Sometimes...

49

Bryony's first day of school came and went and we both cried as she walked through them gates! I'd started at work and I was loving it as for Ben he was over worrying! He had me ring him constantly but recently he'd settled down and things were fine. We spent vast amounts of time with Brett and Hannah who'd both been helpful in encouraging us talking things through, I walked in from work to smell cooking and found Ben stood cooking.

"Hey" "Hi! How was your day?" Ben grinned as I kissed his cheek throwing my bag down. "It was good thanks, you?" "Yeah! Bryony's watching TV with Monty. You done much?" he quizzed as I leant against the counter. "Not really, easy day really! Do I have time for a shower?" "You do! I'll shout you when it's ready" he replied as I walked off saying hello to Bryony before jumping in the shower.

I was exhausted by 10 and Ben smiled at me as I collapsed into bed "You're such a girl" "You're such a man" I replied as he laughed. I laid on my side facing him and he threw an arm around the back of my head, it wasn't long before I was asleep and back up at 6 to get Bryony off to school.

"Ben! I'm sorry but I have to work Sunday! I tried to get out but nobody always to swap shifts!" I explained and he looked at me "You're missing the game?" "I know! I'm so sorry! I can drop you off at the ground and probably pick you up as long as traffic isn't bad" I offered and he sighed "That's okay! I know you have to work, but a ride there and back sounds good" he reasoned and I smiled as he kissed my forehead. "I can watch it on my breaks too, I'll even watch it when I get home" I reasoned and he smiled "Jenna its okay" he reassured and I nodded.

I pulled up at the field "Okay knock em dead champ" I joked and he rolled his eyes, "Have a good day babe! I'll see you here when you finish, love you" he smiled kissing me as he opened his door "You too and love you" I said as he shut the door waving. I opened the window "Brett kick some ass today!" I yelled as he walked past and he waved laughing saluting me.

I shoved everything in my locker tying my hair up as I locked the door. I spent the first 2 hours in and out of rooms and signing paperwork. There was a young male doctor on the ER wards who made me laugh because he was so polite to patients who were rude to him and very patronising because of his age. "So Jenna are you staying with us here?" "No I'm on a rotational for 6 months so I'll move to another ward soon" I explained and he nodded.

"On to the next then, I've got a break so I'll see you later on I'm sure" he said walking into the break room as I picked up some bloodworks results taking them to another doctor. I was stood listening before getting the things to do stitches when a friend who worked the shift before me normally walked in.

"Jenna! I just heard, do you know anything more?" she asked and I looked at her as I opened a sterile wipe, "What?" "Ben? Where's your phone?" she quizzed. "Locker! What's up with Ben? They won?" I smiled and she shook her head "I just heard! He's here, they brought him here. Sweetie I don't know what's wrong, I thought they'd ring you but I thought I should come find you" she explained as I nearly dropped the pot in my hand.

"What? He's in here?" I rushed out "Yeah, they took him past me. I don't know what's wrong" "Well was he talking? Is it his shoulder or his knee?" I asked. "He...he wasn't awake. Sweetie I'll take over here, he was going towards the end room. You go find him" "No you've finished" I said feeling sick. "I can take another part of the shift for you, you can owe me. Go!" she urged and the doctor looked around "I'm okay with it, can you drop those off though?" he said holding a set of bloods out.

I grabbed them thanking them running out the room dropping the bloods at the receptionist "Nurse! Doctor Jonson want to see you in cubicle 10, said it was urgent and to not let you go anywhere else" she reasoned and I sighed heading that way rippig the curtain open "Jen...Nurse! I need to tell you..." "Ben? I know, can I go please?" I begged and she nodded as I closed the curtain running towards the end room to see people around the bed.

I saw the foot on the end of the bed and spotted the plaited black and gold string around the ankle feeling my throat close, Bryony made Ben that when we were bored one dy when she was about 2. There was blood on his legs and I saw his arm limp on the side of the bed, "W-what's going on?" I stuttered and a couple people looked around.

"Nurse are you meant to be in here?" "Yes! What's happened?" I snapped and the doctor looked around from Ben's chest "Jenna! I thought you were with Doctor Enfield until later?" "I got let off, I thought you were on a break" I answered. "Yes, I thought I was too but then in came this!" he replied before shouting out things to do, I stared helpless until I forced myself to get a grip. "What's happening?" "We have a suspected head trauma, rib injury, possible broken fingers, loss of consciousness for roughly 20 minutes now and suspected internal injury" he listed as I felt sick.

"Okay let's get a line in and get some bloods ready incase we need them" he called out as I stood at the side of the bed as they got needles in his hands for drips etc. I pressed my hand to his neck, as my other hand rested on his chest "How much blood do you want and what?" a nurse asked and the doctor looked up as I said "O neg" "Nurse that is not your call, he is..." he trailed off looking at me. "Nurse how did you know the blood type and this is very unprofessional behaviour" he warned as someone ran in "Has anyone rung his next of kin?" "It's ringing out" another nurse answered as the doctor felt Ben's stomach and I felt my eyes stinging.

"He's gonna need someone down here" I wiped my eyes as I tightened my hand on his shirt "Nurse!" "He's my husband" I mumbled. "What?" "Ben...he's my...Ben" I managed as my hand found its way to his face, "What happened to him?" "You're his wife?" he asked, "His next of kin is Jenna Roethlisberger! Me! What happened? He's meant to be playing football" I snapped at him.

"Took a bad hit, apparently they got him for a lot of directions. The blood isn't all his, most of it came from someone else" he reassured as I refused to let go of Ben. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Just finished this whilst having the Steelers-Cowboys game on...:/