Status: finito.

Fight the Force

And out of all these things I've done I think I love you better now.

“I don’t believe in that bullshit so you don’t want to be with me?” he spat, the realisation and confirmation of what she said, made Elijah quieten down.

“I do want to be with you – I just need to know you have faith in me, in us.” Lilly argued back, but her voice was so croaky from the shouting and crying.

“I do, why have I opened myself up to you if I don’t ‘believe’ in us?” he mocked.

She was crying, he was shouting again.

“I love you Elijah, I really do.” She sobbed.

“This is utter bullshit!” he screamed. She winced, and ran for the door. Elijah paced after her. She ran down the apartment stairs, and Elijah slammed his front door.

He could still hear her cries – and for that, Elijah did something he hadn’t done since he was a kid.

He broke down crying.
--

It was an unstated fact – that Lilly and Elijah broke up.

It was strange to think they saw each other almost every day, to not a muttered word of communication.

Elijah didn’t call after the fight, and Lilly didn’t call him.

It was like too much had been said and done for either of them to know where to begin to try again.

Lilly responded in a her typical way: she cried, consumed double calories, cried again and every waking moment, she checked her cards, her signs, she checked everything for reassurance and comfort.

To try and make her see sense of what had happened to them, to try and see why it happened.
Lilly never ‘saw’ it coming, the cards, the signs, nothing told her this would happen.

That’s probably what made her lose a bit of faith then – to lose Elijah like that, she needed warning, she needed time.

Weeks went by, and Lilly did eventually quit her job. She found another as an intern at a day-care facility, Jude’s one to precise – the old intern backed out quickly and they needed a replacement. She applied and got it straight away. The stars were right about that one.

Alex, Marley and Jude moved out over the next few weeks, Marley had a pay rise and Alex was expanding. They lived just down the road now.

By the time the third month of separation rolled round: Lilly went to the bar, to see if Elijah was there.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart – he quit about a month ago.” The manager told her.

All traces of Elijah were leaving her – her little heart couldn’t take it.
♠ ♠ ♠
half term now.

work and school work - oh joy.