Sometimes...

32

I groaned as I heard Ben's cell ringing "Babe get that will you?" he yelled from the lounge and I searched it out in the kitchen picking it up. "Hello?" "He...who's this?" a girls voice asked, "Maybe I should ask you that! You rang me after all" I reminded "Are you kidding me? Put my phone down! Who have you rung?" I heard Katie's voice yell and I laughed.

"I swear I'll...Ben! You rang Ben?" "Well Ben's actually playing with the puppy" I corrected, "Oh Jenna! I'm sorry, my friend thinks she's funny! I'm sorry!" "Don't be! I was slightly worried as why some woman was ringing him but as long as it's you! How are you?" I quizzed leaning against the counter. "I'm great! I'm on my way back to work so I can't exactly chat but I'll ring you later okay? Bye!" she explained hanging up.

"Ben can I ask you something?" I said as I walked into the lounge to see him laid on his back with Monty, who really wasn't a puppy anymore, trying to pull the rope from around his ankle which was fast becoming his new favourite game. "Anything?" "Why's some woman ringing you?" I stated and he never even glanced my way "Because I'm having an affair" he lied making me laugh, "Yeah Roethlisberger like you have the ability to do that" "Well ask a stupid question and get a stupid answer" he chuckled making me smile.

"Who was it then?" "Your sisters fried stole her phone, Katie says she'll run you later" I repeated the message and he nodded "We won't hold our breath will we Monty?" he stated making me smile and I kicked his side gently as I walked back. "Babe one of these days I'll get payback, anyway you want to come down to the field with me later? Bryony can come as well, be a good time out" he suggested and I nodded walking back in with 2 drinks.

"Good! Thanks! Enough know Montague go lay down" he called and Monty ran off to his bed making me smile as Ben sat at my side. I felt his hand on my shoulder as he rested his arm around the back of the couch, "Dad said Bryony asked about school, are you positive this school is right for us?" "This isn't about us it's about her! She wants to be with her friends and if we don't let her then we're not thinking of her, let her have this one and when it comes to high school you can have your way a bit more. Maybe" I added and he laughed.

"I like how there's no definite there! Anyway Jenna what's your plans now?" he quizzed "Well I've got an interview in 2 weeks time and I'll keep doing this until then" I admitted and he kissed my cheek making me smile. "So does that mean you'll stop this?" I nodded slowly "I'm nervous though, I've not done that job for years" I replied and he nodded, "You'll do just fine, I have faith in you" "You're meant to say that, I'm your wife!" I joked and he nodded.

I was sat in the car with Bryony as Ben drove through town, we got to the field and I picked Bryony up carrying her towards the others as Ben held my hand. I saw Brett wave and Ben led me over to them "Hey do you still hate this thing?" I shook my head "I remember first time here though! I wanted to die when you left me with them" I mumbled as I saw the other wives, girlfriends and kids stood around.

They always did this after the draft, everyone came down to the field and meet each other informally. Ben wandered off with the guys as I sat with Hannah as Bryony played with the seat next to us "Bryony sweetie don't do that" I said and she sat down  pouting, "Bryony that's not a happy face" Hannah pointed out and she smiled at her.

"Mommy I want to go play with daddy" "Well he can't play right now but if you want to go see him you know where he is. "Can I?" I nodded pointing out Ben on the field although I knew she'd seen him already. "Be careful and do as he says because remember daddy's working do you keep quiet and behave" I warned and she nodded jumping down climbing over the sides and on to the field running towards him.

I saw Ben pick her up sitting her on his back as he spoke to the others and she rested her head on his shoulder watching them all. "Come on let's go say hello and chat now that troubles annoying her father" I joked standing up and we both introduced ourselves to the newer girls and their kids.

We'd been talking to a group of girls for awhile when I heard a scream I knew and instinct forced me to turn towards the noise to see Bryony laid on the field. "Oh damn! I am so sorry!" a girls voice nearby muttered as Ben scooped Bryony up and another of the new guys grabbed the kid near her looking to shout at him. I saw Ben smile at her walking towards me, I met him at the barriers. The other girl leant against the barrier as Ben shifted Bryony around in his arms and I saw she had a graze on her knee that was bleeding and her hands were grass stained.

"She's fine" I reassured him and he nodded "Bryony stop now! It's over with, stop crying! He was playing around and you fell now pack it in" he snapped at her and she wiped her eyes stopping. "Mommy" she croaked and I took her from him as she buried her head in my neck, "Ben I am so sorry! He never normally plays like that" "He's a boy, he's fine! She will be fine, she can cry easily sometimes" he reasoned as the guy looked mortified.

They walked back off as I walked back to Hannah and the girls "Bryony you better stop this crying business because daddy will be mad at you" I reminded as he kept up her crying as I started talking to the girls again. "Are you sure she's okay?" "Yes! She'll be okay, I'd she wasn't Ben would let you know" I reasoned and she smiled at me.