Status: Hiatus

Lost in Wonderland, Ever After

Prologue

Jack once had a good childhood friend, in preschool. What was his name? Adam? Alan? Whatever, it doesn't matter. All that Jack could remember though, was that he left him the day elementary school started. 

From the stories he heard his parents tell him when he asked about his friend, Jack and the boy was always together ever since the day they argued over who got the swings during recess. Jack could faintly remember how that boy, Alex, he's quite certain now, looked like. He remembered the boy's pale skin, almost as pale as porcelain, the short blonde hair, how he was slightly shorter than average - or maybe it was just Jack that was taller than average. The only thing Jack could remember profoundly was Alex's little obsession over beanies. That boy really loved beanies. 

Jack had a drawer that was full of the stuff Alex had left behind. He never looked through it and never intend to. It pains Jack too much to remember that his first friend left him before school had really started, which was a real stab to his 6 year old heart. That was also the reason why Jack had never been close to anyone ever since. He's been through 11 years of school without many friends and he's content to keep it that way. People come and go all the time anyways.

Jack's parents never brought up the subject of Alex after second grade. In fact, Jack is pretty sure they had forgotten about his once childhood friend already. In the first few months without Alex was the worst. Jack cried and threw tantrums whenever he went to school and whenever he came back home. His parents always tried to tell Jack that Alex just moved away to someplace and couldn't contact Jack. Alex was also only living with his grandmother because he moved from Essex to Baltimore when he was 4 so Jack had no one else to ask where Alex went.

Alex was like Jack's drug. Jack had become dependent of Alex very soon and when you're suddenly pulled away from it, you can't function properly. Most recovering druggies would go to rehab to help them, Jack didn't even get to do that.

To be honest, Jack had been addicted to Alex ever since their first play date and he was pretty sure he would never get over said boy. I guess Jack is only being honest to himself because once you are an addict you are always an addict. It means you have an attraction to something that does not go away. If one doesn't acknowledge their addiction and they believe they are immune to their past then they are kidding themselves. Jack does not want history to repeat itself so he tries to keep as clear of a mind as possible.

~|~

It was a saturday night when Jack gets a wave of nostalgia. He's picked up his courage and finally opened the drawer that has been sealed for 10 years. There's a lot of things packed in there. Some spare clothes, a few beanies, their drawings, pictures, and a promise ring. Jack slipped the ring on before going through the photos.

Jack came across a particular photo with him and Alex on the swings laughing. This triggered Jack to think of the first day they met. 

"Hey! Dawts my swing!" The small blonde boy came running forwards.

The black haired boy turned his head to look at the boy shouting at him and giggled. 

"You sound funny!" Jack came to a stop and hopped off. 

"No I don't. You're funny." 

"I am."

"Whut?"

"I'm funny. You said."

"Oh."

What's your name?" Jack tilted his head.

"My name's Alexander. I just moved from England and I found this swing set yesterday." 

"Alexander." Jack tried it on his tongue. 

Jack giggled again.

"That just screams british!" Jack said in a fake british accent.

Alex giggled as well and smiled fondly at Jack. 

"You're horrible! What's your name? I bet it's something Andrew or Jason." 

Jack giggled again - he's turning into a fit of giggles since meeting Alexander. 

"My name's Jack! Jack Bassam Barakat!"

"Jack." It was Alexander's turn to try it out. 

"You sound funny when you say my name. It's like Jawck." Jack giggled. 

"I wanna play on the swings, will you push me?" 

"Sure Alexander... Can I just call you Alex? Alexander is too long." Jack pouted. 

"Fine, only for you though." Alex smiled, showing teeth, grinning.


Suddenly, Jack felt too constrict in his room so he went downstairs to put on his shoes and went out to the piercing cold.

He ran his hands to his newly dyed skunk hair. He was always asked why he dyed his hair a different colour every year since becoming a freshman. He would only respond with saying he wants to be different. Secretly, he was keeping a promise he made with Alex the week before he left. They had promised each other they would get matching hair every year when they go to high school. Jack could remember most of the promises he made with Alex and he does keep most of them. Even if Alex did leave there's still some things that remain.

Jack hadn't been looking where he was walking when he arrived at a park and he tripped over a tree root. Jack expected to fall face flat on the dirt but all that happened was that he kept falling down, down, and down.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story. Don't panic, I haven't forgotten about Untitled though I am having writer's block on that. I just had this idea and wanted to publish it before I had time to back out. Comments are love, it would be nice you know, just to know I'm somehow loved.