Sometimes...

23

“What do we do in princess?” he asked rewording his question “Well I get to wear a pretty dress and so does Venny” Venny was Bryony’s favourite teddy bear, she’d had him since she was born and nobody was really sure where ‘Venny’ came from but that’s what she always called him. Venny was a brown bear that wore a suit but Bryony would rather he wore a dress, “Okay what else?” Ben asked and I smiled knowing what she was going to say.

“And then we play make up silly” she said and he shook his head “No princess games with daddy” he stated as I laughed getting up. “Aww but daddy you would look so good in make up” I teased and he glared at me “No make up!” “You wear eye black, I mean that’s practically eyeliner” I joked and he pushed himself up “Don’t you start with this, I’m not wearing make up end of. What other games do you have to play Bryony?” he asked.

“Why don’t you play doctors with daddy?” I asked and she nodded “Come on then” Ben said getting up holding his hand out and she grabbed it dragging him out the room. I smiled to myself as I got dressed knowing Ben would soon realise doctors wasn’t the best game in the world, Bryony was a little bit harsh; her doctors set often brought tears to my eyes when she asked to play it as she hit you with things ‘to see if it hurt.’

I got dressed walking out the room “Man alive!” Ben shouted and I laughed quietly “I think you hit daddy a little hard there Bryony” I shouted as I walked towards the noise to see Ben sat rubbing his knee and Bryony knelt next to him looking innocent. “Oh no not daddy’s bad knee” I said genuinely worried as Ben chewed at his lip his eyes closed, “What did you do?” I asked her and she looked at me holding some form of weapon of torture up. “You hit his knee with it?” I asked and she nodded “Okay how about you go find your favourite dress and mommy will help make you look really pretty for grandma coming over?” I suggested and she threw whatever it was down running out the room.

I walked over to Ben kneeling at his side as he opened his eyes “Fucking hell” he said quietly and I tried not to laugh “Why were you letting her go near your knee you idiot?” I asked “I never thought she’d hit me that hard, I think she broke a bone” he stated as I tried to get his hands away from his knee. “Careful Jenna it hurts” he warned, “I guessed” I replied running my hand over it and he flinched.

“Come on get up and I’ll get something to put on it” I said and he looked at me “How do I get up, I can’t put weight on it?” he asked and I sighed, “You pull me over and I’ll hit you harder than she did” I stated holding my hand out. He pushed himself up using his other hand and I pulled him at the same time and we managed to get him on his one good leg, he hopped over to the couch collapsing on it as I brought through something cold to put on it.

“Bet playing princess would be a lot more fun now wouldn’t it?” I asked and he glared at me “I am not wearing make up, babe I’ll do anything but make up is where I draw a line” he stated. “You okay?” I asked and he nodded “Yeah I think I will be” “Okay I’m going to play with her before she comes through with some other crazy game to damage people” I said kissing him before walking off to find Bryony in her room.

She had her dress all picked out and her shoes; I helped her pack a bag for staying at grandmas before doing her hair exactly how she wanted it. Ben was right she was a bossy little madam, her hair was so perfect I was jealous; she had bright blond curly hair and bright blue eyes which was insane considering both Ben and I had neither. She wanted it like a ballerina and she wanted make up on, Ben hated her wearing make up but it wasn’t exactly proper make up, it was that stuff you often did get for kids; it had a pink eye shadow and a pink lipstick and that was it. She wore it when she played princess and she always washed it off after awhile, she was obsessed with princesses and had been since we went to Disneyland in the summer.

“Babe door!” Ben shouted and I got up “Grab your jacket and shoes because it’ll be grandma” I said, “I can’t do them up” she replied ”Take them to daddy and he’ll do it but be careful of his knee” I warned. “Don’t forget your bag!” I shouted as I walked away to the door.

I opened it “Hey honey” “Hi dad” I said hugging Ben’s dad. I’d called them mom and dad long before we got married, things were tough being parents and still going to college but thanks to The Roethlisberger’s we’d both managed to finish college successfully without having to miss a year, they had always helped us out and they had Bryony at least once a week unlike my own mother who we only saw on holidays. When I fell pregnant they sold their house and moved to live here in Pittsburgh with us to help us out and we were forever grateful.

“Happy birthday” his mom said and I thanked her taking the present from her “Where are they?” she asked, “Ben’s laid up on the couch” I replied “Why what happened?” she asked as they walked in. “Bryony had an accident” I stated as we walked into the lounge to find Ben doing Bryony’s jacket up, “Ben what happened?” his mom asked looking worried.

“Bryony and I were playing and she just got my knee didn’t you sweetie?” he asked and she nodded “What do you say?” I asked and she looked at him “Sorry daddy” “It’s okay, you be good for grandma and grandpa won’t you?” he asked and she nodded. “Good girl, see you tomorrow. Love you,” he said as she climbed up onto the couch next to him before kissing him and he smiled helping her down before she ran over to me.

“Bye mommy” she shouted as I leant down “Bye, love you” I said kissing her and she ran to her grandpa, I walked with them to the door before going back to Ben. “You okay?” I asked and he nodded “She’s got an arm on her hasn’t she?” he replied and I laughed sitting next to him. “Your phone went earlier, it was Craig saying happy birthday,” he informed and I nodded.