Sometimes...

4

Next Wednesday came around and I spotted the cheerleaders walking past with some of the footballers, I grabbed my books to go to class and walked straight into someone and they grabbed my arm to stop me falling over “This one is your fault” they said and I looked up to see Ben smiling “Sorry I never saw you” I said quietly.

“We’re almost even now” he joked and I nodded walking off before anyone said anything to me. “Jenna!” he shouted and I froze turning to face him “Do we have any algebra homework?” he asked and I shook my head “Thanks” he said smiling before walking off himself and I went to class.

I was walking home when I heard a voice shout, “Peyton!” “Peyton come back! Sit!” the voice shouted and I looked to see a big dog running towards me “Peyton stop!” the voice shouted but the dog never stopped.

It slowed its pace as it swerved through people and I saw it look at the road as though it might cross “Hey buddy” I said walking towards it and it looked at me “What’s this?” I asked holding out some of the chocolate I was eating and it walked towards me sitting down, I gave it a small piece as I crouched down grabbing its collar.

It panted as I petted it before licking my face and I laughed "Your cute aren’t you, what are you doing running around the streets hey?” I asked talking to the dog. “Peyton you little…I swear your not coming off this leash again!” a voice scolded and I smiled “You walk into people and you lose your dog, very responsible” I stated, “Jenna thanks so much! I never lost him, just couldn’t keep up” Ben replied as I laughed.

“Well maybe you should keep him on a leash?” I suggested as the dog pushed at my hand with his nose trying to make me pet him again so I did as he wanted scratching his ears. “He normally comes back when I shout him,” Ben offered “Listen at him blaming you, your too cute to misbehave aren’t you?” I asked the dog and Ben laughed.

“He’s always misbehaving aren’t you big fella, come on lets get you back on your leash because I’m not running after you again” Ben said clipping his leash onto the collar. I stood back up to see Ben smiling at me “Thanks for stopping him” he offered “It’s okay” I replied “No really, if he’d been hit by a car well I don’t know what I’d do. I’ve had him 6 years, my mom bought me him for my 10th birthday” he explained.

“Aww, I always wanted a dog but my mom said no” I replied and he nodded “Come on you lets go finish this walk before its nightfall” Ben said. “Bye Peyton” I said petting him again before turning to walk away “Jenna, come with us?” he asked and I looked at him.

“I’m only going to the park and back, come with us and you can play with Peyton. He always wants someone to play fetch with him and well after 6 years you kind of get tired of it” he admitted. “Erm…”I trailed off “Come on, he’s too cute to say no to” he said smiling and I laughed “He is cute” I replied. “See, I’ll even walk you home after if it’s dark out” he offered and I nodded slowly “Good, come on then” he said motioning for me to walk with him so I did.

We got to the park and Peyton sat looking up at Ben and he sighed “You better come back” he said taking his leash off and pulling a ball from his jacket pocket throwing it and Peyton ran off. “So easily pleased” Ben joked as he watched him chasing after the ball to only come running back and drop it at Ben’s feet for him to throw it again.

He threw it again before glancing at me “So what have you been up to tonight?” he asked and I shrugged “Come on Henley I know you must talk more than this” he said and I looked at him “What’s wrong? I don’t get it, if you don’t like me you can just say you know” he offered and I nodded “It’s not that” I admitted, “Okay well are you just really shy or something?” he asked and I shrugged.

He laughed quietly “Are you always this quiet, at home are you like this?” he asked and I nodded “Bet your parents love you, mine complain I talk too much, well that and arguing with my sister” he explained as Peyton ran after the ball again.

He looked at me and shook his head “Shit I said parents didn’t I? Sorry Jenna I totally forgot” he offered and I shook my head “Its fine, it was forever ago. How did you know?” I asked and he sat on the bench so I sat as well. “People talk don’t they, you know what kids are like sometimes, you still don’t see him then?” he asked and I shook my head.

“No, not heard from him since they broke up 3 years ago; I was never really close to him in the first place though so I guess its easier” I admitted and he nodded “Must be weird, I guess its good you’re a girl in that sense; if my dad left it would bother me more than it would my sister” he explained and I nodded.

“Anyway less of this talk, you going to college?” he asked and I shrugged "Don’t know, you?” I asked and he sighed, “Who knows, family want me to but I’m not really that bothered by it all. I don’t think I’ll get the grades for it so I’ll have to go for scholarship” he admitted.

“I thought you were clever?” I asked and he nodded “I get by, I’m not you” he replied and I looked at him “Your clever, I’ve seen you working in class and your grades are always high” he stated “They’re not that high” I defended “Whatever, I’ve never seen you get less than an A” he cut back and I went quiet.

“Its not a bad thing, if I was clever I’d make sure everyone knew,” he admitted and I smiled “It’s never that easy” I replied and he nodded “I know, sucks really. It doesn’t matter what you are or what your good at” he said as Peyton wandered around the park with his ball. “I don’t get it sometimes, it’s like just because your good at one thing your not cool or something, I don’t really get what that’s always about” he said as Peyton walked towards another dog “Peyton!” he shouted and he turned running back over.

“I told you he normally comes back to me” he bragged and I laughed as Peyton came running back over flat out before jumping onto the bench between us, he panted as he put his front feet on my legs and I laughed petting him “You made a new friend there Pey” Ben said and I looked up.

“Nobody apart from me normally gives him attention, my parents pretty much ignore him and my sister hates dogs so I’m the only one” he explained “What does he do when your at school?” I asked “In summer he gets shut in the backyard but in winter he gets shut in my room, I left him to roam the house once and my sister found him in her room and threatened to make my life hell so he stays in my room now” he admitted and I smiled.

“Anyway we should get home boy” he said clipping the leash back to his collar and standing up, I stood up and we walked out the park “Where do you live?” he asked and I told him “Okay well I can walk that way home so I’ll walk you back” he stated “No it’s fine” I replied. “No it’s fine, I’ll walk with you” he insisted and we walked towards my house.

“I’ll see you tomorrow” Ben said as we got to my house and I nodded “Thanks, bye Peyton” I said petting him before walking to my door “Bye” Ben shouted as he walked off and I waved. It was next Monday before I saw him again; he was walking towards me in the hallway with a group of his football friends and some cheerleaders as I walked to class.