Crazy-Eyed Charmers and Illicit Dreams

Wake-Up Calls

I decided I should wait until eleven to call Andy, just in case he was a late riser.

"Hello?" He answered, less pep in his voice then usual.

"Andy? It's Audrey, from last night?"

"Oh, right. Hi, Audrey. How are you?" He replied, a bit more awake now.

"Fine, you? Enjoy your sleep?"

"God, I never get enough..."

"Huh?"

"Nevermind. Say, I haven't eaten; would you like go out to celebrate you finishing your book?"

"Sure. Where and when?"

"Leave now, go to Tiffany's on 4th. Okay? Walk there, so you aren't waiting to long. Yes?"

"Sure. I shall see you then. Bye."

He hung up without another word. I was already dressed and decided to leave at that moment. It was a nice day outside, nice and warm, oddly beautiful. Of course, it could have just been me noticing the weather for what seemed to be the first time. I'd always been so lost in my book that I never noticed anything else at all. But it had been hard work, and it was all over now. I sighed in relief, smiling and saying hello to people I've never met, and never thought I would see again. Andy was sitting outside of Tiffany's when I arrived, greeting me with a warm smile.

"Glad I didn't keep you waiting?" He said to me. I bit my lip, smiling, and he led me inside the famous diner.

"Welcome to Tiffany's, how are you this fine day?" Our waitress said cheefully. Andy smiled at her warmly, as if he knew her.

"We're fine, Katie, yourself?" he asked, taking an interest in her life. She shook her hand as a gesture to say that life had been alright. We ordered our food and tried getting to know eachother, when it dawned on me that I had a few barely-important questions about Andy's sudden running out last night.

"I just had some...business to take care of." He said, trying to stay off of that topic.

"Like what? You aren't in the mob, are you?" I asked smiling, causing him to laugh.

"No, nothing like that. Just...business. It's nothing, really!" He replied, his voice taking a little more command.

"I'm sorry...I was just asking." I replied, quieting down a little bit. Andy smiled apologetically, placing his hand on mine.

"You aren't allowed to let me talk to you like that again. Okay?" He asked. It was an odd request, but I nodded all the same. I was too afraid why he told me not to let him talk to me that way, and thought I would ask another time.

The weeks that followed were better and stranger then any day, week, month, or year I've ever experience. Andy often had to leave unexpecidly, and I soon learn to expect nearly anything.

Until I made him tell me exactly what was going on.

"Andy, I'm not letting you leave this time." I said, grabbing his arm before he could stand. We were eating out again, but that was a rare delight. We usually spent our days out, Windy City rain or Chi-Town sunshine.

"Audrey, baby, I need to go. I don't want to, bu-"

"Then don't." I said, tightening my grip on his arm. He winced, grabbing my wrist twice as hard and ripping my hand from him.

"I need to, damnit. Fuck, Audrey, don't make this so hard. It's a long story."

"I have the time." I caid calmly, but firmly. He matched my tone.

"I don't."

"Well make some! Andy, I swear if you walk out of here you'll never see me again!" I said, raising my voice, just enough for the surrounding tables to hear.

"Come on, get in the car, I'll explain as best as I can on the way." He muttered, grabbing my wrist again, lightly this time, throwing some money on the table, and leading me towards the door.