Sometimes...

50

I bit my lip as I saw them attach him to a drip, "Ben" I mumbled as the doctor looked at me "I'm not so sure about you being in here" he said and I looked at him "He's my husband!" I growled at him "Yes that's the problem" he stated and I just stared at Ben. 5 minutes later and a receptionist walked in "I have his wife on the phone, she wants to know what's going on" I looked around quickly as the Doctor groaned "I'm going to have to ask you to leave Nurse!" he snapped and I shook my head.

"He's my husband! I don't care what she saying on the phone he's my Benjamin!" I growled at him and they looked at me "She's quite convincing on the phone, worried about their children finding out and everything" "Children? We have a daughter! Look you can drag me out of here if you want but all it's going to achieve is that I'll go into my locker and get my phone out that will have missed calls from this hospital, I can tell you the number! I knew his blood type!" I argued at them.

They all argued over it as if we weren't there, "He's my husband! Jeez! Check his wedding band it'll match this!" I grumbled holding my necklace out that had my wedding rings on it when I worked, nobody moved and I grabbed his hand flipping his hand over so his palm faced upwards to reveal the initials 'BTR & JAH' engraved and I held my own out that matched my own. "Please don't kick me out of here" I begged as I felt tears run down my cheeks.

"She can stay, you don't tell anyone anything about this patient!" the doctor yelled over the room as I stared at Ben's face, "We need to scan him properly but we might wait until he wakes up" "If you can do it now, do it!" I warned and they did an ultrasound on his stomach before xraying him and I felt sick with worry for him. I burst out crying from nowhere and refused to let go of Ben until the doctor told me off, "I'm sorry nurse but you have to leave!" I tried to reason but it got me nowhere and I found myself being dragged out by another nurse before being forced to sit down.

"We'll get you when he comes around or if there's any news" she explained and I shoved the door open "When he comes around be careful!" I said and he glared at me telling the nurse to 'remove' me again. It felt like time stopped whilst I was sat on that stupid plastic chair and then from nowhere I heard things go flying and a bang as metal hit the floor but the nurse that had been sent to sit with me now wouldn't let me get up.

"Where is she? Get me my fucking wife right now before I rip your throat out!" I heard Ben yelling and I shot up pushing my way past the nurse and through the door to see him trying to get out of bed as his hands bled. "Ben!" I said and he pushed himself out of the bed nearly collapsing as I reached him forcing backwards onto the bed "Jenna where the fuck have you been?" he snapped at me and I smiled pushing my hand over his cheek "I was outside, I wasn't leaving you! Lay down, please" I begged.

I pushed something to his hands to stop them bleeding "Why did you rip those out?" I asked as he grabbed my neck pulling me outwards him resting my forehead on his "To get a clean shot on that son of a bitch! Telling me what to do, who'd he think he fucking is?" he growled and I groaned. "Benjamin language! And please tell me you didn't hit anyone?" "I fucking tried but I was attached to this thing!" he snapped and I sighed.

"I am so sorry, he's like this when he comes around. Honestly he'll not remember this in 30 minutes time! I tried to warn you but you wouldn't listen, I am so sorry" I reasoned but the doctor just stared at us "I'm refusing treatment" "Please! You do not want to make that mistake" I warned and he looked at me "Are you threatening me nurse?" "No! But I don't think your treatment of me as a staff member or relative was fair before and I can bet that won't look so good on the paper in front of a board" I offered and he looked at me shaking his head.

"He touches me again and I'll refuse to treat and I'll have to kicked out!" he grumbled before moving back towards Ben gingerly, "Ben just relax okay, they're helping you! What happened?" I asked as I stood at his side holding his head still. "They came from everywhere, the line just failed and I just remember 3 of them being right there and I tried to run but they got my foot and I started to fall when another tackled me, not a lot after that" he explained as I tried not to cry.

2 hours later and they were sure he had broken ribs, fingers, severe bruising of his stomach and chest and a nasty cut on the back of his head but there was early bruising on his face now as well. "Jenna" he mumbled and I looked up at him from the seat at his side "I feel sick" "IT's okay, I'm prepared" I laughed and he groaned pushing himself to sit upright. I sat with him and the doctor walked in looking embarrassed "Nurse...Jenna, I'm sorry about before. I just didn't cope with the pressure well enough and it wasn't your fault. Oh Mr. Roethlisberger have you thrown up?" he asked looking worried.

"Yeah, it's normal though when he hits his head. Once or twice, I'd not worry about it" I reassured and he nodded "I'm sorry for the way I spoke to you as well, I probably got in the way. And Benjamin, you owe him one too" I stated and he looked up at the Doctor "I'm sorry if I got a bit...aggressive. I don't mean it, it happens when I get knocked out, I'm really sorry" he apologized and the doctor nodded. "There's been people ringing the front desk about this incident and we have someone named Mr. Tomlin who has arrived wanting to see you" "Mike? He's okay, let him in" Ben offered and the doctor nodded leading and Mike walked in later.

"There you are! I've been worried about you. How are you?" Mike asked and I excused myself going outside to ring Ben's parents about Bryony and making arrangements for her. "Jenna?" I looked around to see Mike ""I'm going now, I'll handle the media side of this but look after him. It looked awful, he's lucky to have what he's got! He lost his helmet in the tackle, the other guys in here with an open fracture and the other two have minor injuries. I'll ring you in the morning for the latest, see you" he smiled walking off as I turned to go back in to see Ben.