No One Ever Said Life Was Easy!

005

We walked through the corridors, arms linked, in silence. I could see from the corner of my eye that Austin was staring at me, sometimes opening his mouth to say something, but then closing it. Smart move, I thought. It was obvious Austin could sense the tension rise, as could I.

After what seemed like forever, we reached the office. "Well," Austin said finally, pulling his arm away from mine. "Ladies first." He winked and opened the heavy door for me.

I smiled slightly, curving my lips upwards. "Thanks," I mumbled, pushing through the empty space Austin had provided for me. He kept the door open, waiting for me to completely enter the office before he followed.

"You don't have to be here," I whispered to him. The last thing I want is for Austin to hear what the secretary has to say.

"No, I'll stay. It's fine." He stuck his hands in his pockets and took a sit next to the door. I shivered slightly, and walked silently up to the main desk.

"Hello?" I asked. I could feel my face turn into a worried glance.

The secretary looked up from her paperwork. "Lisse Byers?"

"That's me."

The secretary smiled a big grin, showing all of her perfectly white, aligned teeth. "You forgot your lunch in the nurse's office."

She picked up a paper bag from besides her and handed it to me. I stood in awe.

"What?" I asked slowly. The secretary kept the bag in her hands, waiting for me to take it. "Oh, yeah. Lunch. Thank you." I grabbed the bag and turned around swiftly, meeting Austin's confused face.

"Let's go," I mumbled to him, pulling him up from his seat and out the door.

"What was that about?" He asked, stopping in the middle of the hall.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I forgot my lunch, I guess."

Austin rolled his eyes. "Not that. You seemed to be expecting something else."

"Well... Uhh..." I hesitated, searching for the proper answer. "I thought the secretary was going to give me some type of... news. That's all." It may not be the whole truth, but the truth nonetheless.

I continued walking down the empty hallway. "News about what?" Austin inquired, jogging behind me.

The knot in my throat magnified. I turned around. "Nothing. Just my dad. He gets into a lot of trouble, okay? Now stop asking!" I shouted at him, whipping my body back around and storming down the hallway. I couldn't hear Austin following me.

"Wait!" He called finally. I slowed down my pace, not daring to turn around.

"Wait," He said, nearing me. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine," I said automatically. I could feel a tear rolling down my face. I reached my hand up to my cheek, stopping the tear and whipping my eyes with my shirt.

"You're crying," he muttered, staring into my eyes.

"Yeah," I muttered back. "It's nothing. Just-"

"Memories?" He finished for me.

A tiny smile took over my face. "Something like that."
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of boring. But I do like the fact that Lisse and Austin's relationship amplified, though.
It's going to get a lot more interesting, trust me. :)