Status: Re-uploaded 20/09/12.

The Sea Breathes

Dazzle

The sea breathes, and I am in love with words.

Like a doomed lover, it rushes against the cliffs, dashing itself to salt and spray. It foams like a rabid beast, seething and sucking in the worn hollows of its prison. Like an octopus, it can squeeze into any cavity. Like storm clouds, it roils and heaves. It will not be contained.

Beneath the sun, it smooths into a glistening mirror, upturned to catch the seagulls and the ribboned sky. On warm, still days, it is a glassy lens, distilling bands of light that filter down to describe the creeping sand bars, the shimmering fish and the skittering crabs.

It is a blanket over the human subconscious, appearing outwardly calm like a smiling actress. It wears a camouflage of reflections, and hides behind demure brine like a Chinese fan. The sea is a temptress. She tugs at hearts like objects caught in her lapping tide, luring them to the slumber of drowning. She promises rest and oblivion, but the sea is a liar. She sleeps only in the minds of the waking.

She winks as she drags the lost into depths that are always alive, bursting with wonder and horror. Bright anenomies flourish, fringed with full lips and long eyelashes. Currents undulate. Shoals of fish are sequined shawls and manta rays are shadows like dusky, batted eyelids. The white sand is her skin, the pink coral her rosy cheeks.

I am in love with the sea.