Sometimes...

28

Ben put his arm around me as we sat down “Brett will eat his words when he sees my beard” he whispered, “Please don’t” “I’m doing it, I’ll grow my hair too,” he whispered back his hand on my neck “That helps because?” “Because you like it, you’re always playing with my hair when I have it longer” he answered smiling before kissing me.

We sat talking and drinking for awhile, Ben was slowly getting drunk due to the fact he’d been drinking doubles as well as beer; “Ben Roethlisberger” a girl said and he looked up “Do I know you?” he asked and she shook her head, “No we’re just fans, your amazing!” she stated and I noticed the girls were the same that’d spoken to him at the bar before.

He smiled “Thanks” he stated before looking away from them “I heard you busted your knee, is it okay?” the girl asked “Yeah it’s fine” Ben answered as she smiled “Your so much cuter in real life, we don’t see you out very often” she stated and he sighed. “I have a wife and a daughter who’d I’d rather be with, what’s the point in going out drinking when I can spend time with them. Look I don’t want to be rude but it’s my wife’s birthday and I’d quite like to spend it with her and our friends” Ben snapped at them and I squeezed his hand, “Hey Ben did you see that about the Colts?” Brett asked trying to distract him.

“Yeah I did” “So partying isn’t your thing?” the girl asked, “No, never had the reason to go out, get wasted and hook up with complete randomers, just not my style and people who do it really aren’t the sort of people I want to be friends with” he snided at the girls “Leave it will you” I whispered and he rolled his eyes.

“Well they’re the ones talking to me” he replied quietly “Yeah and you can just not be argumentative with them” I whispered back “Yeah but they won’t leave us alone” “Well ignore them and they will” I replied and he smiled “Or I could just do this,” he whispered before kissing me. He put his hand on my neck before slowly pulling away kissing me softly again “And that Jenna Roethlisberger, unlike you, never gets old” he said and I rolled my eyes. “Brett seriously don’t buy him another drink because otherwise I’ll have to carry him home and well I don’t fancy my chances” I said as Brett put more drinks on the table.

“Girls Ben’s asked you nicely so we would really appreciate it if you gave us some space right now” Brett said and they sighed before walking off. “Seriously what is with them girls? I cannot stand people that do that; did I invite you over? No I didn’t I was…” “Ben for the love of all things pure will you shut up!” I snapped at him and he laughed. “All right but only because you asked so nicely” he joked before picking his drink up.

“Can we crash this little party?” Hines asked and Ben nodded moving around “Careful there’s a…” Fuck!” Ben shouted jumping forward and a grin spread across Brett’s face “Metal pole there” Brett finished his sentence as Hannah started to laugh. Ben’s arm that was around me was now under the table on what I presumed was his bad knee as his other hand covered his mouth “I think I’m going to throw up” he said quietly taking deep breaths.

“Aww babe” I said rubbing his back, Brett looked at him as he squeezed his eyes shut “I tried to tell you” Brett offered and Ben ignored the comment. He always felt sick when he was in a lot of pain “Well at least we know he’s not all that drunk, he can still feel pain” I stated and Hannah smiled, “You okay dude?” Hines asked and Brett shook his head as a sign to keep quiet.

“He’ll be fine,” I mouthed at him and he nodded, we carried on talking as Ben rested his head on the table and I kept rubbing his back; a couple of minutes later and they were all talking but Ben still had his head on the table. I leant forward “You okay?” I whispered and he nodded slowly “Sure?” I asked and he sat up a bit “Yeah, that hurt more than Bryony this morning” he said quietly.

“Well it will do you just smacked it on metal pole and Bryony all ready did a good job of banging it up this morning” “Babe it hurts” he whispered as I kissed his cheek “It will do, lay of the alcohol though because drinking won’t help you out. How bad is it?” I asked “Bad” he replied. “Bad enough to need medical attention?” I asked and he shook his head “Just aches a lot” he said as we both sat up.

“Well it was already sore before this morning, Bryony bashed it, you’ve been walking on it, you’ve been stood up for a long time tonight and then you go hit it on metal; it’s bound to hurt a little bit” I said and he nodded “I know I’m just tired of it hurting, it needs to get better” “Well it will but you being impatient and rushing things with it doesn’t help you, take it easy for a few days and it’ll be fine” I stated.

“Nice heads up Brett!” “Hey I tried but you were too eager to move up, you okay?” he asked and Ben nodded, Brett started talking to him trying to keep his mind off his knee. I moved my hand to his leg running it carefully down to his knee to find his own hand, he moved his arm so it was wrapped around my waist again leaving my hand on his knee as I rubbed at his knee carefully.

“Thanks babe” he whispered “You know you’re like having another child sometimes” I stated and he smiled. “So Brett when you popping the question?” Ben asked and Brett’s eyes widened before he glared at Ben “Jeez we’ve only been dating 8 months” Hannah said and Brett looked relieved by her answer “Yeah but 8 months is long enough to know surely?” Ben asked and I shook my head at him.

“Her parents hate me, I think I need to work on them before we go taking anymore big steps in our relationship” “Hey I’m just putting it out there” Ben defended “Yeah, anyway when’s the next kid due?” Brett asked “I was asking this earlier, I want more but Mrs Patience over here doesn’t” Ben stated pointing to me. “Really?” Brett asked “It’s not that I don’t its just I don’t think we should plan on it happening” “Why?” Brett asked.

“Because then if it doesn’t we don’t get disappointed” Ben answered “She has a fair point, plus you don’t have to carry the kid around for 9 months. 5 minutes and your jobs done” Hannah said “5 minutes? Hannah if its taking him 5 minutes you’re with the wrong guy” Ben teased “Thanks for that Hannah, that’s all I’m going to hear about for the next year” Brett groaned as Ben smiled.

“5 minutes really?” Ben asked a Hines laughed “I’ve gone longer than 5 minutes with a broken collar bone” Hines bragged “Yeah I can last longer than 5 minutes with this knee and I could barely move when I first did it” Ben informed “Benjamin shut up” I snapped and he cringed “Benjamin!” Brett teased and Ben glared at me.

“I thought you’d grown out of bragging about sex when you were in college” I stated and he smiled “Never grow too old for this kind of behaviour, especially when your best friend can only go 5 minutes” Ben said laughing. “Shut up Benjamin” “You want to say that to my face?” Ben asked “Benjamin” Brett said grinning at him and Ben tensed, it was so small but being called Benjamin really got to him.

He hated it, he tolerated it more from me and his family; his close friends got away with it once or twice but not very often. If I called him it more than a couple times he’d get grumpy and ignore me or snap at me and storm off; the same for the rest of his family.