Sometimes...

24

He kept playing with the cushion on the couch and I knew there was something on his mind but going quiet on him always made him talk so I let silence take over. True to form several minutes later he was ready to talk “Babe what do I say to you when I bang my head?” he asked and I rolled my eyes laying down next to him, “Don’t worry about it” I reassured as he shifted to wrap an arm around my shoulders.

“But I am, can we talk about it please?” he asked and I nodded “What happens?” he asked, “What do you remember?” I replied. “I normally remember what happened, who did it and how I’m going to get them back but nothing much else, I just presume I’ve been out cold” he admitted. “In the whole time I’ve known you you’ve only ever been out cold about 3 times” “Seriously?” he asked sounding shocked.

I nodded “If it’s a small bang your fine, they either take you out the way or they let you do your own thing. You seem to know yourself well enough and they let you ride it out your way. If you’ve hit it hard they know straight away because you get really grouchy quickly, the guys seem to know and surround you so you can’t get at anyone. You just like to fight with people and you’ve got a sharp tongue on you” I admitted.

“Meaning?” “Meaning you’re a harsh bastard, you just seem to be out for blood when you hit your head hard. I mean you do say some really horrible things to people but everyone knows you don’t mean them so it’s okay. I never bring Bryony near you when your like it, probably not good for her to see daddy trying to kill someone or shouting horrible things at people” I explained. “Have I ever hit anyone?” he asked and I nodded “Quite a few times, remember that medic at the last Ravens game; he was tall with real dark hair, proper mean looking?” I asked.

“The one that looked like he should be playing not sorting us out?” he asked “Yeah you had him against the wall and tried to beat him up, he was terrified; it took about 4 of them to drag you away from him and force you to sit down and let him check you over” “Okay so I don’t remember ever being that way, what do I say though?” he asked rubbing his knee and I pushed his hand from it.

“You insult people, you just say really harsh things about them that’s all; everyone knows what your like and if they’re new we all pretty much make sure they know you don’t mean it. I think the fact you’re nice normally covers your ass from getting beat up,” I admitted. “What do I say to you?” he asked and I shook my head “Tell me Jenna,” he demanded. “You say you hate me, you call me names, you say your leaving me, things about Bryony on occasions; that sort of thing” I explained.

“What do I say about Bryony?” he asked “You’ve said she’s not yours a few times, I’m not going to lie, the first few times that upset me” “Babe I’m sorry, I don’t mean it. I love you guys, I know you’d never cheat on me and I know Bryony’s mine, jeez Jenna I can’t believe I do this” he said shifting his weight to face me. I nodded “I know you don’t mean it now but it was a bit of a shock the first few times” I admitted “Babe I am so sorry, I would never say that to you or even think that normally. How are you still even with me?” he asked.

“I ask myself that quite often” I joked and he nudged me “Don’t joke,” “Well Bryony seems to think your naughty too” I teased and he laughed “I can’t believe how grown up she is these days” “She’s 4 soon enough, we really need to sort her school out. Her friends are going to that big school nearby, maybe we should look there?” I suggested. “I was thinking about the one across town” “Ben that place is really expensive,” I stated, “Yeah but they’re really good” “So is the other one. Plus she gets to stay with her friends; I’d rather she went with her friends. It’ll make the change easier on her if she knows people there” I explained and he nodded.

“Can we at least look into the other school please?” he asked “Yes but it doesn’t mean she’s gong there, how’s she going to get across town everyday? I really don’t want her going on a bus that far and your parents can’t take her everyday and neither can we” I replied. “Yes we can, I can take her before practise” “And what about when you hit your head and your not allowed to drive or if you do something else to yourself? You can’t drive now with your knee, how the doctor said you’re allowed to drive with that thing I don’t know” I snapped at him.

“I only drive myself, I haven’t driven with Bryony in the car so calm down” “Oh driving yourself is so much better, you could still crash. Maybe it won’t be our little girl you hurt but it could be someone else’s,” I argued and he sighed, “Okay okay, I won’t drive until it’s back to normal. Jeez woman you get at me some days” he teased, “I’m your wife, this is my job” “You’ve been nagging at me long before we got married!” he argued.

“Roethlisberger shut up” “You shut up,” he stated ”Make me!” I snapped and he smiled kissing me, he pushed himself nearer to me deepening the kiss “That seemed to work” he whispered as he pulled away. “I love her to death but I kind of like having time to ourselves when she’s not here” he said as he laid on his back, I snuggled into his side nodding “I know she’s a whirlwind sometimes, I never realise how difficult things can be until she’s gone. I hope she behaves for your parents,” I stated.

“She does, dad says she never misbehaves; she knows they won’t take it. Unlike us that gives in” “No us, you give in, I play bad cop and you play good cop; can we swap just for one day?” I asked and he smiled “We can swap on the next one” “I hope you mean next tantrum not next child” I replied. “I totally meant next child” he admitted laughing “Babe seriously, I want more kids,” he stated, “I know you do but remember what we said?” I asked, “Yes, ‘when it happens it happens’ I just think now would be good timing. We’re in so much of a better place than we were when we had her,” he explained.

“Yeah I know but that’s no excuse, this time we really will be on our own. Your parents won’t be rushing to have the baby over night so we can get sleep this time around, we don’t have exams to be sitting or homework to do, this one would be all on us” I replied. “I know but we did a good job with her, they didn’t have her all that much. I know we’d never have got through it all as well as we did without them all but we’d have managed,” he reasoned.

“Ben do you honestly think we would because I don’t? Look what we have now and tell me you think we’d be the same without their help, do you really think the chances of you playing in the nfl would be the same?” I asked and he shrugged “Maybe, okay I get your point but I still think now would be a good time” he said kissing my cheek.

“So baby you like your scarf?” he asked and I nodded ”Nice colour scheme” I joked “Thanks, you can wear it at the next game. You like your necklace?” he asked and I nodded “I’m kind of scared to wear it though” “Why? It wasn’t that expensive” he replied “You said that about my engagement ring” “Yeah well I paid that loan off now so it’s all good,” he said.

“Yeah the fact you had to take a loan out proves it was expensive, considering the fact we were at college it was expensive” “Yeah but you said yes and that’s all that matters, I know you don’t like me buying things that cost loads but if we’ve got the money why not? What’s the point in not having what we want when we can afford it, we’ve got enough saved away so if anything happens we can survive. You sound like my dad sometimes” he teased.

“I do not sound like your dad” I cut back and he nodded kissing me “You know I could quite happily stay on this couch all day” he whispered “Me too” “Maybe that’s a sign we should? We’ve got to be at dinner at like 6 and we’re meeting the guys at 8. Are you coming to that dinner thing next week with me?” he asked. “The charity thing?” I asked and he nodded “Yeah what about Bryony?” I asked.

“Already asked mom and dad although I think she can come with us,” he said as his phone rang “Hello” he answered, “Why? No I don’t its next week, you’re kidding? Ergh I’ll be there” he groaned hanging up. “Okay so that’s my plans ruined, I have a doctors appointment apparently, and I thought it was next week but I’m told it was 5 minutes ago. I’ve got to get to the stadium, I’ll be back soon,” he explained pushing himself up.

He bit down on his lip as he put weight on his knee; I got up grabbing his keys before he could get there “I’ll be fine” “Ben your not driving, you can’t walk on it so you shouldn’t be driving. What did I say about it being someone else?” I asked and he rolled his eyes “Well I’ll get a lift from someone” he said pulling his phone out. “I’ll drive you get in the car, your such a loser sometimes” I teased kissing him before pulling shoes on as he did the same.

I helped him into the car before getting in myself and driving to the stadium, “Oh and if your not driving the car going on that bike is totally not happening” I stated as I got out the car and he went to back answer but I slammed the door shut. He opened his door “Jenna…” “Nope” I stated putting the keys in my pocket “Happy birthday Jenna!” I heard someone shout and turned to see Brett.

“Thanks Brett, how are you?” I asked as I helped Ben out the car “Good you?” “Yeah I’m good thanks” I replied. “Whoa what’s happened to you?” Brett asked as Ben limped over to him “Bryony happened,” he stated and Brett laughed. “Coach will not be happy with you, you’re supposed to be resting that thing,” Brett stated, “I am I was sat down when she did it!” Ben replied “Aww just think this is the second doctor you’ll have seen today” I joked “Yeah Dr. Bryony Roethlisberger will never get many patients because she’ll kill them all the way she treats people” Ben cut back.

Brett laughed, “She’s so cute though” he reasoned “Yeah that’s her main weapon, lulls you into a false sense of security and then bam she’s battering your knee with some plastic instrument! You still coming out tonight?” “Yeah we’ll be there, you best get inside before the doctor leaves. See you guys later!” he said as he walked away and I waved before walking with Ben inside.