Status: Give it a shot!

Dirt

Chapter 1

I was summoned to my father's office by Fat Joey. He's not really fat. They just call him that ironically, I guess. He's a quiet, skinny guy with fire engine red hair, and a mean right hook. I've seen it. He's deceptively strong. So Fat Joey knocked on my door, and quietly asked me to come to my father's office. He was so quiet, that I had to ask him to repeat it before I heard what he wanted. So I moseyed down the stairs to his office. The door was open so I walked right in. The old, large desk was front and center in the room. Two tall bookcases were on either side behind it, and the pale blue wingback chairs were sitting in front. The three large men with long beards, and leather vests and jackets looked completely out of place, and slightly uncomfortable, in the room. My mother decorated the entire house, and after she passed away, my father just never had the heart to change anything.

I smiled to the man on my left, Wolf, as he took off his sunglasses and gave me a wink. If there was one person, beside my parents, who'd been around all my life, it would be Wolf. He's practically an uncle. He's also my dad's right hand man. If something were to happen to my dad, Wolf would take over the club. Oh, yeah, I guess that's important information. My dad is the leader of a motorcycle club. Most people would call it a gang, but the word gang brings up images of homies, hoopties, and ho's. That's not the people my family associates with. Okay, yes, the club occasionally does a little dirt, but generally they all keep steady paying jobs at respectable businesses. They're not that dangerous. Not to me, anyway.

"Yes, father? You wanted to see me?" I asked in a sickeningly sweet voice. He stroked his long brown beard and narrowed his eyes at me. I laughed. "Okay, okay. What's up, pop?"

"That's better," he told me. "I was starting to think you'd been replaced by an alien or some shit." He leaned back in his chair, and nodded at Charlie Smokes to shut the door. I don't know why they bothered. The only other person in the house was Joey, and he had headed into the kitchen to steal some leftovers. "So, princess," I smiled at his pet name for me, "how was school?"

"How was school? That's what you wanted? Couldn't this have waited? I do still have some homework to do." He just grinned at me. "Geez, pop, I'm a junior in college, not in seventh grade. What's this really about?" He asked me if I was going to the party. I had to refrain from saying duh. "Pop, I'm slightly offended. What kind of daughter would I be if I didn't attend the annual rally, and family get together? It's the only thing anyone's been talking about for weeks. So, quit stalling, and tell me what this is really about."

"You're smart, like you're mom." He smiled proudly at me. Wolf agreed that I was practically the spitting image of my mother, Marie. "All right, smart ass, I'll get to the point then. Princess, you're birthday is coming up. There's a couple things we need to talk about. The first, and most important, is what you want for your birthday. The second, and I don't want to hear any protests, is that we're having a party for you, and the third...there's been some talk." I was skeptical, but he looked serious. "There's been some new riders seen around. Five of them. Their colors aren't from around here. They haven't come to me or the Angels. Scott doesn't like it."

I sat back in my own chair. Scott was the leader of our neighboring club, the Angels. He was a smart and shrewd man. What Scott lacked in bulk and power, he more than made up for in smarts, and big burly guys to protect him. If Scott was concerned about these new riders, then we should be too. "So, what do you want me to do? I could ask around and see if I can get in with them. Then, see what they're after. What do you think?"

"No. Let's not get in over our heads. Ash, you're my only kid. What on God's green Earth would make you think I would let you put yourself in potential danger? I was merely telling you that, to tell you this..." Out of my peripheral I could see Wolf and Charlie visibly tense. Oh, I knew where this was going, and the answer was fuck no. "I want you to keep Fat Joey around with you for a while. Just until we figure out what these riders want." He took one look at my face and cut off my tirade. "Princess, I know you don't like it, but it's for your safety and my sanity."

"Pop, seriously! This is stupid. I'm not taking Fat Joey anywhere with me, not because I don't mind his company, but because I don't need a bodyguard or a babysitter. I'm not a child anymore, pop."

"Yes, you are," he said quietly, but firmly. "You're my child. I don't give two shits how old you are, you'll always be my child. So, shut up and let me do my fatherly duty." I rolled my eyes, but succumbed anyway. He smiled that giant smile of his. The one that always made me feel like everything would be okay in the end. For my whole life, that was my favorite smile. "That's my girl. Now that the hard part is out of the way, what do you want for your birthday?"

"A bike," I said quickly. He shook his head and reminded me that we agreed I could have any bike I wanted once I graduated college. I shot him a grin. It was worth a shot. "Well, I guess, if I can't have my dream bike, I think I'd like to go on vacation with Jessi and Erin." Before he could protest, I continued. "It wouldn't be for long and it's not far away. Just down to the coast for a long three day weekend. Wolf is letting Erin go. He thinks it's a good idea, don't you, Wolf?"

His eyes got big and he sputtered for a minute before my dad burst out laughing. "You drive a hard bargain, Princess. I probably would have let you go anyway. You didn't have to bring poor Wolf into the mix. We'll work out the details later. You're free to go, if you want."

I jumped out of my chair and ran around to his side of the desk. I may give him a hard time, but I love my dad more than anything. I have him a big kiss on the cheek. "I'm going shopping with Jessi and Erin in a bit, so you should order something out for dinner. I won't be out late. Love you, pop!" I yelled as I all but ran out the door.

I met Erin and Jessi at the mall about twenty minutes later. They were waiting for me at the entrance. I smiled widely upon seeing my two best friends. Erin was my preppie looking friend. She was also Wolf's daughter, so we've grown up together. She looked just like her dad. She was tall, with striking features. She had high cheek bones and big, bright blue eyes. Her long, wavy dark brown hair really made her eyes stand out against her face. Jessi was my punk rock friend. Erin and I met her in middle school when she moved in and beat up some jock who was making fun of her for having purple hair. Right now her hair color of the week was platinum blond with hot pink streaks in it. She was shorter than Erin and me, but her spunk made up for her stature. She had almond shaped chocolate brown eyes, and a cute little upturned nose.

"Geez, it's about time," Jessi teased. "We thought you'd never get here. What the hell took so long?"

I playfully pushed her. "Shut up. I'll be here when I get here. Really, though, my dad wanted to talk to me. Guess who'll be with us?" I turned to look over my shoulder at Fat Joey who was strolling up behind us. "Apparently, we're all in grave danger!" I told them, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

Erin nodded. "Yeah, dad was talking about it last night. Not to me, of course, but to mom. We all know my lady like sensibilities can't handle talk like that." We all giggled. Erin's dad treated her like she was made of glass. I had figured that after high school, she would have gone off to college and become a wild child once she was away, but she ended up staying at home and going to college in town like I had. Sometimes I wonder if she stayed because of me. "Is it really that serious?" she asked incredulously.

I shrugged my shoulders. These things never really worried me. "I don't know. I think it's a shit load of worrying for nothing. But what the hell do I know?" I looked over my shoulder to see Fat Joey leaning against a wall, pretending like he wasn't listening to us. He wasn't doing a very good job. "Well, let's go in and get some stuff to wear for tomorrow night. Joey! You coming?" He rolled his eyes and flicked the cigarette he was smoking, but cracked a small smile just the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
Boom baby! First chapter! I don't know about you but I'm excited. And the guys will make an appearance in the next chapter. Whoop, whoop!