No One Ever Said Life Was Easy!

006.

The rest of the day went on like a breeze. Shey chattered to Austin and I, completely unaware of our earlier dispute. I managed to keep a smile on my face, and laugh along with them both. I sat at the back of the class for every one of my classes, quietly keeping to myself, unaware of what the teacher was saying. But that was alright, since the teachers weren't paying attention to me anyways.

When the final bell rang at long last, I slowly stretched all my limbs before getting up, hearing the crack of my arms, knees and back. Crack. The word held a different meaning in my head.

As I forced myself to my locker, I felt a pair of hands on my waist. I twirled around in dismay, wide eyes in nervousness. Shey laughed, her nose crinkling and her bright smile glowing.

"Oh," I mumbled as I turned back to my locker, fumbling with my lock.

"What's wrong?" She asked casually, leaning her slim body on the locker beside mine.

I sighed. I thought she hadn't realised. "Nothing," I said, clicking my lock open and swinging the door open to grab my bag.

She grabbed my arm, pulling me to her locker. "Lisse." She stated my name clearly. "I've known you for a day, and I can already bet my life on it that here's something wrong."

I stood silent for a moment, staring at my shoes and biting my lower lip. "Fine," I muttered. "What else do you want?"

Shey sighed, closing her eyes. It took her a moment to open them again. "I don't want anything, Lisse. It's just... you've been acting so empty since you left with Austin to the office."

I grumbled in defeat. She was right and she knew it. She stood, her head cocked to the right, waiting for an answer.

"It's my dad," I said sadly. "The things he gets into... are not so good. He's always in trouble and it affects me."

Shey nodded. It was obvious she didn't want me to say anything more. To my surprise, she pulled me into a big, bear hug. "It'll be okay," she said. "I promise. I won't back down until there's a permanent smile on your face."

I shuddered. The thought of the extents she would have to go to to make that happen are pretty intense.

"Hey!" A voice shouted from behind us. We turned in unison to see Austin waving his arms at us. "Wait for me!"

He pushed his way through the crowd until he reached us, out of breathe. "You guys walking home or what?" He asked.

Shey turned to me. "I don't know. Depends what she says." She pointed to me.

Austin turned to look at me. "Well?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I was going to take the bus," I said slowly, thinking it over. "But if you guys have a better way to get home..." I let my voice trail off, shrugging my shoulders again.

Shey smiled her fabulous smile again. "I've got a car."

I looked up at her, then patted my messenger bag which was on my side. "It'd be great to spare some bus tickets," I said.

"Great!" Austin said enthusiastically. "Then it's settled. We'll take Shey's car, then." Austin then grabbed both Shey and me, dragging us behind him and we walked out the now-empty hallways. I kept my hand by my side, keeping my bag in place. Together, we stormed out the door and into the parking lot, Austin leading the way to the very back.

"Wait till you see the car," Austin said. "It's amazing. It's all-"

"Shut up, Aus. Let her see for herself!" Shey growled.

I sighed, a tight smile placed on my face. As we turned the corner to the back of the parking lot, I gasped. There is sat: a flashy, red convertible, parked in the center of the vacant lot. Shey and Austin both laughed at my reaction.

They hauled me into the car; I sat in the back with Austin as Shey drove in the front. After buckling up, Shey turned her wheel and promptly left the parking lot as I told her where I lived.

"So," Austin asked after about two minutes of driving. "How'd you come to this little town, anyways?"

I gulped, trying to think up a proper lie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are love :)