Sometimes...

25

“What the hell!” the coach shouted and Ben held his hand up “It’s not as bad as it looks” “Then why can’t you walk on it?” he shouted as the doctor walked into the room we were in. “I’ve been laid up since I did it so it’s just stiff, I’ll be fine. I wanted to check before I took anything for it” Ben lied. “You’re supposed to be resting that thing! Great so that’s my quarterback out, do you know how difficult it is swapping around at last minute?” the coach shouted.

Ben sat down taking the telling off “Jenna I thought you would tell him” the coach said turning on me “Hey lets leave my wife out of this, it’s not her fault” Ben defended going to stand up “He has been resting it, it was our daughter; she just caught it this morning when they were playing. It was a total accident,” I explained.

I hated this guy, he wasn’t head coach but he thought he was. He was helping the head coach out because he’d been having family troubles and was out of state for a few weeks leaving this guy and another to run things, Ben wasn’t exactly keen on this one either. “Well she should know better!” “I hope by the term ‘she’ you weren’t referring to my wife or my kid” Ben snapped at him as the doctor walked over to me.

“I don’t think I’ll get much sense out of him right now so I’ll ask you, what happened?” he asked quietly and I smiled explaining, he nodded; Dr. Fernnel was really nice. He always tried to compromise things but he’d tell them straight if he thought something was really wrong and the guy had taken enough abuse from Ben when he’d hit his head and wouldn’t let the guy near him. “Just do what you want to do while he’s talking he won’t mind” I reassured and he nodded going back to Ben.

He picked up something to check his blood pressure and Ben automatically held his arm out still talking to the coach. “Well maybe you should make it more clear that she shouldn’t do things like that” the coach snapped “Bryony’s 3! We were playing, she didn’t mean to do it” “Well can’t your wife play with her?” the coach argued back.

“No! Bryony’s my daughter, I want to play with her” Ben snapped at him “What even if she means you have to sit out of games?” “Do you have kids?” Ben asked and the guy shook his head ”Exactly! You’re over exaggerating, I’ll be fine; it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve played injured anyway. It’ll be fine right Doctor?” Ben asked as the guy was checking his knee over.

“It really feels no different to last week when he wasn’t walking that well” “He has been a lot better on it, this weekend he was walking fine and he was doing some exercise with it and he was fine” I cut in and the doctor nodded. “Yeah, I’m not saying it’s not a setback but it’s not done any damage. We’re just back to how it was last week, if you can do the same again and maybe be a bit more careful with Bryony then you should honestly be back to normal to play” he explained.

He finished doing a check up on him “Doctor should he be driving on that thing?” I asked and he shook his head “Did you pass him last time?” I asked and Ben looked at him, I knew Ben was lying before; this guy would never pass anyone to drive on anything remotely painful let alone what Ben’s knee had been. The doctor looked at him and Ben glared at him but it wouldn’t work out “No I didn’t I told him not to drive and to not get on a bike” “I knew you were lying Roethlisberger, you really think I’m that stupid?” I asked and Ben looked at the floor.

“I was…” “Not listening, lying to your wife Ben. How low can you get?” I asked and he smiled at me “Okay you win I lied and I shouldn’t be driving but I only drove on it a couple times” “Yeah and I’m changing the code to the garage, your not going anywhere near that bike until you can do back flips” I stated. “Babe I’ve never been good at them,” he said smiling “Yeah well start learning” “I wouldn’t advise that! If playing doctors gets him like this imagine what a back flip would do?” the doctor joked and we both laughed.

“Sorry I got the dates mixed up, thanks for waiting around for me. I’ll see you next time” Ben said shaking the doctors hand “Yeah and remember no driving” “Yeah I won’t” Ben said smiling at him. “Bye” I stated smiling as we walked out “That guys a dick, ergh if he got on the end of one of them punches when I’ve hit my head I wouldn’t be too bothered” Ben whispered and I smiled “Me neither if I’m honest” I replied and he laughed kissing my cheek as we went back to the car.