No One Ever Said Life Was Easy!

003

"Here," the nurse said, handing me a icepack wrapped in a thin towel. "Keep this on your head for the next hour or so. It should help your head."

"Thanks," I mumbled. And for the millionth time, MY. HEAD. IS. FINE.

The nurse waved goodbye as I opened the door to her office and stepped out into the corridor. I took a look around, noticing the quiet. It's so much better this way, without the noise. My smile soon turned into a frown as I remembered this morning, and how horrible it had been.

"Hey!" A girl's voice cried to me.

I turned to my left, only to see a short, black-haired girl running to me. She had long, choppy hair that hit her mid-chest. Extentions. Her thick bangs were cut straight across her forehead, right above her eyes. Her eyes were lined with eyeliner, her eyelids caked with bright green eyeshadow. On the left side of her nose, I spotted a tiny nose stud. Cute, I thought.

"I'm Shey," she smiled, showing her perfectly white teeth. "Are you the new girl?"

I rolled my eyes at her first question. "Yeah, I guess that's me. Sadly."

"Talk about it," She shrugged. "So, New Girl, you have a name?"

I stared at her for a moment before answering, trying to understand why she was actually talking to me. "Lisse. I'm Lisse."

"Lisse! What an awesome name! Is that a nickname or your real name? 'Cause it's unique. I've never heard of anyone with the name Lisse before..." Shey trailed off, babbling on and on about my name. I wonder what living in this town going to be like, I thought to myself. It's not like we're going to stay here very long. We never do. "Lisse? Are you even listening?"

My thoughts were, once again, shattered. "Oh, yeah. Sorry. What were you saying?"

She sighed. "Not a good day, I get it. I saw what happened this morning." She looked down at her shoes, thinking of more words to say. "But don't worry, Austin and I'll fix you up. We like you. Well, I do at least." She smiled, a smile that comforted me and showed that she meant it.

My mind perked up at the word 'Austin'. "Austin? Is that the dude I ran into in the hall?" I asked, way too fast.

She laughed. "Yeah, that's Aus. He's a great guy." I could hear the comfort and love in her voice as she talked about him. Damn.

I took a deep breathe. "Are you and Austin..." I trailed off, looking down at my shoes. I do not want to hear the answer to that question.

To my surprise, she giggled. "Me and Austin? No way. I don't roll that way."

I cocked my head towards her and gave her a weird look.

"What I mean is, I have a girlfriend," She said, answering my silent question.

"Oh."

Shey and I walked in silence, our hands in our pockets and our Converse shoes taking one slow step at a time.

"So," we both said in unison. I chuckled, as did she. "You go first," I said.

Shey cleared her throat. "If you don't mind me asking, what brought you here? Not to the school, but to the town. It's pretty damn small."

I looked up in the ceiling, searching for what seemed like hours for an appropriate answer. "It's complicated," I answered finally.

She nodded her head in agreement. "I know what that's like. Don't feel pressured to tell me anything you don't want to. Everybody has their secrets." If only you knew, I thought.

"He likes you, you know," Shey said matter-of-factly.

I stopped walking. "What?" I asked, my voice going up two octaves.

She chuckled. "Austin does."

Austin does. Austin does. Austin does. The bell rang.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not exactly the best piece of work I've ever written, but it can pass as a chatper. At least I introduced Shey. [: She's my favorite character. You'll grow to like her.