No One Ever Said Life Was Easy!

001

Messenger bag slung over my shoulder, black rimmed glasses placed neatly over my overly made up eyes, and plaid skirt hanging loosely from my hips, I looked like your stereotypical private school misfit. If only I didn't have to go to a school like this. Then maybe I'd fit in, I thought to myself as I pulled the painted blue doors open and entered what would be, for the next year, my new hell.

A burst of chaos and noise entered my mind at the same time. So much for a small school, I thought. There were students everywhere; in every corner, occupying every square tile of Royal Vale High School's main floor. I took each step slowly, trying not to draw too much attention to myself. My head moved in every direction as I moved forward, trying to register every new face and every new area in my mind.

Every teenage girl in the room was linked in the arm with another girl, giggling and whispering; every teenage boy in the room stood in a group of four, laughing and discussing whatever boys in this school talked about. No one seems to notice me. I smiled to myself and kept walking, now entering what I considered to be the danger zone. Everyone is so caught up in themselves. Maybe I can make a run for it, I chuckled to the joke I had just made. You're so not funny, Lisse. Freak.

As if on cue, a tall blond girl turned and saw me. Our eyes connected for a moment, and instantly, she flung herself around and whispered viciously to the girls behind her. The girls stopped whatever they were talking about and revolved around to face me. They're eyes went wide, and each and every one of them stared at me until I had finished walking past them. So much for invisible. Then, the whispers started again.

In a matter of seconds, everyone in the long hall had stopped talking. One by one, their heads turned to stare at the newcomer. Me.

And, as if I was a freak at a freak show, their eyes followed me as I kept my pace down the hall. Whispers started again, but the eyes never left me. "She's a new girl," I heard someone say in a loud whisper.

"No, not ninth. Probably tenth." Another one said.

"It's the middle of the year, though..." A boy's voice trailed off.

The whispers went lower and lower, until I couldn't overhear any more. Until someone called out, "Hey emo! Nice bag!"

A rawr or laughter escaped the crowd. Every single student in the hall was laughing at me. Every single student in the hall pointed to me, like I was completely oblivious to the fact that they were making fun of me. My eyes welled with tears.

It wasn't until I pushed my legs to go forward until I realized that I had frozen in my spot. I started out slow, again, each step slower than the one before. The crowd kept laughing. I forced my legs to go faster. Faster. Faster. I started to run to the end of the hall, breathing deeply and trying to keep in tears. First day of fucking school, and I'm already a freak. I ran faster. Does this hall ever end? Where is the goddamn office?! I fucking hate this school.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahhh, first chapter. Total crap, right? =/
Don't worry, it gets better. I don't want this to be one of those stories where I crash everything down on you during the first chapter. I'm going slow and steady for this one.
(Lisse is pronounced Lee-see.)