Status: Completed (:

I'll Do Anything to Have Her to Myself

Let Me Take Care of You

“See ya.” She said weakly.

He walked past Corey without a word and he looked at her curiously.

“What was that about?”

“I think he just dumped me…..well, officially.” She half-smiled and rolled her eyes.

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I knew it was coming.”

“The doctor’s gonna come and talk to you here in a few minutes. Take a look at you and stuff.”

“Corey?”

“What’s up?”

“Could I have my burger now?”

“Oh,” he laughed turning to dig her sandwich out of the brown paper bag. “Sorry, I forgot all about it.” He was watching her cram the cheeseburger in her mouth when the doctor came in and laughed a little.

“Well, it’s good to see you have an appetite.”

“Hey Doc.” Corey nodded to him.

“Still haven’t left, huh?” Corey shook his head. “Well, how do you feel?”

“Hungry.” She answered finishing up her burger.

“Ok, let me get a look at you.” He checked the gash on her head. “Head hurt?” She nodded. “To be expected, I’d like to have them run a CT scan just to be sure there’s no other damage. Let’s look at that knee.” He pulled the covers back and unwrapped the gauze from her swollen leg.

“How’s it look?” Corey asked as he looked over his shoulder.

“Looks good.” He said pushing on her leg a little causing her to grimace. “One of our PT specialists is going to come in at some point to discuss a plan for physical therapy and rehab to get that knee back into shape.”

“How long does that usually take?” she wondered.

“Depends on the patient and the person taking care of them.”

“When can she go home?”

“Maybe tomorrow. Are you going to be staying with her? She’ll need someone with her for obvious reasons.” He explained. “But you’re doing good so far. I’ll get them to bring you something for pain.” The doctor scribbled some stuff in her patient file and left the room.

“I can get one of the guys in the band to stay with me…” she told him.

“No, you’re coming to my house.”

“You’ve got a tour to finish…”

He shook his head. “Not anymore. Shawn already got in touch with management and the label. Everything’s cancelled until further notice.”

“Shouldn’t have done that.”

“It’s not a big deal. We’ll finish the tour when you’re better. This was just a warm-up tour anyway.”

“Hey man…we’re gonna head out.” Jim said suddenly from the doorway. “You guys need anything?” They shook their heads. “All right….see ya!”

He sat on the edge of the bed, his hand stroking her cheek and smiling that big, dimpled smile of his. “I thought I’d lost you for good…”

“Takes more than a bum leg to kill me.” She chuckled.

“Let me take care of you.” He begged.

“I would just be a pain in the ass.”

“No, you wouldn’t.”

“Ok, Where is she?” They heard a woman in the hall ask rudely.

Addie sighed, “Damn.”

“There she is.” The woman said as she opened the door and walked inside.

Corey jumped up defensively, “Hey, who are you?”

“I’m her mother.” She mouthed off. “And who are you? The reason she’s in here?”

He’d opened his mouth to speak but she beat him to the punch. “Hello. I’m sitting right here.”

“So, what happened? Were you drinking?”

She rolled her eyes, “No, my sugar bottomed out and I passed out while I was driving. Thank you very much.”

“When are they letting you leave? I’ll have to make sure your room’s ready. I don’t know how you get yourself into this bullshit constantly.” She said then looked at Corey. “Who the hell are you?”

“I’m not staying with you.”

“Oh, and just where in the hell do you plan on staying?” She glanced in Corey’s direction. “Oh, you’re going to stay with this miscreant. How cute.”

“His name is Corey. And if you’re here to bitch at me, you can leave.”

“I’m here to make sure you’re not dead….”

“Well, I’m not. So, you can go now.”

“Fine. But next time you decide not to take your damn medicine and you end up in a hospital bed…I won’t be there.”

“I think you should fucking go now.” Corey said harshly while pointing towards the door.

“Corey, is it?” he nodded. “I’m sure you two deserve each other. You both look like pieces of shit to me.”

He turned around with an incredulous look on his face. “That was your mom?”

She nodded, “Sweet, ain’t she?”

“Fucking crazy. I’d ask why you never talk about her, but that’d be a stupid question.”