred.

The alcohol was definitely starting to catch up to Hazel.

“What have you been drinking?”

“Tequila and beer” she shrugged

“So much for being able to hold your liquor”

The party finally came to a close in the early hours of the morning. Those brave enough to still rely on their legs, staggered out the door to home. Other simply crashed where they fell; many will red cups still in their hands. Somehow Hazel and Garrett made it home to their beds safely after their adventurous night of partying.

To Hazel, Arizona definitely just got more interesting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two updates in one night?! I actually had 95% of this chapter previously written so it was easy to add in the extra bits needed.

so now the relationship between Hazel and John is slowly developing! let me know what you guys think!

PS I realised I forgot to link Hazel's party outfit in the previous chapter so I'm going to go back and edit it if you'd like to see it.