Status: Loving The Lies Romance brother Miles Jake Noel

Loving the Lies

Cheer up, We're Juniors!

Noel stared into the mirror, looking deep into her bright blue eyes. She noted the specks of green that danced through out them, and wondered if she had gotten them from her dad. She cursed herself for never looking closer. Her mascara brush now laid slack in her hand, as she frowned into her reflection.

Glancing up, as if to get her mind off her thoughts, she plucked the picture off of her mirror, and examined it. It was taken several years ago, at Cassidy’s fifth birthday party. Noel and her best friend, Jake’s arms were slung around each other, as they smiled brightly into the camera, revealing their brace-covered faces.

In the background, you could just make out her Mom and Mrs. Pavetti in the background, huddling over the princess cake, Cassidy staring hungrily at it, her lips already covered in the remains of her previous Cotton Candy flavored ice cream.

My heart’s a stereo, it beats for you so listen close. Hear my thoughts in every note. Make me a radio and turn me up when you feel low. This melody was meant for you, sing along to my stereo. The song suddenly erupted from her phone, reminding her it was time to start downstairs. This was the first day of school, and there was no way she was missing her first period on junior year.

Closing up her mascara, she threw it in her backpack, and put the picture back. After slipping on her favorite pair of converse, she hurried downstairs, sliding to a stop, taking her seat at the head of the table. It was a certain rule of the house, who ever go to the table first, gets the seat.

Cassidy hurried in after Noel, her eight-year-old face turning into a frown. “No fair, you always get here first.” She slouched, taking a seat next to Noel, crossing her arms.

“Early bird get’s the worm.” Noel teased, a smile in place on her lips. She loved being the oldest, even though it came with a lot more pressure and responsibility. Even though they seemed to be having a tiny fight, it was all out of love.

“Will you two please keep it down? You’re going to wake the baby.” Noel’s mother stated, shaking her head, as she hushed them. Noel glanced up and examined her mother, who stood in her familiar spot by the stove, an apron in place, as she flipped the pancakes. The smell drafted heavily towards the table as Noel sniffed at the air hungrily.

“The baby is fine, but can the pancakes hurry? I have to catch my ride in ten minutes.” She stated, in an attempt to hurry her mother along.

“Noella, please, take a chill pill.” Her mother stated, tucking a stray piece of hair back into her messy bun. The bags were prominent under her eyes, where her newest addition had kept her up by crying.

“It’s Noel, Mom.” She stated, with a small scowl, raising her voice one push to high, as a cry erupted from upstairs. Groaning, her mother wheeled around and began upstairs toward the screaming child.

“Well thank you, Noell- Noel. Pancakes are on the plate.” Mrs. Hamilton stated, before hurrying up stairs, with an exasperated huff.

“What’s wrong with mom?” Cassidy asked, as the two of them made their way towards the pile of steaming chocolate-chip pancakes that sat waiting for them on the counter.

“It’s just the baby.” Noel stated, thinking about her new brother, Anthony, as she helped herself to the pancakes.

You see, Noel had a blended family. Cassidy came into her life when Noel was only eight. It was Noel’s prime years of acceptance and it was easier. After her mother separated again, Noel wanted to keep it that way. She was tired of change, and definitely tired of new dads.

Though, within the past year, her mother and Erik began seeing each other. Before she could even form a first impression, her mother was knocked up and Erik was moving it. It’s been almost a year, and Noel gave up trying to get used to it, and officially hardened toward Erik.

She didn’t ask for a father, or a brother. She was perfectly fine living in a house of just the three of them.

Noel’s phone began to buzz, bursting her out of her thoughts. Setting the pancakes on the table, taking a bite of one, she read her phone.

B there in 5. B Happy! We r juniors! She smiled at Jake’s excited text, as she hurriedly finished her pancake.

“Who was that?” Cassidy asked, pouring syrup on top of the stack, drenching them in the sticky sweet topping. “Was it Jake?” She asked, not even hiding her toothy, childish smile.

Noel let out a small laugh, with a nod. “Yes it was, he’s my ride today.” She stated, with a shrug. She laughed at Cassidy’s eyes lit up.

“Can he come in for a little?” She asked, taking an oversized bite of her dripping pancake, dropping some on her lap.

“School starts in twenty minutes, I don’t think the timings too good.” She stated, handing her sister a napkin, as Cassidy’s face fell. Sighing, Noel let out a small smile. “Maybe he can come in after school, is that all right?” She asked, with a small smile.

“Yeah!” She stated, her toothy grin growing, as Noel laughed, putting her plate in the sink, and kissing Cassidy’s head. Just then, she heard the familiar car horn outside, as she slipped on her black back pack and disappeared out the door.

“Hey there, stranger.” Noel greeted Jake, smiling, as she tossed her bag in the back seat, hopping over the door into the convertible, wiggling around until she was comfortable.

“What an entrance.” Jake stated, teasing Noel, with a laugh. Noel rolled her eyes, but permitted herself a small laugh, as she buckled up, pulling out of her lot.

“Cassidy wants to see you after school.” She stated, with a smile. Jake a cautious look grew on his face, as he took a quick glance at her. “I think she’s got a small crush.” Noel stated, with a laugh, as Jake sighed.

“Oh great.” He chuckled, shaking his head. Last thing he needed was an eight year old falling all over him. Noel thought.

“Oh cheer up, we’re juniors.” She stated, with a large smile, nudging him slightly, as the heated Arizona sun beat down on them.

“We’re juniors.” Jake repeated, a smile growing on his own face, as the radio turned up, filling their ears with music, as they drove down the familiar roads toward the school. Maybe this year wouldn’t be so bad after all.