We Can Lay With Our Eyes Closed

Bad News

I knew the looks I was getting from the nurses and I knew that I had nothing but hope left now “Come on mom you have to get better” I said quietly as I sat in her hospital room, she’d gotten a virus a couple days ago and thought nothing of it; when she went to the doctors he told her to go home and rest and then I get home from school to find her passed out in the lounge. The virus wasn’t what they thought it was and now slowly it was attacking her immune system and her body was just shutting down, they told me they were trying everything but the looks they gave me told me to expect the worst.

She came around twice at the hospital but she hadn’t made much sense when she’d spoken and now they were waiting for her to wake up again or for some change in her condition, I drifted off to sleep in the chair when I heard someone coughing and I woke up to see my mom awake. I ran to the door “She’s awake,” I said and they all came rushing in to see her before leaving again.

“Hayley what are you doing here?” “Well where else would I be mom? Your in hospital remember” I answered and she nodded, I asked how she was and she complained of stomach pains to a doctor who checked her over before going to test her bloods. She wasn’t making much sense when she spoke but that was nothing new to me “Hayley remember how I said I’d tell you something at 18?” she asked and I nodded.

“Well I know your not 18 yet but I’m going to tell you now” “Why it can wait” I said looking at her smiling “No I’m telling you now it’s about your dad” “Mom can we not do this in here please?” I asked aware of the fact the hospital wasn’t where I wanted to talk about my dad or the lack of one in my life. “No I’ve got to tell you,” she snapped shifting in pain “I’m going to get you a doctor okay?” I stated getting up “Hayley, sit down and listen. You promise me you’ll give him the chance to explain himself, he did nothing wrong okay?” “Fine yeah I’ll give him the chance” I replied humouring her.

“No Hayley come back here,” she mumbled and I stood at the door looking at her “Mom are you okay?” I asked as she looked really strange, she nodded slowly but not convincingly “His names Tom, Tom Denney; if you ever wanted to find him I’m pretty sure Ocala, Florida is where you need to look. If he isn’t there ask around and people will know where he is” “Okay whatever mom” I replied.

“Hayley promise me you’ll look for him?” she asked “Mom? Doctor quick!” I shouted and someone ran in “Grace can you hear me?” the doctor asked before things started beeping around her “Mom!” “Promise me you’ll look Hayley,” she said sounding really distant “I promise okay, mom come on” I answered before she closed her eyes.