We Can Lay With Our Eyes Closed

Bam

I felt cold on my stomach and I looked to see they’d spilt their drink all over my top “For the love of…” “Shit, I’m so sorry. Here let me…Okay I can’t fix that” he said putting his phone away, I rubbed my top groaning and he smiled at me “I’m sorry, I wasn’t looking and sorry” he offered. “If you were the first person to do this today I wouldn’t be pissed off, but you’re the first who’s apologized so I guess I have to be happy about something” I replied.

He threw his empty cup in the trash can “Here let me help, where are you going?” he asked taking one of my bags “Well I was looking for somewhere to eat” “Oh well I need a new drink so I’ll take you, I’m Kevin” he introduced motioning me to walk with him. “Hayley” I said smiling, we got to the place and he smiled “What do you want, I’ll buy as an apology?” he asked and I shook my head “No I probably ruined your top and I walked into you so come on what do you want?” I smiled telling him what I wanted. “I’m going to go change this” I stated and he nodded smiling “I’ll look after these, promise I won’t steal anything” he said smiling as a sign it was a joke and I nodded grabbing a top from my bag going to the bathroom to change.

I came back out to see him sat down in the corner “Okay so I can’t promise I haven’t stolen any of your fries” he said and I smiled “I guess seeing as you paid I can’t complain” I stated sitting down. “So where are you headed?” “Oh I don’t know I just got off a plane” I replied eating “From?” “Georgia, Atlanta to be precise” I admitted. “Well why’d you pick Ocala then?” he questioned “Sounded nice, although I’ve been walked into three times and someone threw a drink on me so probably isn’t” I joked and he laughed taking one of my fries.

“Did nobody ever tell you that’s rude?” I asked and he shook his head taking another one “Why don’t you just eat the rest of it” I joked and he laughed taking a tomato out of my salad eating it making me laugh “Seriously, you’re taking the piss now” I stated. “Hey I paid so I get to eat it” “Oh so what if you take a girl out on a date you sit and eat her food as well do you?” I asked “Why is this a date?” he questioned drinking “Nope but you never answered the question” I replied smiling.

“No I don’t but then I don’t tend to take girls out from the street” “Oh charming” I replied and he smiled “I meant I don’t just ask random girls out off the street, I tend to want to know them a bit first. So where are you staying in Ocala?” he asked “Oh I don’t know” “You don’t know where your staying, why does a young lady like yourself roll into town for no reason?” he said taking more of my food. “Young lady, oh just visiting” I replied and he nodded smiling, we sat talking when I finished eating and I smiled at him as he made some joke about something stupid.

“Sorry you can go if you want, you were obviously heading somewhere” I offered, “Oh no it’s fine, so you out here for long?” “I don’t know really,” I admitted “Don’t you have a job to get home to?” “No I…I guess I need to get one” I said realising he obviously wasn’t aware I should be in school not working. “Well if you don’t work how do you expect to pay to stay anywhere?” he asked “I have some money I can use for now, where’s good to stay around here that’s not too expensive?” I asked.

“I’ll take you, come on” he said getting up picking my bag up and I grabbed another one following him, he walked me to a hotel; I managed to pay for my room in cash giving them a false surname, “Okay well sorry for walking into you again” he stated “It’s okay, thanks for buying me food and for walking me here” “Anytime, it was nice meeting you Hayley” he replied “You too” I said taking my bag from him and he smiled walking off.

When I got to my room I started to take stuff out my bag before giving up and going to sleep. I woke up the next morning showering and going out to find the address I’d written down, I found the street but backed out and went back to the hotel. The next day I decided to empty my bags and look at what I had with me exactly when a found a piece of paper in the top of one of my bags ‘I was hoping maybe we could go out for dinner maybe? Promise not to eat your food this time around, give me a call or something. Kevin x’ I read turning it over to see his number and I smiled. I grabbed my phone using my new sim card I’d bought in town the day before ‘Hey, so you promise to not eat my food this time? X’ I sent only to get a reply about half an hour later ‘Promise, is that a yes then? X’ ‘I guess so x’ I replied. ‘I’ll meet you at your hotel, 7ish? X’ ‘Yeah okay x’ I texted smiling.