Paired

The Cabins Are That Way -Holly Davenport

Holly stared up at the ‘counselors’ and the occasional scowling police officer. They were all idiots to her, thinking they could reform some of these misfits. She couldn’t wait until her innocence was proven, so she could leave this dump and get back to the summer she wanted and deserved.

The men continued talking as she had her face set in a unreadable scowl, staring up at these magical helpers with hate. That’s the one way that she blended in with there delinquents. Each of them, including her, had a very distasteful and prominent frown on their faces.

When they were finally done talking, or so she thought because she wasn’t exactly listening anyway, she followed the crowd towards the various bags that were now off the oversized school bus.

Holly immediately knew which bags were hers. Why? Well, they didn’t have holes in them and they were dirty or old. Instead, her new fresh bags lay at the bottom of the stacks.

She wrapped her hands around them, tugging in hopes of freeing them. Instead, it just caused a few bags to tumble towards her, and sly comments erupting.

For the next few minutes, Holly tried to free her bags from the stack of dirty old excuses; she let out one last tug. Suddenly, a hand flew out of nowhere, and made an effortless tug, freeing them, and causing Holly to fly back onto the ground.

With a thud, she quickly stood up and corrected herself, swiftly whipping off the disgusting sand and dirt. She glanced up at her savior to reveal the boy she was forced to be seated next to on the bus. She faintly caught one of the sly comments saying something about Spencer deal helping the snob.

Snob. Holly thought with a scoff. I’m no snob, what do they know about me anyway? She asked herself, as she held out her manicured hand.

“Thank you for that, I’m Holly.” She stated, with her most award-winning smile as the boy stared at it, almost cautiously, as though he wasn’t trusting her. The emotion quickly fled from his face though as Holly slowly lowered her hand.

“Never put your bag down first. It’ll get covered.” Spencer stated, his voice cold and unreadable. Holly narrowed her eyebrows as the boy turned on his heel, slipping one of the beaten up old soccer bags over his shoulder.

“Excuse me, you don’t have to be rude about it.” Holly stated, incredulously, scurrying behind him, bags in hand. He stood a good foot, at least, over Holly and his face was hard and cold as though he couldn’t be bothered with her.

After being ignored Holly let out a small groan, speeding up and stopping in front of him.

“You know, you didn’t have to get my bags, considering you hardly want to talk or even be nice to the girl you did it for.” Holly stated, crossing her small arms over her chest.

“I didn’t do it for you, you were making a fool of yourself and it was just embarrassing.” He stated, his voice cool as he finally looked at her, his gaze intense and deep.

“I was not making a fool of myself! I had it perfectly under control, thank you very much.” Holly stated, her eyes narrowing, as she gripped her bags.

“I have no time for people like you, if you excuse me, I’m going to my cabin.” She stated, with a small, agitated noise.

Behind her, she heard a throat clear itself. Almost quietly, Spencer’s voice rang out once again. “Um, Holly?” He stated, loud enough for her to hear.

Yeah, that’s it. Now you want to talk to me. Holly thought to herself, with a triumphant noise escaping her lips, her face smug, as she turned around and look at the boy.

“Yes?” She asked, her eyes wide and innocent, her smug smile shinning through her perfectly white teeth and red lips.

“The cabins are that way.” Spencer stated, with arched eyebrows. A couple of kids snickered at they walked by, as Holly’s cheeks reddened. Quickly, she hurried off into the other direction towards the cabins.