Status: updates weekly. Feedback, anyone?

Along the Way

I'm no saint.

My skin was clean and my stomach was full. I was under two layers of blankets in a comfortable bed. Yet I couldn't sleep.
I sat up and looked at the clock by my bed. Nearly three in the morning.
My mind was swimming.

I got dressed in the clothes that were folded neatly in the dresser and tied on my old sneakers.
If I were my father, I'd take full advantage of this girl. Steal everything in sight and sell it in the bad part of town.
"Nothing is for free, boy." He used to say. "Don't expect life to give you any handouts."
Thats why we never went to the soup kitchens or the shelters.
He said they were nosy bastards who would take me away and put me in some foster home.
No son of his would be raised that way.
So instead we shuffled from one town to the next. He'd pick up an odd job or two. Rent a flea bag motel for a few nights. Spend the rest of his paycheck on booze or women.

It wasn't all bad. Sometimes we went fishing. Those weeks we spent in the woods, he called it camping. He taught me to play the guitar. Then he sold it a few days before he disappeared.

I was fifteen. No where to go, no one to call. I tried living in the woods on the outskirts of town. It hadn't been so difficult with my dad. He used to be a boyscout.
It had been winter, though. No berries to find or dry firewood. Just slush and ice.

I shrugged out of those thoughts. They weren't a pleasant place to be. I concentrated on walking. Anywhere, really.
I wanted to feel the frigid air in my lungs. I wanted to prove to myself that I'm not my father.
I'm Shane Morgan Frances and I'm going to pay this girl back.
Every dream, wish or hope she has, I'll make it all come true. When she cries, I'll have tissues.
Some guy breaks her heart, I'll break his face. I will never forget what she's done for me, and I'll prove it to her every day.

That morning I woke up to a knock at the door. I slipped on a white shirt and shuffled to answer it.
"Goodmorning, bright eyes. Nice hair."

I ran my fingers through my mess of hair and stepped back to let Dahlia in.
"Nobodys supposed to be alive at this hour, Lia."

"Christmas shopping." She smiled.

"Christmas?" I repeated.

She laughed. "Yeah, you know. The holiday right after thanksgiving."

I smirked. "Isen't that over a month away?"

"Yeah, but after black friday everyone goes crazy and its all somesort of dark competion. Christmas shopping should be enjoyable."

So, even though it was not a minute after seven in the morning, I got dressed and bundled up. Today Dahlia drove a nice prias with heated seats. I almost fell back asleep.

But just as my eyes were getting heavy, she pulled into a shopping mall of sorts.
"Ready?"
I laughed to myself. "As I'll ever be."

I'm not sure if I understand the concept of "enjoyable Christmas shopping."
We browsed through countless department stores, perfume shops, and basically every other place of business the three story mall had to offer.
The prices were high, the isles too crowded, and my arms were sore from the endless bags I had volunteered to carry. But, her smile.. the way it radiated from her eyes. I'd gladly be her bag boy any day of the week.

"My father's cheuffer loves wrist watches, but I'm not too sure on which would best suit him. Should it be the Rolex or the Cartier?"

In all honesty, I had never owned a wristwatch. The two she pointed out were both majestic and something I could never Imagine wearing. "um.. Rolex."

She laughed at my obvious shot in the dark and purchased the Rolex. I couldn't help but notice how it rang up for two grand.
I could have lived off the street for almost a year on two grand.

After the frivilous shopping, Dahlia said we had one more stop to make. We pulled into a surplus store, connected to a grocery.
I asked no questions as we strode through the doors.
"Mind grabbing a cart?" Dahlia asked as she retrieved one herself.
Puzzled, I did as instructed and followed her through the store.

Backpacks. She grabbed several of them, various colors and all durable. Blankets were next, followed by jackets, socks, and tennis shoes of every size. I was starting to think she was harboring a colony somewhere.

Still, I asked no questions. After both of our carts were filled well past the brim, we bought Dahlia's mysterious items and unloaded them in the trunk of her car. Then we went to the grocery store for round two. Trail mix and pretzels, bottled water and every type of cracker the snack isle had to offer. We didn't stop there. Peanut butter and canned goods, even vitamins.
I was finally realizing where this was going.

On our ride back home, I wasn't tired. I was amazed.
"Why do you feel so obligated?" I asked.

Dahlia furrowed her brow and softly shook her head.
"It isn't an obligation. It's a break for people who need one."

I looked out the window.
"My dad used to say people like you don't really exist. There's always some sort of selfish motive. Some personal gain."

She seemed to consider this. " I guess he was right, in a way. I do get a personal gain."

"Besides feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, Lia. That doesn't count."

She smirked. "I'm no saint, Shane." her tone got distant. As if she were drifting back into time.
"I just know what its like to feel helpless. Like nothing will ever change and no one will ever really care." She pulled into the drive way and put the car into park. "I just care. Thats all."
And with those words, Dahlia Marie Renea Morris became my hero.