Status: Give it a shot!

Dirt

Chapter 22

(Matt's POV)

I was slightly annoyed when we finally got back to the house. We'd only been back a couple days when Lacey showed up and wanted a couple of us to go out to lunch. I had wanted to stay home with Ash, but she said she wasn't feeling so hot, so she insisted I go. I didn't even get a real Happy Birthday out of her before she practically shoved me out the door. Lunch was fine, and we had a good time, but it took us forever to get back to the house. Jimmy kept having to stop for one reason or another. All I wanted to do at this point, was get back to Ash and see how she was doing.

When we finally got to the house, I jumped out of the car and virtually ran through the front door. The whole house was dark, but I could smell that someone had cooked something not too long ago. I called out for Ash, but I got no response. Johnny suggested going out back to look for everyone, but I waved him off. I had a sudden rush of cold fear. What if she just up and left? I went to head towards our bedroom, but Jimmy grabbed my hand and led me to the backdoor. I opened the back door to see all my friends, and even my family, were standing on the back porch with Ash, who had the most radiant smile on her face I'd ever seen.

"Surprise!"

Everyone yelled in unison, and I don't think I could have kept a smile off my face if I'd been paid. I was so surprised, and so happy that they all went through the trouble of doing that for me. I laughed in surprise and rushed over to Ash with my arms open. I took her in a big hug and pressed a kiss into her hair as I thanked her. Then I was overrun by my sister and mother. I gave them each a big hug and kiss and hugged my father. My mom had time to whisper how much she liked Ash before I was whisked away by my friends. I was hugged and playfully slapped on the back, I was told Happy Birthday by everyone, and at one point, someone handed me a beer. Someone started playing some music, and the party officially began.

I was having a great time. I was sitting at the patio table with a couple friends, when Ash brought over a big plate of food. She smiled and kissed my cheek when she set the plate down, but I pulled her back down to my lap. I had noticed a couple of my friends checking her out, and it kind of annoyed me. There was no way I was letting this girl out of my sight. She was the best girlfriend anyone could ask for. I ate and talked with my boys for a long time, making sure to keep an arm around Ash's waist. Everyone who was standing in the back yard with half a brain could see that this girl was mine.

"I don't want to interrupt," she said quietly, "but I'm gonna go spend some time with your parents. They drove a really long way, and I want them to like me."

If I hadn't been completely in love with her before, I was now. Ash could have very easily spent the whole night following me around, but she had enough independence and presence of mind to want to hang out with my family. She was amazing. "I'll go with you, babe. I need to spend more time with them, and find out if there are any boys I have to kill for hanging out with Mandie."

She laughed at my response. "I like that you're a protective brother, but you better go easy on her and boys. She's young. She's going to make mistakes. But if you don't let her make them, she'll never learn anything. Just make sure you're there when she really needs you." I asked her how she got to be so smart about brothers. I wasn't really thinking. Sometimes I just forget that she and Zee are related. She shot a look over at Zack. "I always wanted a sibling. I sometimes used to wonder what it would be like to have a big brother. That's the kind of brother I wanted to have, you know? One that was cool, and protective, but let me learn my own lessons."

"You know, you can still have that. Zee's totally into having a sister. He really didn't want me to date you for a while there. It took some convincing." She just smiled and thanked me. "Oh, and don't worry about my parents liking you. My mom already admitted to loving you. She thinks you're just so sweet!" I tried my best to impersonate my mother. All I got was a giggle and a head shake. Ash told me I was an idiot.

"So, Ashlynn, what do you do, dear?" my mother asked her.

"Well, I'm going to school right now. I'm not exactly sure what I want to get a degree in, but my father always told me that I needed something to fall back on." They had confused faces on, so she explained. "Sorry. I want to be a singer, song writer. I love music, and I really enjoy performing. My dad is supportive, but he also wants me to get an education. He says that's equally as important."

"He sounds like a very smart man," my dad said. She agreed that he was. "So, what about your mother?"

I immediately winced, and tried to stop him from talking, but the question was already out there. Ash just squeezed my arm and smiled warmly at him. "My mom passed away when I was in high school. But she was an amazing woman, and the best mom anyone could ask for. She would have loved Matt."

My mom adopted a huge smile at that. I was slightly shocked at the statement. I'd never considered what Ash thought her mom would have thought about me. I had a sneaking suspicion that if she was anything like Ash, her dad would have been the easy one to convince that I was good enough for Ash. There was a chirping sound from Ash's cell phone and she got an excited look on her face. She jumped up from the table and started to run off, but stopped short and spun back around to us. "Sorry," she said quickly, "but I've been waiting on this for a while. I have to go. Stay here." She ordered me with a big grin then really did run off into the house. She stopped on her way to say something to Brian, and he nodded his head at her.

"Can I have everyone's attention, please?!" he yelled across the yard. Everyone got quiet and turned to Brian. "We're all here because our good friend Matt is officially over the hill."

"Guess again, sonny boy!" Ash's dad yelled from the crowd. Everyone around him laughed.

"Yeah, yeah. Okay," Brian admitted, "but it is his birthday. And no birthday is complete until everyone embarrasses you and sings happy birthday really off-key. So, with that being said, on three people! One...two...three!"

The whole backyard erupted in a horrible rendition of Happy Birthday. I was just awful. But a movement from the back door caught my eye. Ash was coming back out, singing and pushing a rolling cart with a huge cake on it. I went over to her to blow out my candles, and she quickly whispered that the boys were in charge of getting the cake. I was confused, but when I actually looked at it, I was rolling on the floor laughing.

The thing was a giant two tiered cake with white frosting and pink edges. There was a big yellow duck drawn on top that was flipping me off. I didn't even know ducks had fingers. On the sides of the cake were drawn on electric guitars and music notes. There was even real brass knuckles plunged into one side of it. Then, on the bottom tier, someone wrote 'Fuck the Police' in red lettering. Ash rolled her eyes at my reaction and said she knew I'd love it. I blew out my candles and thanked everyone for coming out. I felt truly blessed to have such good friends and family.

I was going to thank Ash with a kiss, but when I looked down, she was gone. I looked around and saw Jimmy pulling her away by her arm. She was laughing at something he was saying, and I figured I had lost her for a good while. So, instead I started cutting up the cake. My mom came over and told me not to bother. She said it was my party, so I shouldn't have to work. She gave me a huge piece of cake and shooed me away. I didn't have anywhere in particular I was going, just wandering around the back yard. I was tapped on the shoulder by Axel.

"You know something?" he questioned, "I've never seen my daughter go through all this trouble for anyone's birthday but my own or her mother's. Well, I guess Erin's and Jessi's, too. She's never put this kind of effort into another boyfriend's birthday, though. She must really have serious feelings for you. I know that we've come to an agreement on her, but I guess this whole thing just brings up new questions. How do you feel about my daughter, Shadows?"

I smiled at him. I could see he was trying to be intimidating, but I knew it was only because he loved his daughter so much. I knew exactly how he felt. "Sir, I'm completely in love with your daughter. She's incredible. She makes me happy every day, and I only hope I make her just as happy. I would do anything for her. I promise you I will protect her with everything I have. Nothing, or no one, is going to hurt her while I'm around."

Axel laughed. "Okay, then. I was only trying to find out if you liked her as much as she liked you, but by the sound of things, you're over the moon for her. That's good. Anything less, and I'd hide your body where no one will ever find you."

We had come to an understanding. He patted me on the shoulder and we parted ways. Jimmy found me and asked me what that was all about. I gave him the condensed version, and he just beamed. "Didn't I tell you? I told you, you would fall madly in love with her. Who wouldn't? If we had bet, I would have just won some serious money." He was right. He told me the night of his and Johnny's house party, that I would end up falling in love with Ash. Never bet against Jimmy. He has a way of always turning out to be right.

The night was finally winding down, and I was exhausted. Pretty much everyone had gone home except for my parents and my sister. I had been talking with mom and dad, and I spotted Ash on the other side of the yard talking with Mandie. They were laughing, as if sharing some secret joke, and the sight of them almost made my heart ache. I wanted Ash to be in my life for a long time to come. I wanted to see her get close with my sister, and I wanted my parents to buy her horrible, embarrassing gifts for Christmas. I'm so screwed.

I finally said goodbye to my family and slowly made my way to the bedroom after saying goodnight to everyone else. Ash was just coming out of the bathroom. She had on one of my tee shirts and she'd thrown her hair up into one of those purposefully messy bun things girls wear. She slipped between the sheets and all I wanted to do was follow behind her. I knew that I probably smelled, though, so I went and took a quick shower. When I came out of the bathroom, there was a red envelope sitting on the bed next to Ash.

"What's that?" I asked her.

"It's the second part of your present," she said matter-of-factly. I told her I didn't need another present from her, that she'd done enough, but she just laughed at me. "Actually I did. So here. Open this shit up or you're sleeping on the couch."

"Touchy," I said with a laugh. I sat down on the bed with her and ripped open the envelope. There was a gift card inside to a well known auto body shop. I looked at her with confusion written all over my face.

"It's so you can have your bike repainted. I remember how you said you wished you could change the paint up, since the paint job you have now got all scratched up." She blushed then. "Do you like it?"

I wrapped one hand around the back of her neck and pulled her face to mine. Her eyes closed as I pressed my lips to hers, and I knew no sight would ever be as perfect again. I was totally in love with her, and there was nothing I could do about it. There was nothing I wanted to do about it. I just knew it would hurt when she finally realized...I told myself not to think about it. It didn't matter right now. The only thing that mattered was her. "Baby, I love everything you did. You were incredible tonight. That was the best thing anyone has ever done for me. I love you."

She smiled and kissed me again. "I love you, too."

"I'm gonna marry you someday," I told her confidently. She only laughed. "I'm serious," I said. "Someday, I'm gonna ask you, and you're going to say yes, and then I'll make you my wife. Now go to sleep, wifey."

We settled down into bed, and with my arms wrapped around her, I'd never slept so good.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I need your help. I can't decide what to do. I have some stuff coming up that's pretty crazy, but I'm not sure if I want to jump into that right away or wait it out a little longer. I could do either, I just can't decide which is best for the story. Let me know what you guys think. I could really use the advice.

gothique4, thank you so much for commenting! You're the bomb. People still say that, right?

Anywho, thanks everyone for reading this. You guys are the best!