Sometimes...

6

“I’m back!” he shouted as he shut the door taking Peyton’s leash off “Katie’s just left, your dad will be home soon I think. Ben!” she shouted and he smiled “Peyton get down!” he shouted before rolling his eyes “He’ll be on the couch and she hates it” he whispered. “Craig rang just after you went out, I told him to try your cell but I can hear it upstairs,” she said.

“Yeah I’ll ring him back later, it won’t be important. It’ll be something stupid he either wants or has to tell me” he replied shaking his head “Come with me” he said and I followed him towards his mom’s voice. “What are you doing tonight?” she asked as we walked in and turned to look “Oh hello, you never said you had someone with you” she glared at him.

“Mom this is my friend Jenna, Jenna my mom” he introduced and she smiled “Call me Samantha, it’s nice to meet you Jenna. So what are you 2 doing tonight?” she asked smiling “Homework, you?” he asked and she nodded “Your father will take his usual spot in front of the TV I’m sure, I might go and see Harriet next door” she replied and he nodded.

“When’s Katie home?” he asked “I think she’s coming home next week, Cameron has nobody at home this week so I think they’re staying at his; we’ll see how long that lasts” she replied smiling and Ben laughed “He’s annoying I really don’t get what she sees in him” he admitted “Neither do I but she’s happy so leave her be” his mom replied.

“I always do! Anyway we’re going upstairs, if Craig rings again tell him I’m out please” he said and she nodded “Okay, have fun doing homework” she replied as Ben motioned for me to follow him. “Peyton come on,” he shouted and he ran past heading up the stairs.

We’d been in his room for about 2 hours when his mom shouted she was going next-door “Okay!” he shouted back, Peyton was curled up on his bed his head on my lap “Can you help me with something?” Ben asked and I nodded “I got set this homework in Physics because I’m falling behind and I can’t do them, it’s all equations and well I suck at them. Are you any good at them?” he asked.

“Let me see” I said and he smiled passing me them “You got set these?” I asked and he nodded “Why? Are they real easy because I really am stupid when it comes to this sort of thing?” he asked. “These are real hard, these are like way above what you should be doing,” I explained and he nodded “Well I guess they just want me to catch up or something, I did the first two but I think they’re wrong” he replied.

I read them through trying to work them out and I got the same answer as he had “I get the same for the first 2, what don’t you get about the next one?” I asked and he pointed it out “You need to work it out as 2 separate things before working it out fully, you need out work out x and then y before you can get the full answer” I explained and he nodded.

“How do I do that?” he asked and I took his pen from him writing it down in 2 separate equations “That’s it?” he asked and I nodded “Do that and then you substitute the answers back in to get the end answer” I replied and he smiled "Thanks Jenna you little brain box, so do I just do that to all the others?” he asked and I looked at them “Yeah apart from the last 3, I think you need to put them into 3 equations first; I’m not really sure though. They’re too difficult for me” I replied and he smiled.

“Thanks, at least I might not fail now” he stated “Are you that far behind?” I asked and he shrugged “I got C’s in my last 3 tests” he admitted “That’s not falling behind, that’s normal” I replied “Yeah but I used to get A’s constantly, I guess I just tried in classes I was bad at and now I’ve dropped behind on this” he explained and I nodded.

“Well that’s why you got set these then, your just too clever” I replied and he laughed “All them hits to the head in football have obviously done me some serious damage” he joked and I laughed. “Peyton do you have to sleep on people?” he asked petting him and I smiled “He’s so cute” I replied.

“He does go for the cute factor, you should try eating and not giving him any; he guilt’s you into it” Ben said as the door opened downstairs and Peyton sat up barking before jumping off the bed and running downstairs. “He’s a pretty sharp guard dog as well” he commented before I heard him running back upstairs “First time Katie’s boyfriend came around he did that and just stood at his side barking until I went to him, if anyone he doesn’t know comes in the house he just follows them around barking until I go to him” he explained.

“My parents hate it, they reckon he’s too noisy” he added, “Your not noisy are you, your just doing your job” Ben said scratching Peyton’s ears. “Ben where’s your mom?” someone asked “Oh hello” he said and I looked to see a man stood at the bedroom door. “She’s next door, this is Jenna, Jenna my dad,” he said “Hi” I stated and he smiled.

“Ben get that bloody dog off your bed when people are over, he shouldn’t be all over the furniture” his dad scolded “He goes on my bed and nowhere else, he never jumps on your bed” Ben replied “Yeah but you’ve got someone over, you don’t want him jumping all over people” his dad argued “He’s not jumping all over people, he was asleep until you walked in. Plus Jenna loves him, she thinks he’s cute” Ben replied.

“Someone has to, right I’ll go find your mother,” his dad said walking off and Ben glared at him. “Ignore him, he’s always in a bad mood when he comes home from work” Ben offered and I nodded, “You know Henley you’ve been positively talkative tonight,” he teased and I smiled.

“Ergh I’m bored of school work tonight, want to go take Peyton out?” he asked and I nodded “Okay I can walk you home afterwards again, Peyton walk” Ben said and Peyton ran downstairs making me laugh. We left and walked to the park where Ben continuously threw Peyton’s ball while the dog ran after it bringing it back and waiting for it to be thrown again.

It got dark and he shouted Peyton over “Come on we best get home” he said and I walked back to my house with him, “See you tomorrow” I said as he walked off and he waved “Yeah bye” he said. He walked the long way home when he came this way because he literally lived a block from the park but going via my house meant he walked another 3 blocks.

I got in to find mom and Mike in the lounge “Where’ve you been?” she asked “Doing homework,” I replied and she nodded, I went upstairs showering before going to bed.