Sometimes...

22

“Bryony you ready?” I heard Ben whisper nearby and I smiled as I rolled onto my side in bed “Okay, go” he whispered again and I felt someone jump on the bed before collapsing on me, I opened my eyes “Happy birthday mommy!” I heard Ben and Bryony shout together. I laughed as I rubbed my eyes looking down to see Bryony lay on my side “Thank you” I said kissing her forehead “Can I give her it now?” she asked looking at Ben who nodded “Be careful” he said as she jumped off the bed running out the room.

“Happy birthday babe” Ben whispered as he sat on the bed next to me and I kissed his cheek as I sat up “You know I’ve been playing dolls since 6am with her as a distraction, she wanted in here as soon as she got up” he stated and I smiled “Aww but you love playing dolls” I teased “No I don’t I get told off for forgetting their names and not using the correct voice, bossy little madam that she is” he said smiling.

Bryony came running back into the room climbing on the bed pushing her way in-between us both “Here you go mommy” she shouted handing me a card and a present, I opened the card to see it was covered in glitter and her new favourite thing, macaroni. “Aww did you make this?” I asked and she nodded “All by yourself?” I asked and she shook her head, “Daddy helped but he kept eating the macaroni” she pouted and I laughed “Naughty daddy, I hope you told him he’d get sick” I said and she nodded “He never listens,” she said smiling and Ben laughed quietly.

I opened the present to see a scarf “Aww thanks sweetie I love it” I said kissing her cheek “It’s for when we go see daddy and it’s cold” she explained “Your so thoughtful Bryony and you managed to pick it in black and yellow what a coincidence” I stated looking at Ben who winked at me. “That was daddy, again!” she replied emphasising the again “What’s he like hey” I said “Why’s he always naughty?” Bryony asked and we both laughed “I ask myself that question all the time Bryony and you know what? I still don’t know the answer” I joked and she shook her head looking at him.

“Your bad daddy” she stated “Your cheeky! Come here” he said going to grab her and she got away but he grabbed her collapsing on the bed tickling her as she laughed. “Daddy stop!” she shouted but he kept going making her laugh more “Mommy help me!” she shouted and I smiled putting the stuff down before tickling Ben’s foot and he let her go laughing himself “Stop it Jenna!” he warned but I kept going and he nearly fell off the bed so I stopped.

“Forget daddy being bad it’s mommy that’s the naughty one,” he stated and Bryony shook her head “I’m going to play dolls” she said jumping off the bed. “Babe should we be worried about her?” he asked and I looked at him “Her imagination is something else” he stated and I laughed “Nah she’s a kid they always have imaginations, they have imaginary friends and everything sometimes” I answered him.

I tickled his foot again and he started to squirm, he managed to grab my arm and pulled me to lie on him as I laughed at him “You’re a bully Jenna Roethlisberger” he stated and I nodded. “Happy birthday baby girl” he whispered kissing me “I got you this” he said handing me a box, I pushed myself up on his chest opening it to see it was in a box; I opened the box to find a silver necklace with a heart on it with diamonds all over the heart “Bryony helped me pick it out so if you don’t like it I’m blaming her” he stated.

“You cannot blame our 3 year old daughter for that! I love it, thank you,” I said kissing him and he smiled wrapping his hand behind my neck, “You know I’m never going shopping with her again! She wanted everything she laid her eyes on and in a jewellery store that’s really not something you want, she got close to throwing a tantrum over me not buying her a $15,000 bracelet” he admitted.

“That’s your fault, you spoil her, you spoil everyone!” I replied “Yeah but you guys are worth it” “You’ll teach her bad habits, she’ll think she can have whatever she wants the way your going” I cut back “No she won’t” he stated. “Ben she asked for a pony last week and then sat looking out the window for it to be delivered, she expects to ask and for you to automatically do it” “She did that?” he asked and I nodded.

“You were at practise all day, from the moment you walked out the door she stayed sat at that front window waiting for her pony” “She really wants one that bad? Maybe we should …” “She’s not having a pony” I cut in. “Come on if she wants one that bad she’d wait by a window all day” “Ben I said no and I mean it, you can’t just keep giving her everything she asks for!” I snapped at him and he smiled.

“Remember how much you wanted a dog and your mom said no and you kind of hated her for it?” he reminded “I also remember how me not having a dog was your chat up tactics,” I stated and he smiled kissing my nose “Yeah but…” “Yeah but nothing, no pony. End of discussion, its my birthday and I’ll get what I want and I don’t want a pony” I said and he laughed, “You’re a mean mommy” “Your apparently a naughty daddy, eating macaroni! Really Ben how old are you?” I asked and he smiled.

“23” he said proudly “Too old to be eating macaroni” “Bryony kept giving me these really dirty looks for it, you know she looks just like you when she’s mad at me” he informed “Yeah well when she’s misbehaving its normally doing something you taught her” I cut back and he winked. “I love you Jenna, even if you won’t let me buy her a pony” he whispered kissing me “Mom’s going to have Bryony overnight” he whispered.

“Why?” I asked,” Because we’re going out for dinner and then out to a couple bars with the guys,” he replied as I rolled off him and lay at his side. He wrapped his arm around me pulling me into his side, his fingers played with my hair as my own traced patterns on the skin of his hip “Babe Bryony asked me something the other day, she asked about my head” he said and I nodded.

“She asked if I’d forget her and mommy, why’s she asking me that?” he asked “You know last time we came to watch you play you got concussion?” I asked and he nodded. “Well she asked what was wrong with daddy, why was he still on the ground so I had to explain you’d banged your head and you might just be a little confused. I don’t think you remember but you were a bit pissed with people, you always are when you’ve banged your head hard” I explained.

“Am I?” he asked and I nodded laughing, “You told me I was a fucking bitch and you were going to leave and go live in Spain because it’s really hot there and you like the sunshine. You also threatened to kill the guy that was trying to check you over and it took 4 of the guys to hold you still because you kept trying to take shots at him whenever he got within distance” I whispered so Bryony wouldn’t overhear.

“I did that?” he asked rolling to face me “Yeah, you always do it. I laugh now but the first time you did it you actually worried me a little bit” “I say all those things to you? Babe I’m sorry I don’t mean them, I love you you know that” he offered “I stopped believing them when you referred to yourself as Benjamin” “Oh I didn’t, I hate myself sometimes. Benjamin, what a total loser I am!” he said smiling.

“Yeah well you’d hit your head hard and was having a little angry moment when you got yourself up, Bryony saw you getting pissed with one of the medics and she asked why you were shouting. I told her you’d just forgotten who he was because you’d banged your head a little bit too hard; she must’ve just come up with you forgetting us. You never have by the way, you always manage to hurl abuse at me even if you have forgotten everyone else” I said smiling at him.

“I am a sucky person” “No it’s fine, I kind of like it. Provides me with some laughs and also I can be really mean back and you don’t remember it” I admitted “Oh so you use it to your advantage then, nice one Jenna” he joked. “Daddy come play dolls!” Bryony shouted and he rolled onto his stomach to face the door where she was stood “Aww can’t mommy play dolls instead?” he asked.

She shook her head “Can’t we play something else, daddy’s not so good at dolls” he replied “We could play princess” she stated and I smiled sitting up “Yeah I think daddy would love to play princess” I encouraged knowing Ben would hate it. “What does it involve?” he asked and she scrunched her nose up at him, that look right there was Ben; if he didn’t get what you were saying he’d scrunch his nose up at you.