Sometimes...

43

I stood as they assessed Ben, "Okay coach wants to know if he can go back out" someone shouted over the medical team "No!" "Oh come on, hit his head put a few stitches in and he can get back out there. We need him!" they argued back and I ignored them. I watched as they bickered and I heard Ben curse as he flinched, I walked towards the guy grabbing the shoulder of his jacket dragging him towards Ben pushing people out the way.

"Right you stitch his head then!" I growled at him and his eyes widened when he saw the cut, "No? Thought not! Now hut up and let them get on with their jobs! Although do it carefully I'd rather he still looked like Ben when he was done!" I snapped before turning back to the guy. "And you! He's hit his head, he's got to have stitches for the love of God! I'm all for the team doing well but when it puts him at risk of hurting himself more then no fucking way! Maybe to you it's nothing but in 10 years time I don't want him affected by it, so unless you want me to sue your ass then I really suggest you go out and tell your second string quarterback he's staying on the field tonight!" I yelled showing him as I heard Ben laugh.

"Jenna you are such a mean ass sometimes!" he mumbled and I grinned, he closed his eyes groaning and I looked at him worried about him "Look Jenna we can stitch him up but he might need to be checked out at a hospital, he's hit his head very hard and I'd just want to be cautious" the guy near me reasoned and I smiled nodding. "I can take care of that, don't worry!" I reasoned and they nodded, "You see Ben here has his own medical care" he teased and I smiled nodding as Ben held his hand out and I rolled my eyes pushing my fingers through his.

They finished him up and I watched as he tried to sit up rubbing his head and I rolled my eyes "Right I'll ring Hannah to get her to bring Bryony out to us and then we can go okay?" I asked and he nodded slowly holding his head in his hands. I dialled Hannah's number and she agreed to bring Bryony down to me as I walked to the entrance "Mommy!" Bryony yelled at me and I picked her up smiling "How is he?" Hannah muttered and I nodded.

"He's got a nice cut on his head that's been stitched up and I'm taking him down to the hospital to get it checked out and scanned" I replied and she nodded smiling "Do you want us to keep her?" "Nope, she's very much used to her daddy being a tad banged up. We figured a long time ago it was better to be open with her than lie, Ben sadly gets things like this and we'd rather she was used to him being in that state than shelter her constantly" I explained and she nodded. "Well if you need anything let us know and tell him we hope he's better soon! See you soon Bryony" she smiled waving at her and Bryony waved saying bye back.

"Mommy where we going?" "Daddy has to make a little trip to the hospital and we're going with him, you see he's hit his head and he's had to have to put back together again with stitches" I replied and she looked at me "His head came off?" "No! Well I hope it didn't, if it did they've put it right back on again! Nope he's got a little cut on his head and to help him get better quicker they've put a few stitches in to make it better. But he needs to go have a doctor just make sure he's getting better right. So you have to be quiet because daddy's going to have a headache and don't touch his head okay?" I asked and she nodded smiling.

People often got down on us for being open with her but I didn't want to lie, when she got old enough we didn't want to just unload it on her. We wanted her to fully understand that sometimes daddy wasn't at the top of his game and she had to be careful, "Daddy!" she shouted before putting her hand to her mouth and Ben smiled "Hey Bryony! Daddy mommy behaved herself and you did good mommy" she explained making him smile and I signalled for him to get up and he put his hand on my shoulder as I looped my free arm around his waist.

Sat at the hospital I watched the TV in the corner of them room as Bryony laid at Ben's side on the bed asleep "Jenna my head hurts, I feel strange" he complained and I nodded "I know but you're okay, nice one making sure I didn't support the fishes!" I laughed and he smiled "Gotta make sure my girl behaves herself" he replied and I nodded.

"I hate to break the news but you're staying in tonight, I can tell you that without even seeing your scan results! They won't let you out until tomorrow lunch now, do you want me to get someone to drop stuff off for you?" I questioned and he laughed "You know they're already in the car so why you ask I don't know" he answered and I nodded. Ben kept s bag of things in the car for when this happened, which in his life was quite often sadly!

They came back and confirmed what I'd basically told him already, "Ergh okay I'll see you tomorrow Bryony, love you and look after Monty for me okay?" she nodded kissing his cheek before Jumping off the bed and I smiled at him "Behave yourself and do as they tell you, I'll drop by tomorrow morning after I take her! Rest, I love you" I said kissing him and he smiled into the kiss "I love you too crazy 'I'll sure you' lady" he teased and I smiled as we waved walking out his room and going home ringing his parents to reassure them he was fine and to update Brett and the coach.