Sometimes...

1

I walked to school as slowly as humanly possible; I hated it with a passion. I felt like nobody would even notice if I didn’t show up some days and if they did it was only because I wasn’t there to pick on. At my school the pretty girls and their boyfriends were in charge and I wasn’t one of them girls, I was plain and boring.

There was a time when I thought there was something wrong with me but I realised the fact that I was average was the reason I got overlooked constantly, no matter what I did or said or even wore it never mattered. I wandered up the school steps past a group of people and into the hallway, it wouldn’t be so bad if home wasn’t as bad; my mom had a new boyfriend and I hated him.

She was constantly with him and I just got left behind, so not only was I invisible at school I was pretty much the same at home. I walked to homeroom sitting in my seat to begin another stupid day of school; I finished up at school walking home to find nobody home. ‘Gone out for dinner, be home tonight. Make yourself dinner, you’ll have to go to the shops’ the note on the side read so I sighed grabbing some money and walking to the shops.

I grabbed a pizza stuffing it in my bag as I left the shop searching through my ipod when something hit me and knocked me off balance resulting in me dropping my phone and ipod. “Whoa, I’m sorry I never saw you there” a voice said and I hated myself for walking into someone in the first place. They bent down picking my stuff up before standing back up and I recognised them straight away. Ben Roethlisberger, one of the guys on our football team, one of the popular ones at that.

I cursed myself in my head for this thinking I’d get picked on now, “Here you go” he said handing my stuff back and I took it from him “Erm thanks” I replied quietly. “Sorry I wasn’t looking where I was going, typical man I was just thinking about food” he stated smiling and I nodded “You go to school with me, Jenna Henley right?” he asked getting my name right.

“Yeah” I replied shocked that he knew I went to his school let alone the fact he knew my name “Yeah I know you, we have a couple classes together. I’m Ben” he introduced as if I’d not know who he is. “I know and I think your in my algebra class” I admitted, “Yeah I am, you sit couple people in front of me” he replied.

It fell silent and I really wanted to just leave “I best go but sorry for walking into you, your okay?” he asked and I nodded “Sorry” he offered and I smiled awkwardly walking away. Well that was strange; he didn’t ignore me, he never picked on me, he knew who I was and he talked to me.