Sometimes...

29

“What you think because you’ve got a beard your all that?” Ben asked, “Yeah, I do Roethlisberger. Bring it!” Brett replied “Seriously you 2? How come you always descend into childish play fighting?” Hannah asked and I smiled “Because they’re immature boys and that’s what they do, they couldn’t act their age if they tried! Is he as bad?” I asked Hines’ girlfriend and she shook her head.

“Charming so we got the immature ones, we sure know how to pick them” Hannah joked “In my defence he was 16 when we started dating” I replied. “16, how old are you now?” Hines’ girlfriend asked and I looked at her “I’m 24 now, he’s still 23 for a bit longer” “So you guys have been together since you were 16?” she asked and I nodded.

“Yeah they met in school and started dating then, these guys have been together forever” Hines explained and I smiled “That’s so cute, you’ve never broken up or anything?” she asked “Nope, since I was 16 he’s been the only guy I’ve been around. It’s sad really isn’t it?” I asked and Ben nudged me. “That’s adorable! So he was your first boyfriend?” she asked “First proper boyfriend yeah” “Yeah she was my first real girlfriend too, we went to college together and everything” Ben cut in.

“But I thought your daughter was nearly 4?” she asked “Yeah she’s 4 in April, she was born during our second year of college; I turned 20 the month before she was born and we both graduated at 21” Ben explained “Oh okay, so how long have you been married?” she asked “2 years and 3 months” “I don’t think she needed you to be that specific Ben” I stated and he laughed.

“He’ll be doing hours and minutes next” Brett teased “Shut up Mr 5 Minutes!” Ben replied smiling. “So you went through college with a kid?” Hines’ girlfriend asked, “Whoa 20 questions” Hines teased her and she looked worried “Ignore him your fine to ask, yeah we did. Luckily we lived on our own so we had no roommates to annoy when Bryony cried all night, it was hard but we had a lot of help from Ben’s parents. When we had our exams they would look after her, they’re the reason we managed to graduate at 21” I replied as the guys started talking.

“That’s pretty cool, I mean I’d never have been able to have a kid that young” “We never planned her, but we’d been together just over 3 and a half years when I fell pregnant so we were pretty sure of each other by that point” I admitted and she smiled. “I’ve never really known them to argue either, I mean he never comes to practise venting” Hines said “No if he irritates me I just ignore him, it’s pretty easy once you know how; plus it’s a well known fact I’m always right” I joked “Yeah so she’ll tell you” Ben cut in and I laughed.

The others all started talking and I felt Ben leaning into my side “Your pretty” he whispered “Your pretty drunk” I replied and he smiled kissing my cheek, “Did I tell you that you look incredible in that dress?” he asked and I rolled my eyes, I felt his breath on my neck “Well you do, amazingly incredible; I love you” he whispered kissing my neck ad I shook my head moving from him. “Cool it Romeo” I whispered in his ear and he winked “When are you taking me home?” he asked and I smiled “When your sober enough to try walk on that knee so no more drinking” I warned and he smiled.

“Anything for you” he whispered in my ear and I groaned “Shut up already” I teased “Nope, you love it when I come on to you” he joked “I don’t think I ever said that” I replied “Nope but the fact its rare I get a turn down kind of gives me the answer” he whispered and I heard the smile in his voice. “It’s called humouring you” “It’s called thinking I’m a total stud” he answered as I laughed, “Them girls really did boost your ego didn’t they? You might be the cute and amazing quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to them but you’ll always be annoying, snores in his sleep, walks around the house in his boxers Ben Roethlisberger to me” I cut back and he laughed.

“But you’d never have me any other way” he whispered “Who told you that?” I asked, “You did once” “I lied” I stated. “No you never, I know when your lying and babe you love me, it’s okay though because I know its not your fault I’m just a total stud and girls all over just fall for me” he joked and I laughed. “Okay see that ego? Lose it before I do damage to it, arrogance does not look good on you” I warned as he smiled at me.

“Fine, when are we going home together?” he asked and I rolled my eyes “Not until really late, I want to get wasted! It’s my birthday dammit” I lied “Babe please! You cannot hold your alcohol so don’t try, I’m not sitting up with you while you throw up again, that was a one time thing. Plus I’m kind of on the way to drunk too and well I don’t think us getting drunk together is advisable,” he whispered and I laughed. “Remember what happened that first time we got wasted together?” he asked and I smiled nodding.

“Don’t think Craig ever got over finding us 2 in his bed that morning, it was funny but I took some crap on the field from him after that” he replied making me laugh quietly, “I still don’t really remember much” I admitted “Yeah me neither but it’s safe to say activities occurred that shouldn’t occur in a friends bed that night” he said trying not to laugh but we burst both out laughing “You 2 are like naughty teenagers sometimes, I dread to think what your talking about” Brett said and he both smiled at him.

“Anyway what were you 2 all whispery about?” Ben asked and I smiled at him “Come on what you doing?” he questioned “Nothing” “Don’t lie” he warned and I smiled at him “Okay Brett and I are kind of seeing each other” I joked and he laughed “Mr 5 minutes over there can’t satisfy one woman so the idea he’s got you as well really is a joke, plus he could never live up to what your used to” Ben said and I laughed at him. “So tell me” he demanded and I rolled my eyes “If I did it would ruin it and it’s not a bad thing,” I admitted.

“Fine” he snapped before sulking and I smiled “If I told you you’d only get pissed that I told you so just be happy with not knowing, you’ll find out eventually” I reassured and he rolled his eyes. Ben started to wind Brett up again and after another hour or so we left for home “Your knee still hurt?” I asked and he nodded as he limped to the house, “You want something for it before bed?” I asked and he shrugged as he unlocked the door.

“Well they’re still next to the bed if you want them, you really need to be careful of that thing. I don’t want you sulking around at home because your missing games because of it” I stated as we walked in the house, he collapsed on the bed “I’m not moving until morning,” he said making me laugh. “Well you’re not sleeping in that so you will have to move” I replied as I pulled my pyjamas on and he groaned sitting up, I wandered to the kitchen returning to see him laid on the bed in his boxers “See what I mean with the boxers thing?” I asked and he flipped me off.

“You know being married to you isn’t a walk in the park either,” he snapped at me and I nodded “Yeah you do that annoying thing where you tell me off for stuff, you always make me do the right thing, you seem to be right a lot of the time and I seem to live by your rules even though this is my house” he explained “Hey I paid for the house too you know” I cut in waiting for his answer “Jenna you had as much input in the paying of this house as I did with your pregnancy” “Yeah which was obviously enough to do the job” I replied and he laughed.

“Yeah well shut up” he snapped ”Yeah well that sounds like the argument of a loser” “Conversation over” he stated as I put the glass of water on the side “Here choke on it” I said and he smiled “Thanks honey” “Anytime, hang on if you die I get everything right?” I asked and he nodded “Apart from my overwhelming millions they all go to Brett Keisel, hope working hard goes well” he joked and I smacked his head.

“I work hard, well as hard as I can when I have Bryony asking me to do stuff constantly and then you doing the same thing” “I know you do I was playing with you, you do more work than I do, I just throw things at people and try not to get knocked over at the same time. Sounds kind of unchallenging and easy when I say it like that,” he admitted smiling as he took his pills. I crawled into bed as he turned the light out “See I didn’t choke” he whispered, “Yeah its poison, takes a while to kick in. Have fun breathing” I joked and he laughed.

“I love your homicidal jokes, they’re the only reason we’re still together” “One of these days it won’t be a joke” I replied ”Bring it, I can take on The Ravens so I can take on you” he stated “Yeah like The Ravens are anything compared to me and technically you weren’t very successful taking on The Ravens because that is where you picked up this charming knee injury” I reminded and he laughed as he wrapped his arm around my waist.

“Ssh you” he whispered against my neck and I rolled to face him “Careful” he warned moving his leg “I never touched you” “I know I was just reminding you” he stated. “You think Bryony is behaving?” I asked and he nodded “If she isn’t grandpa will make her watch history shows until she’s that bored she begs to go to bed” he joked and I smiled ”You know he would do that right?” I asked and he nodded.

“Hey can we get her a pony for Christmas?” he asked and I smacked his arm “No freaking ponies!” I stated and he laughed “Well what about a puppy?” he asked and I shook my head “Babe” “No, Ben I said no and I mean no. You buy her one and you really will be in trouble, I’m serious! No animals” I snapped and he sighed “Why?” he whined “Because she’s not old enough to look after one properly and if you buy her it and you end up looking after it she’s not learning anything other than daddy will bail me out constantly and I’m not having it. In a couple years time maybe so but not now” I lectured and he groaned.

“Well can daddy have a puppy?” “No he cannot! If you have one she’ll want one and we’re back to the last comment” I replied and he sighed “For someone who claims to love me I don’t get my way very often” “And that Benjamin is life” I stated. “Don’t call me that,” he said “Why?” I asked “I hate it, I sound like an idiot when you call me Benjamin” “That’s why it suits you” I joked.

“Shut up” he whispered kissing me “This changes nothing your still an idiot” I stated kissing him again “Yeah well your stupid too” he replied before kissing me, I nipped his bottom lip “Hey you” he whispered smiling before kissing me again his hand tangling into my hair as he deepened the kiss “Hey do you still name every nfl player?” I teased “Yeah I get as far as Brett Keisel and suddenly I’m not in the mood anymore” he joked and I laughed.

“Winner” I said smiling as he hooked my leg over his waist “Thank you Brett Keisel” he laughed as I kissed him again, “I’m so telling Brett you think about him in the bedroom” “Babe he knows I think about him in the bedroom, he’s always on my mind” he joked “You 2 really are getting serious aren’t you?” “Damn straight, he’s moving in soon” he said and I laughed.

I took my leg from him careful not to get his knee “I’m excited about the beard, I mean it’s going to keep my face warm right?” he asked and I burst out laughing, “You never fail to make me laugh do you? You’ll look a fool you know this right?” I asked and he smiled “Yep but Brett’s face will be worth it” he replied as I rolled over. “His face is always worth it” I joked as he pulled me into his body “This is true, night babe” he whispered kissing my neck.