We Come Out at Night

Chicken Noodle Soup for the Blood Drinking Soul

Chapter 5.

We were back in Brian's room. I was sitting on the downy black comforter of his bed, and Brian on the couch across from me. The awkward silence was almost too much for me and I had already resorted to kicking my feet childishly because the bed was elevated and I couldn't reach the floor.

"That's just weird." said Brian wearily and ran a hand through his inky black hair.

"Has there ever been any problems like this before?" I asked happy for a reason to break the ice.

He shook his head. "None that i've heard of with a human. The only time these kind of complications turn up the explanation is that we're not dealing with a normal." Then Brian looked up at me. That was kinda funny. Considering I was only five six and he had to be over six foot tall. The bed had its ups and downs. Oh, wow. Kinky bed humor.

"Wait, where did you get a satanic bible?" Brian asked. I looked over at him taken a back.

"Uh. Its me little sister's, Trina. She's into weird rituals and voodoo. Plus greek mythology."

"How'd she get a hold of a book like that?" he really seemed interested in this certain book.

"My mom studied religions. She also used to be into the wicca stuff; but she stopped all that by the time Trina was born." I answered hoping that that would soothe his soul. Maybe he should look into less demonic books like "Chicken Noodle Soup for the Blood Drinking Soul"? Could be a good read.

"Really?" it was a rhetorical question, but the curiousity escaped his voice. Right then somebody began pounding on the bedroom door angrily.

"Brian!" Zacky called. "What was that we just got through talking about? I'm not gonna do your freakin' job for you again! So stop having angry sex because you suck." We heard retreating footsteps and maybe the sound of a satisfied Zacky if it had a sound. It probably did. Maybe he should read "Chicken Noodle Soup for the Overly Dramatic Blood Drinking Soul". Could do wonders.

Brian groaned and rose up from the couch. "Guess I better go do that before Zacky puts grapes in his mouth from a fit of anger."

"I'll come with you." I said rising up and stretching beside him.

He paused looking over at me. "Okay, let's go." I followed him back into the kitchen and stopped over by the marble counter.

Brian went over to the fridge and opened the freezer part and dug out white packages of meat. In a hurried motion he shoved them into the microwave and dialed on the machine and turned back to face me.

"Usually they'll hear the microwave go off and come running in here." he said.

"Are they all as big as Rena?" I asked.

Brian smiled over at me evily. "Rena's the smallest." Oh, wow.

"Don't scare me." I said jokingly. Oddly enough I'm not sure I was completely kidding.

The microwave beeped. I guess the dogs second guessed Brian. The dogs were no where in sight. That was untill I turned around and saw five VERY large god dogs staring at me hungrily. I heard Brian laugh at the look on my face.

"Help me get this seperated, will ya?" Brian said laying five silver bowls down onto the counter. I walked over to Brian and began to set equally massive steaks into the bowls without a word. After all, he did have the upper hand in this situation. He didn't have to feed them expensive steaks. A perfectly fresh human morsel was in the midse.

We set the bowls down on the tile and the dogs began to devour them ravenously. It was hard to repress a shiver.

"They're all so... huge." I said.

"Yeah." Brian agreed. "They are made to protect us while we sleep."

"Oh right." I said as a thought occured to me. "Doesn't the sunlight burn you or something?"

"No. Its just a reall effective lullaby. When we sleep we're completely vulnerable. I don't think i've ever woken up during the day." Brian answered. The hounds did serve a gruesome purpose.

"Okay." I said surprised I had gotten an answer so easily. I guess I could shoot for one more. "What about the blood thing?" I asked curiously. Who didn't want to see past the myth of the blood drinking stuff?

"It just keeps us going. Our blood runs through our veins so quickly it dies in the process and it needs to be replaced. As vampires we're just human on an constant outrageous adrenaline rush. I guess that's why we sleep so soundly."

I suddenly felt really awkward that he was answering all my questions like this. "Which hound belongs to who?" I asked changing the subject.

Brian blinked at my change in words, but looked over at the small crowd of giant gigantic dogs. He pointed over at one closest to us.

"The grayish-brown one with the white 'x' one its chest is Zacky's. His name is Nazi."

He then pointed at the completely white one beside Nazi. "Her name's Pretty Girl. She's Matt's."

My eyes wandered over at one that looked a lot like an over grown black and white husky. "That's Demo, he's Jimmy's." Brian said following my gaze.

The hound looked up at us at the sound of his name. My breath caught in my throat. He didn't have the gold eyes all the others did. Instead they were peircing blue ice.

"That's Johnny's over there, his name is Nero." Brian carried on and I looked at the remaining hound that was a warm chocolate brown with an ashen face and paws.

"They're all so beautiful." I said in an awed tone. In the corner of my eye I saw Brian go completely rigid. "Brian?" I called turning towards him.

He was staring straight at the dog's bowls. More specifically, the blood pooling to the bottom of the glittering bowl.

"Brian." I called louder this time. His eyes locked onto me. They were the dangerous black gleams that made my stomach turn with unease that happened only when the little voice in my head screamed for me to run.

He then tood a step towards me. His lips curled in a wicked smile that turned into a snarl showing kanines that were extending farther down. Before I could react two blurs rushed into the kitchen. They slammed Brian backwards into the counter. The two blurs turned out to be Johnny and Zacky who held Brian down by the shoulders.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry took so long.

Hopefully I'll get another chapter in soon.

=]]