Status: Give it a shot!

Dirt

Chapter 15

"Ash! Ashlynn, goddamnit, get out here!" My father is yelling at me while running up the stairs. I can hear him. It instantly fills me with dread. I started running through the list of people who could be hurt, or worse, and a knot forms in my throat.

I rushed out of my room and caught him at the top of the stairs. "What's wrong?! What happened?!"

He was smiling like a loon. "Nothing. I have fucking great news to tell you, though."

"Jesus, holy balls, Pop! I thought someone was dying. Don't do that shit to me again." He just gave me an innocent look. "So what's your news?"

"I was talking to Tim today, and we happened to start talking about your singing, and he was telling me that he could use someone around the bar on weekends to sing a few numbers. What do you think?"

I was kind of stunned. "Pop...I'm confused. Did you just get me a permanent gig at Tim's?" He nodded. "Okay." I didn't know what to say. I needed to process the whole thing. "Thanks, I think. You didn't have to do that, you know. I didn't want you to feel obligated to help me out."

"How did you suddenly become stupid? You're my kid. Of course I'll help you out. Didn't I say that I'd support you in anything you wanted to do? That's what parents do."
I went over and hugged him. "Okay, Pop, sorry. I get it. It is a lot to take in, though. So tell me all about what I'll be doing."

By the time Pop was done telling me all about singing at Tim's, I was actually pretty excited. I texted Erin and Jessi and told them to meet me for an impromptu shopping trip. I needed something to wear if I was going to be on stage. I could feel that this time would be different. Before, when I performed at open mic night, people were there for me, but it was usually just my friends. Everyone else in the place was there for their family or friends. This time, though, people were coming to see me. Okay, they were coming for drinks and some food, but maybe eventually they'd come to see me.

Two hours later and the three of us were exhausted. Jess and Erin were just as excited about singing at Tim's as I was. They helped me pick out a new pair of pants, and some cute accessories. We decided to stop at the food court and grab a bite. "So what are you gonna sing?" Jessi asked me. "And are you gonna have Steph, and Rudy, and Eli with you, or are you gonna do it by yourself?"

Steph, Rudy, and Eli were the people I played with. We were a band, but not in the conventional sense. The three of them only did music as a hobby, and had no interest in trying to "make it big", as they say. They just liked to play, and liked to have someone sing along. That's where I came in. Singing along with them was pretty cool. No one had an ego about them, so it was fun working out new ways to sing or play something.

"Well, considering I haven't talked to them about this yet, I don't know. But I was thinking I would sing some Janis Joplin, and maybe some Led Zepplin. If I feel like it, maybe I'll slip in some White Stripes. I dunno. What do you guys think?" I looked up from my food to see the two of them smiling. Before I could ask what they were so happy about, a pair of hands covered my eyes, and a deep voice asked me to guess who. "Um, I know who I hope this is. Please be Johnny Depp, please be Johnny Depp!"

The hands were removed and I turned to see a forlorn looking Matt. "Thanks a lot," he told me. Jimmy, Brian, Zacky, and Johnny were all laughing it up behind him.

I grabbed his hand and motioned for him to sit down. "Aw, I'm sorry. You know I'm just kidding...mostly." I leaned over and kissed his cheek. He smiled down at me and pecked me on the lips. I heard Zack groan.

"Come on, man! That's my sister. I don't want to see you guys slobbering all over each other," he whined.

I laughed but reminded him that the window of opportunity to be the annoying teenage older brother has passed. We were both grownups now, and I could slobber all over someone if I wanted. Matt punctuated my point by pulling my chair closer to his, grabbing my face with both hands, and kissing me until my toes curled. I was usually not one for obvious public displays of affection, but at that moment, I didn't care if we were in the middle of a flash mob. I was loving that kiss.

"Aww! Look at you two," Erin said with a smile. "I'm so glad you gave him a second chance, Ash. You guys are really cute together." I rolled my eyes at the awkwardness and told her what a hopeless romantic she was. "Yeah, yeah. Oh! Did you tell the guys about your new regular gig?"

The five of them looked at me expectantly. I smiled. "So, apparently, Pop talked to Tim, the one who's place we had my party at, and he was looking for a pretty regular person or band to do some singing on the weekends. And, of course, Pop suggested that I be that person. It's not set in stone, or anything, but maybe if I sing this weekend and he likes it, then I can do it all the time."

"That's fucking amazing!" Jimmy yelled, causing half the food court to look our way. "What? My best friend is going to be a super star! You're all looking at the next Cyndi Lauper or some shit! You're all going to be buying her songs on iTunes!" We managed to get him to quiet down and sit back down. He wouldn't stop his cheesing, though. "I know what we're doing this weekend."

"You're damn right," Matt agreed. "I'm gonna watch my girl tear it up. Oh, I'm sorry, who's my girlfriend? You know her as that super famous singer, Ashlynn Carter. Yeah, I'm pretty much a trophy boyfriend." I laughed and told him to shut up. He grabbed my hand under the table and kissed me on my forehead. "I'm happy for you. You deserve every great thing that happens to you."

Saturday night came around and it seemed like every person I knew was in my house while I tried to get ready. Matt, Zee, Brian, Jimmy, and Johnny showed up claiming that they were my entourage, while I had Jess and Erin come over earlier that day to help me get ready. They told me that I looked totally hot in my outfit. The girls put me in some skinny jeans that were white on top and faded into black, a bright green tank top with an owl on it, a long black vest, and a pair of my motorcycle boots. I chose a bunch of black and silver accessories, and my black porkpie hat. I did my makeup in a smoky purple eye shadow with a reddish orange lipstick.

I walked down the stairs to a bunch of cat calls and wolf whistles. Matt told the guys to shut the hell up and put a protective arm around my waist. "No more looking at my girl," he warned them. "I'll have to punch you."

I rode over to Tim's with Pop and Zee in Pop's car. "So, I just have to ask. Did you really tell Harrison that you were going to dig his grave?" Zacky laughed so hard at that question. I could feel myself blush. "Were you really concerned that he would challenge me?" I told him yes. "Well, don't. I've been keeping an eye on that little piss ant for a while now. He's not as smart as he thinks he is."

"But what about his dad?" I asked him.

Pop shrugged. "His dad's a good man, but he's blind to how his son grew up. His mother spoiled him rotten, and it's really starting to show. But, no worries. Everything will be fine. He talks a lot, but he's too chicken shit to actually act on anything." I was glad he said something. It made me feel better to know that Pop was on top of everything.

We got to Tim's and I jumped out of the car to meet my three friends who would be playing with me. We were all really excited. Rudy told me that they had come early and set everything up, so all we needed to do was jump on stage. So we did just that. Eli high fived me before jumping behind the drums, and he kicked off a beat.

After about an hour, we decided to take a break. I jumped off stage and found my friends in the audience. The cheered as I came over to the table, making me laugh. I made to sit down in the empty chair next to Matt, but he grabbed me and pulled me down on his lap. Johnny made a face and asked when we officially got back together.

"We didn't," I told him quickly before Matt could say anything. "He just kept calling me his girl, and after a while, I just got tired of correcting him." Matt pulled a face and asked if that was so. "Yup," I told him. "Besides, why are we talking about me and Matt? I'm curious when you're going to be 'officially' with Lacey. Oh, wait. Maybe that's a sore subject. Maybe you talked about it and she realized she was way too good for you. I mean, that's what we all thought." I winked at him to show him I was joking.

Jimmy clapped his hands. "Oooh, sick burn!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Filler, filler, pumpkin killer. I was going to make a poem from that, but I just couldn't find anything that rhymed with orange...so that was a no go. I just want to say that I appreciate that you guys think Matt's being cute and not annoying. I stress that he comes off too annoying and stupid, so I'm relieved that you guys don't think so. Anyway, thanks for the comments!

gothique4

amodernmyth88

You are awesome! Oh, and I don't know how many of you readers celebrate Thanksgiving, but if you do, Happy Thanksgiving! If not, Happy Thursday! Thanks for reading!