Status: Okay, so I am literally new here. I've posted this story already on Wattpad, along with a sequel, so I'm hoping it goes as well here. Fingers crossed, eh?

Tasted

Tasted

I LEARNED THAT WHENEVER I DECIDE SOMETHING WITH AN OPEN HEART, I USUALLY MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION - MAYA ANGELOU

Two days passed uneventfully. The most interesting thing that happened to me was when Oscar had called last night to ask me on a date for tonight. He was just as jittery over the phone and I'd found myself grinning stupidly and staring at the floor. It wasn't anything overly interesting - just dinner at a local diner. Just dinner. Not anything to make my heart race, but . . . I liked Oscar. He was nice. Kinda charming in a weird way. And he liked me.

I flipped the page of book I was reading - for the fifth time - and sighed in boredom. It was three in the afternoon and the store was empty. Gabe was gone too, so I couldn't poke fun at him. Damn shame - the old geezer was always good for a laugh. Haily wasn't working today, so it was just me covering the store.

The bell above the door tinkled as someone walked in. I looked up in excitement - which was actually quite sad - and felt my heart stop, just for a moment. It was Josh. When he came in, he looked troubled, his eyes were darker and his brow was furrowed, but then he caught sight of me and a wide smile broke across his face. It was infectious, that smile. I gave him a shaky smile in return and a dorky wave.

He headed over to the outdoors section. Books on camping, local wildlife, plants and local camping grounds. I thought it was curious, but left him to his own devices and returned to my book. I couldn't pay attention, though, so I just flipped the pages blankly as I watched him from the corner of my eye, collecting books and holding them against his hip. I was reveling in the casual, graceful way he moved when he stood up and walked over to me.

Josh smiled at me as he placed his books on the counter. "Hey Morgan."

"Josh." I blushed and awkwardly gestured at the books in a bid to look professional. "So you want all of those?" He nodded, checking his phone. I started peeling off the price stickers, feeling all shivery when I caught him watching me. I held up a book dubbed CAMPING FOR DUMMIES and bravely asked, "I take it you want to go camping?"

"I heard this place is great for it."

As I punched the digits into the cash register, I asked, "First time?" He nodded. "Piece of advice? Don't go alone, not your first few times. Go with a friend or someone with experience. Just for the first time, to help get a handle on things, you know? Twenty three dollars and seventy-five cents. Do you want a bag?"

"Yeah." He handed me the money. I charged it, then bagged the books. "Thanks. I take it you've been camping before?"

"A few times. I'm not an expert or anything, but if you need any help, you can come to me if you want." I said it all in one breath. Wasn't entirely sure he'd understood it, but at least it was out there.

"Yeah. Actually, I do need help."

I brightened. "Oh? With what?"

"Camping. Would you go with me?"

"Uh . . . what?" I was literally lost for words. He smirked and leaned closer, close enough so that I could smell him again. I involuntarily inhaled deeply and something deep inside me loosened and relaxed.

"You said I'd need someone to go with me the first time. I don't know anyone here but you. And you just admitted that you have experience. Makes perfect sense in my book."

That brought me down pretty quickly. "What about your girlfriend? Lacy?"

Josh looked confused, then realization lit his eyes. "From the party. She's not my girlfriend, she just offered to show me around town and . . ." Judging from the pink tinge to his ears, little Lacy had offered more than that. And the jealousy that thought invoked had my throat closing. He cleared his own throat abruptly. "Anyway. Can you really see Lacy camping?"

The weak joke made me smile. "True. But I'm sure there are adds or something in the phone book."

"I don't want to be any trouble, and I wouldn't know them. They could be a serial killer for all I knew." I bit my lip, holding back a laugh. SERIAL KILLER?

"Okay. So, uh, when do you want to do this?"

Josh grabbed his bag and dragged it off the counter. "When are you off? Days, I mean."

"Tuesday's and weekends."

"How about tomorrow then? I can come over."

"Sure, I guess. Do you have any equipment?"

"You mean like sleeping-bags? No, nothing."

"Alright. I think I've got enough for both of us. So, um, tomorrow?"

His sudden smile made me weak at the knees. "Tomorrow."

{_X_}

I met with Oscar at seven outside 70's Extra, the diner. He didn't look any different than usual except for a thin grey scarf I'd never seen before, which was okay, I guess. Kind of comforting actually. With his wild hear and wacky smile, I actually found myself having fun that night.

Halfway through dinner, I told him about going camping with Josh. I expected him to be okay with it - it wasn't a big deal, you know? - but instead his face darkened, his grip on the cutlery tightened. He silently seethed while I wondered what the hell was going on.

Eventually, I'd had enough. I put down my knife and fork, cleared my throat then said, "Oscar? Is . . . What's wrong? Did I do something?"

He came back to himself with a blink of his baby browns and characteristic nervous tic of a smile. "Nothing. So who is this Josh?" He stabbed a piece of chicken with his fork.

"Just a tourist I met on Monday. He was at that party with Lacy Stewart. He's never been camping before, so I think he just wants someone there to show him the ropes. Have you ever been camping?" Okay, so it wasn't subtle, but I was desperate.

"No." He gave me a look, tapping the blade of his knife with his finger. Whoa. Where had the mild, jittery Oscar Sinclair gone? His eyes narrowed at me. "I don't like it."

I frowned and very carefully tucked my hair behind my ear. "What do you mean I don't like it? It's none of your business."

Oscar's jaw clenched. "I just . . . I just don't approve."

I raised my eyebrows. "It doesn't matter whether or not you approve. It's my life and my decision. You don't get a say in what I do during my spare time." Almost immediately, I regretted how harsh I sounded, but I didn't take it back. I had to put my foot down now, or have to deal with more of this shit in the future.

He took a deep breath and his shoulders dropped. "You're right. I'm sorry."

My frown cleared and I gave him a small, tentative smile. "It's okay. And I'm sorry for being such a bitch." The tenseness that had been between us disappeared just like that and I relaxed, wiping my mouth with a napkin.

"So. How about desert?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so it's a bit of a while, but please tell me what you think????? I really wanna know.
Hope u liked it :)