We Can Lay With Our Eyes Closed

Get Away With It

The next day I headed to where he’d told me to go for a job and I kept what he’d said about Mico in mind, I found the first place going in to see a guy sat watching TV at a desk. “Hi I’ve come about the job” I said and he looked at me blank “The job in the window” I added and he looked really confused at me before shaking his head and mumbling something in Spanish. “Do you even speak English?” “English, not very much” he stated and I nodded before repeating my statement in Spanish and he nodded.

“Can I help you?” I heard someone say and I turned to see the guy Kevin had shouted to “I’ve come about a job” I said and he nodded “You speak Spanish?” “Kind of” I stated and he nodded “Not many people out of school remember their Spanish” he said. “So where’ve you worked before?” he asked “Erm I haven’t really” I admitted and he nodded.

“I’m Mico” “Hayley” I replied shaking his outstretched hand, he took me through into the back before explaining the job which was basically answering calls and doing filing for him. “So are you from the USA?” he asked and I nodded “Atlanta” “Do you have a passport?” “Yeah but not on me” I replied, “Well I need to see one,” he stated. “Is that guy I spoke to even American?” “What’s it to you?” he questioned “Nothing I just thought having someone who can’t speak English very well isn’t a great idea to sit in the shop” I said trying to change the subject from my passport.

“Lady I see people divert questions all the time, what’s the story? You not from the USA or something, you not got a work permit because I can work around things” he cut back quietly “I, well I guess I have an issue” I admitted “Explain” “Well I kind of ran away, it’s a long story but I was going to end up in a foster home so I left. I just need money to pay to live here; cash would be good I guess” I explained and he nodded.

“So what you want me to pay you cash and if I get asked you don’t exist?” “Kind of would be helpful, it’s just until I find who I’m looking for” I stated, “Which is?” “Some family I never knew I had, just trying to find them you know?” I asked and he nodded “Fine, you got the job. Your still in school aren’t you?” “I’m 17, but can we keep this all between us?” I begged, “If anyone asks, I know nothing” he said winking and I smiled at him.

I started working straight away and it was actually easier than I thought, the Spanish from school came in handy when talking to some of the workers who he kept out of sight because they didn’t speak English at all. It’d been 4 days since then and I worked everyday, I’d spoken to Kevin and we’d been out once since, he knew I was working for Mico but I told him it was the only job that would take me so he never even thought anything of it.

I was walking out to meet Kevin when the woman on the desk called me over “Miss Brenson we’re going to need your passport or drivers license as proof of ID before you pay for your room” “Oh I don’t know where they are, I’ll try find them and bring them down to you” I lied and she nodded as I walked off. We spent the day at his place watching movies and chilling out “So you like Ocala now then?” “Yeah I guess it’s a nice place” I replied.

“Good, so you’re sticking around then?” “I guess I am,” I said and he smiled at me, he shifted his weight before I felt his arm around my shoulders and I knew I should tell him the truth but if I did he’d either get pissed at me or he’d tell people. Plus the chances he was that much older than me were slim, he didn’t look all that much older than me. I’d always looked older; I never got ID’d for anything, which right now with the hotel and everything was playing in my favour.

“You know I was pretty pissed I split my drink on you, chocolate milk is kind of my favourite” he stated “Imagine how I felt, been here less than an hour and I’d been walked into 3 times including having drink thrown on me” I replied making him smile. “Then the guy kept stealing my food,” I teased and he shook his head tightening his grip on me “I was hungry that’s all, guys got to eat. Especially after carrying your bag, I mean that thing was heavy,” he joked. “Hey you offered” “Yeah and I’m glad I did,” he said kissing my cheek.

I moved slightly to look at him and he put his hand on my cheek kissing me properly, I should’ve told him the truth there and then but I just couldn’t get the words out; probably due to the fact I was too busy kissing him back. His lips moved slowly against my own before I felt him run his tongue over my lip and I let him deepen the kiss as his hand moved to my waist guiding me gently towards him. My hands moved to his neck my fingers moving into his hair at the base of his neck without me really thinking about it, sure I’d had boyfriends before but I would never have considered myself experienced in anything romantic wise.

He slowly pulled away lightening his kisses and increasing the time between them until he kissed me a final time pulling back totally, smiling he looked back at the TV pulling me further into his side “So you’re the first girl I’ve had around my house and made out on the couch with without actually knowing her full name Hayley, care you elaborate?” he asked “Hayley Brenson” I lied and he nodded “Kevin Skaff” he said kissing the side of my head.

“Fancy going out for a bit?” he asked and I nodded, we walked out his house and I felt his hand bump into mine a few times before he pushed his fingers through my own. We ended up in the park under a tree in the shade, “You see that guy over there? He’s my neighbour. Guy’s the biggest douche bag around” he whispered in my ear “Hey Mr Grahams!” he shouted waving at him as the guy waved back “Twat” Kevin said under his breath still smiling and I started to laugh “Your so mean” I said and he laughed “No I’m not the guy’s just a moron” he stated.

“Whatever you’ve got something mean to say about everyone” “That’s just my way with people, ergh here he comes what the hell does he want now” he mumbled as his neighbour walked over. “Mr Skaff” “Kevin” he cut in “Kevin, I was wondering if you’d heard anything from the town?” he asked and Kevin sighed, “No, I said I hadn’t. I wasn’t even in town when it happened so I don’t know why you keep asking me. If I knew anything I’d have said by now, I know nothing and I did nothing because I wasn’t here; you know I was away when all that happened” Kevin cut back looking at him.

“Well if you…” “If I hear anything, which I doubt I ever will; I will tell you but if your waiting for a confession from me you’ll be waiting forever. I’m sorry Mr Grahams but I really know nothing about any of this” he said and the guy nodded ”Fine, have a nice day” “You too” he said as the guy walked off. “See he’s a twat. All that’s about his eldest son, the guys about 20 and he got beat up pretty bad not so long back. Mr Grahams seems to think either I did it or I know who did it, his son says he doesn’t remember who did it but I bet you he does but he just doesn’t want to admit who it was. I was out of town when it happened but I’d put good money on it being someone who his son had gotten involved with and that the guy was the wrong sort of person to be messing around with” Kevin explained.

“So really you have a reputation as a thug?” I joked, “No, I just don’t get on with his son. I had a party not long after I moved out here and his son was trying to sell drugs there so I kicked him out and told him a few strong words and since then anything that happens I’m to blame for” he admitted. “Don’t get me wrong I’d love to punch the little git but it wasn’t me this time around,” he stated “Never living next door to you” I replied quietly and he laughed kissing me.