Status: This is probably a totally different story than what you're used to, but it's probably the most real to life one too, It's been my favorite to write, even better than my fanfic!

Rekindled

Memories

Presley
Dinner with the Hunters yesterday was great. I was glad to get to catch up with them. They told me how Kyle was doing and how much the whole family missed me. We talked about Preston and Spencer. Yesterday was one of the first times that I was able to talk about him and not cry, which Ms,Janey said was okay. She said it’s okay for me not to cry every time I mention his name, it just means that he hurt from his death was healing, but that I would never forget him. She said that you never forget the loves of your life. I know she’s right, because even though I was and am madly and happily in love with Spencer, I never for one minute forgot about Kyle.

I sat out on the back porch reading and watching Preston play with Max and Coco. I smiled to myself as I watched them. My son looked so at peace right now, like he didn’t have a care in the world. I was glad that I had decided to come home and get out of the city; home to be with family and grieve in my own way. It was Monday and mama and daddy had gone to work; it was just me and Pres. Mama offered to stay home with us, but I told her that she didn’t need to break their day to day routine for us. We just needed to be close to family and out in the peaceful space. She said since I wouldn’t let her stay home, that she would just get off a few hours early. Patricia had called a few times to see if I needed anything, but I told her that we were okay.

Listening to Preston play with the dogs reminded me of the day that I got Coco and Max. Max was given to us when the Hunter’s lab had puppies when I was about 10. Before they put them up for sale, I begged mama and daddy to let me have one. Sherriff D had offered whichever one I picked, but I had to get my parents permission first. Daddy was easy, I gave him the puppy dog eyes and a small pout, that was all it took. Mama on the other hand was a little bit harder. I literally had to plead, bargain and enlist the help of my sister and brother to get her to say yes. Once she yes and I brought her home, she fell in love with her. Max is short for Maxine, I don’t know where I got the name from, but it just kinda stuck.

***************FLASHBACK***************

“Hey babe” I smiled as Spencer walked into my apartment “How was your day?”

“It was okay” he shrugged “but it just got better” he flopped down on couch, leaning over and pecking my lips.

“Well, what happened?” I put my book down; his eyebrows were furrowed which always means that something is on his mind.

“Nothing really, you’ve just been on my mind all day”

“Well, is that a good thing or a bad thing” I giggled as he softly ran his fingers down the back of my foot “That tickles Spence” I pulled my foot back.

“It’s a good thing…but I just worry about you when you’re here alone”

“When is that? You’re almost always here, or I’m with you, so when am I ever alone?” I laughed sitting up snuggling up to his chest.

“I know, but sometimes you’re by yourself, when I have to work late or trying to finish a project for class, and I just worry about you” he sighed kissing my forehead, “so I got you some protection” she smiled hoping up off the couch and heading outside. I anxiously peeked around the corner to see what he was doing. When he came back in the apartment, he had a hand behind his back. “Close your eyes P” he blushed

“Whyyyy?”

“Just do it baby…for me…pleeaassee” he pretended to pout. I did as he asked. I felt what felt like little paws in my lap “ok open them”
When I opened my eyes, there sat the cutest little brown puppy. “He’s so cute” I smiled

“It’s a she babe” Spencer smiled sitting down next to me “she’s to keep you company when I’m not around” he wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

“She’s so adorable” I lifted the cute little shaken puppy up looking her in her precious little brown eyes.

“Whatcha gonna name her?”

“Ummm, how about Coco, because she reminds me of chocolate” I smiled.

“What you do you think Coco, do you like that name?” Spencer leaned on my shoulder talking to the dog. She just slightly titled her head at him. “I’ll take that as a yes then ma’am” he chuckled.

“I knew she’d like it” I put her back down on my lap and gently rubbed the top of her little head as she rested it on my thigh. “But you’ll have to house break her sir” I turned to him

“I can do that. Do you like her?”

“I love her…and I love you” I pecked his lips

“I love you too”

***************END of FLASHBACK***************

“Mrs. Sadie, you home?” I heard a familiar voice call from the side of the house “I have a delivery for you”

“Scooter Williams?” I smiled, standing from the porch swing

“Presley Monroe, aren’t you a sight?” he smiled, giving me a big hug “What are you doing here? I thought you lived in Houston?”

“A girl can visit her mama can’t she?” I laughed

“Yeah, but the last time I saw you was for PJ’s funeral. You look good”

“Yeah, it has been a while. I’m usually only home for a little while during the holidays, so” I shrugged

“I’m really sorry about your husband” his eyes softened

“Thank you, but I guess it’s occupational hazard when you’re a military wife” I smiled “Anyway, you said you had a delivery for mama?”

“Actually is says that it’s for a Mrs. Parker, but I don’t know any Parkers around here” he shrugged looking down at the oversized envelope that had a certified label on it.

“You’re looking at one” I smiled when his head popped up “Parker is my married name”

“Oh ok, well in that case, I guess this is for you then” he handed the envelope to me “Just sign here”
I signed the little green slip and gave it back to him “thank you sir” I smiled brightly

“It’s good to see you Pres. How long are you going to be in town?”

“I dunno, I haven’t decided yet, I’m thinking through the end of the summer. Preston looks like he’s enjoying himself out here” I smiled nodding to my son playing on the tire swing that me and my sister and brother hung up when we were little.

“You should, you know how much fun summers can be around here”

“Yeah, I just might”

“Well, I better get going, it’s good to see you” he gave me a quick hug before heading back around to the front of the house.

I placed the mail down on the porch swing before going in the house to get me and Preston some sweet tea and water, and grabbing my cellphone from my room. I might go take daddy lunch today, I felt like getting out of the house now. Spencer wouldn’t want me sitting around here feeling sorry for myself and being sad.

“If anything happens to me, don’t sit around and let life pass you by. Keep living, because as long as you do, I’ll be living life through you” Spencer said the night before he deployed for his last tour. Those words hit me pretty hard at the time, and I wasn’t sure what he meant by that until now.

Kyle

I needed to run to the bank today, but was running late for work this morning, and I didn’t like Brit being late for school, so I decided to go to the bank on my lunch break. I didn’t have lunch duty this week, so it would be easy for me to leave for a few minutes to run to the bank. Before the bell rang for lunch, I headed to my car to beat all the kids coming out of their classrooms headed to the cafeteria and the courtyard for lunch. Being these halls as an adult was totally different than when we were teenagers. Watching my daughter and Pricilla’s kids roam the halls just reminded me of our time here as students. Not much had really changed, just a few upgrades, but overall Brookpoint High was still the same ole school. Granted we had new teachers, but we also still had teachers that were here when I was in high school.

I passed by the set of lockers where me and Presley’s lockers were, I smiled remembering our homecoming senior year. It was right before me and Kelly started dating, and it’s the when I realized how much I loved Presley. She had broken up with Chris Hughes, the star basketball player about two weeks before that, and she was on her bounce back. We never let her mop too long on things that like guys and grades, even though she made good grades and could have just about any guy she wanted.

***************FLASHBACK***************

“Hey P” I snuck up behind her. Scaring Presley was a something that none of us seemed to be successful at. She’s always been very observant of her surroundings. You could sneak up on her a million times, and she’d never jump, she would just give you a crazy look or hit you in the arm.

“Hey Ky, what’s up?” she smiled

“Mentally preparing myself for Mr.Hopper’s government test”

“No worries babe, you’ll pass. I know you will, I have faith in you, plus you had my help studying last night, so you’ll be okay” she closed her locker just as I put my Calculus book in mine.

“So, have you decided if you’re going to the dance tomorrow night?”

“I don’t know, I don’t really have a date, so probably night” she shrugged with a deep sigh

“If you don’t, then who am I gonna dance with? You know the Homecoming King and Queen get a spotlight dance” I leaned up against my locker facing her

She pushed herself off of her locker and turned towards our classrooms. I pushed away from the lockers, stuffed my hands in my pockets and walked next to her. She looped her right arm in mine. It was game day, so Presley was dressed in her pep-rally uniform with two mums pinned to it. One mum came from me as usual. My mom would always make a homecoming mum for Presley from me and Ms.Sadie would do the same with a garter for me from Presley. The other mum was the one that her football buddy gave her. It was tradition that every cheerleader had a football buddy that they would make a goodie back for on game day and vice versa. Presley’s football buddy was our wide receiver Jason Wyatt. I had on my jersey and the garter that Presley had given me, which was full of all of my favorites from music to candy. My football buddy Kassie Daniels had gotten me one too, but it was nowhere near as full as the one that Presley gave me.

“You’ll dance with the homecoming queen butthead” she laughed

“Don’t act like you’re not going to win P. Everybody already knows you’re going to win” I slightly nudged her.

“Ok, then, who says you’re going to win then Mr.Cocky”

“I do! And you know I will, that’s why you’re escorting me onto the field, so when they crown homecoming court, they won’t have to walk all over the field to crown King and Queen, we’ll be standing with each other” I smiled brightly

“You’re so full of it Kyle David” she laughed as we approached her English class, which was diagonally across the hall from my Government class. “I tell you what, I’ll think about it, if you can find me a date” she turned to me with a smile

“I already have one for you”

“I’m pretty sure you do” she chuckled shaking her head “Go pass your test” she slightly pushed me away

“We still going to Luke’s for lunch?”

“Yeah” she nodded

I leaned down and pecked her forehead “K, meet me at the truck then”

********* Homecoming Dance*********

“Hi sweetheart, lemme get Presley for you” Ms.Sadie said as I took a seat with Mr.M and PJ in the den. They were watching the UT/A&M game. “She’s coming down” Ms.Sadie smiled, and I returned it. “You look so nice Kyle” she smiled patting my back

“Thank you Ms.Sadie” I fiddled with the corsage that I had picked up for Presley. For some strange reason I was nervous, like this was a first date or something. I’ve been hanging out with Presley damn near since we were born, it was just another night out for us.

“That was a good game last night Hunter” Mr.M smiled. He was stern and quite man, but once you got to know him, he was pretty laid back. “You through for 4 touchdown passes, not bad…not bad at all”

“Yes, sir. It was one of my better games. You know I had to show out for homecoming” I chuckled

“Is there any other way to do it” PJ laughed

“Nope” Mr.M and I said in unison.

“Ok, I’m ready” Presley called from the top of the stairs. We all got up from the den to greet her at the bottom of the steps. She looked beautiful in a purple and silver dress. Her hair was pulled up in a bun, with rhinestone clips pinned throughout. She was breath taking.

“Wow, you look beautiful” I could feel my cheeks turning red.

“Thank you Ky” she blushed batting her eyes as she began to walk down the stairs. “You don’t look half bad yourself” she smiled when she got to the bottom of the steps, straightening my tie.

“For you” I handed her the corsage that I’d brought for her. “Lemme help you with it” I smiled taking the flower out of the box and slipping it on her arm.

“Lemme get a picture of the two of you” Ms.Sadie smiled holding up her camera. Presley and I turned around to face her, I slid my arm around her waist, and she turned in towards me. She put her hand on my chest and smiled.

“Ok, you know the rules, if it gets late, then just stay with David and Janey, just call and let us know” Mr.M said “Ya’ll have fun” he kissed his daughter’s cheek.
The dance was packed a little more than we expected it to. Chris asked Presley to dance, and she politely smiled and said no. He spent most the rest of the night watching her from across the room. When I went to get us some punch, he came over to me at the punch table.

“So, what the deal with you and Presley?” he nodded in her direction, where she was sitting at the table laughing and talking to Chad and Lisa.

“Nothing, she’s just my best friend” I shrugged

“Man, I know better than that. Ya’ll have been inspereable since elementary, but tonight something’s different”

“I dunno what you tripping on, but it’s nothing”

“But it is. You see, you have this look in your eyes when you look at her that I’ve never seen before. Are ya’ll dating?”

“No” I frowned “you broke up with her, and I didn’t want her missing her Senior year homecoming dance, that’s all. Me and Presley look out for each other” I grabbed our cups “I’m pretty sure Kelly Douglas is not enjoying you watching your ex all night” I walked off. I never really liked Chris, he was too cocky and flirted with every girl that half way smiled at him.

“Can I have your attention please?” Mrs.Hudson, our vice principal said into the microphone. The DJ lowered the music and everyone turned to face the stage “I would like to welcome you to your Homecoming Dance, and say congratulations to our Homecoming court. At this time, can we have your Homecoming King and Queen, Kyle Hunter and Presley Monroe to the middle of the dance floor for the King and Queen dance?”

“Your Majestiy” I smiled standing, extending my hand for hers.

“Your Highness” she laughed back. I lead her to the middle of the dance floor as the DJ started to play Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden. I took her hand in mine and wrapped the other around her waist, and gently pulled her close to me. I inhaled her perfume and tried with all my might to fight back the smile that was tugging at my lips. “What’s wrong” she softly smiled

“Nothing” I shook my head “you look beautiful Presley”

“Thanks Kyle”

“I told you that you’d be queen” I smiled

“Yeah, I guess you did. Thank you for being my date, I would have felt stupid showing up by myself”

“Haven’t I always had your back? Plus it just made sense for the King and Queen to come together”

“You just have all the answers and solutions huh” she laughed

“Yep”
The rest of the night was fun, filled with just a good time and laughs with Chad, Lisa, and Mikey. After the dance, we all headed over to Luke’s for a late night dinner. I glanced at my watch and it wasn’t too late, so I figured I’d take Presley home, so I wouldn’t have to do it in the morning before church. I pulled in through the back entrance of her house and parked the truck. I got out and opened the door for her.

“C’mon, I’m not sleepy yet, so” she shrugged then headed up the back porch with her shoes in her hand. I followed her as she took a seat on the porch swing. “thanks again Ky, I had a great time. I’m glad you MADE me go” she laid her head on my shoulder.

“It wouldn’t have been the same without you” I wrapped my arm around her shoulder

“I was so mad at Chris when we broke up, and not because we had broken up, but because I had just bought this dress and wasn’t going to be able to wear it”

“Well, he missed out, because you looked so beautiful coming down the stairs tonight. His lost; plus he doesn’t deserve you P” I was being honest

“You’re just saying that because you don’t like him” she looked up at me. The moonlight glowing in her brown eyes

“No, I’m saying that because you deserve better than some small town basketball star that flirts with anything in a skirt. You’re special Presley. You have a big heart, you’re smart, and you’re the most beautiful girl in Brookpoint, both inside and out. You just see the best in everybody, even when nobody else does. And you want the best for everybody. You’re so much better than him” I looked down at her, her eyes filled with tears.

“I love you Presley, and I refuse to let anybody treat you wrong” I lifted her chin with my finger. I stared into her eyes, and slowly leaned in and gently pressed my lips against hers. She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around my neck.

***************END of FLASHBACK***************

As I drove down the street towards the bank, I looked around at my surroundings. I must have been thinking about Presely too hard, because I swear I just saw her going into Luke’s.