Sometimes...

9

The next day I was sat in the cafeteria when someone sat opposite me “Hey “ they said and I looked up to see Ben “Hi” I replied “Do you guys mind if I sit here?” he asked the others on the table and they stared at him “Okay then” he said smiling. “Was class good?” he asked and I nodded asking about his “Yeah and thanks for the help in physics, we got them all right” he replied “You got them right, I never did them” I answered.

“Well you explained them, it’s a joint effort. Did your mom know you were with me last night?” he asked “No but its okay” I explained, "Okay, as long as she wasn’t mad. I don’t want her banning you from seeing me already” he said smiling, we sat talking through lunch when the bell rang “I’ll go get my books, wait at your locker and we’ll walk to class” he informed walking off.

I shut my locker to see Emily leant up the lockers opposite “Hey Jenna” she said, “Where’s your boyfriend?” she asked and I stayed quiet. “You know he’s only doing this so you help him and he gets good grades,” she stated. “Why are you so damn quiet?” she asked, “Craig!” I heard Ben shout as he walked towards us and Craig turned around down the hallway.

Ben pointed at us “Emily leave her alone!” Craig shouted and Emily glared at him walking off. I walked away “Jenna!” I heard Ben shout but I kept walking, “Jenna wait up!” he said grabbing my wrist. “What’s with the walking off? Are you okay?” he asked and I nodded. He rolled his eyes “What’s she say?” he asked, “Tell me” he demanded.

“That you just want good grades” I said quietly “I told you not to listen to them, I’d never do that” he reassured. “I’m serious, you’ve got to ignore them all. Now come on we’re late for class,” he said putting his arm around my shoulders leading me off.

I was at home later when I heard my mom shout me and I walked downstairs to see her at the door with Ben “Hi” I said and he smiled “Hey, I’m taking Peyton and I thought you might want to come with us?” he asked “Erm yeah okay; mom this is Ben, Ben my mom” I introduced and she smiled saying hi before we left.

We’d been sat at the park for awhile when a group walked in “Great, that’s Craig and Emily with his sister, if she says anything ignore her; I know its easier said than done” he stated and I nodded as he shouted Peyton over to us and I saw him bounding over.

They walked towards us and I was wishing I wasn’t there, I felt Ben’s arm around my shoulder “Ignore them” he whispered as they reached us. “Hey what you up to?” Craig asked “Brought Peyton out with Jenna, you?” he replied, “Louise is meeting her boyfriend here” Craig stated as Emily glared at us before dragging the other girl away and Craig sighed.

“Man I’m sorry about her, you know what she’s like” Craig explained "Yeah and I know we’re going to fall out over her if she keeps it up, you can’t let her say things to people like that. That’s bullying” Ben snapped back “No it’s not!” Craig said, “Yes it is and I won’t have it, maybe you let her talk to your friends like that but she won’t mine” Ben replied.

“I think she’s just being funny because your choosing to be friends with her” Craig admitted "Hey Jenna does have a name you know and why?” Ben asked, “Because Jenna isn’t exactly the sort of person we hang around with” Craig cut back emphasizing my name. “No you mean you hang around with, it’s always been clear that I wasn’t up for any of that stereotypical shit that goes around. Emily is a cheerleader and that makes her no better than anyone else, so what I’m on the football team; that doesn’t mean I can’t be friends with someone who isn’t classed as popular at our school” Ben argued back.

“Well if you want to be friends with them then you have to expect the fallout your getting because that’s the way high school works, Emily is only saying what some of the others are thinking and you know it” Craig replied “Well maybe I need to get new friends then” Ben stated "You getting a new friend is what caused the problem in the first place” Craig said with a smile.

“I know but if that’s the way they think they’re not the people I want to be friends with, it’s stupid! I can talk to whoever I want, I hate that people see you’re a footballer and automatically think you’re too cool to talk to them or that you’re a bully. That was one thing that always put me off joining the team” Ben explained “Oh don’t be so dramatic” Craig replied.

“I’m not! I sat at the same table as Jenna to eat lunch because if I’d asked her to sit with us everyone would’ve been a dick and when I sat with her the others on the table looked like they thought I would either beat them up or shout at them. You know I don’t want to fall out with you” Ben admitted, “I know and I don’t want to argue with you either” Craig offered.

“The bottom line is you tell Emily to keep her mouth shut and leave Jenna alone or we will end up falling out, if she’d said it once and I told her and she left that’s fair enough but she keeps doing it. Not everyone is as loud and in your face as Emily is and some people don’t like being questioned whether she’s joking around or not, she needs to drop it; the same for all the others before they start” Ben said and Craig nodded.

“I know and I’ll talk to her about it” Craig replied and it fell silent “Anyway we best go, we’re going to the movies. I’ll see you tomorrow” “Yeah bye” Ben replied “Bye Jenna” Craig said “Bye” I replied quietly. He waited until Craig was far enough away “I actually hate that girl, she’s so two faced and devious; don’t think its just you she’s off with. You remember them other girls at practise that weren’t sat with them?” he asked and I nodded.

“They’re some of the guys girlfriends and they don’t go to our school, she was exactly the same to them until one of them told her where to go and she left them alone. Anyway Henley lets get you home before your mother tells me off for having you out late” he teased standing up and we walked home with Peyton. I said bye before going in to find mom had gone to bed.