Baby, It's Cold Outside

let me hold your hand,

All I know about her is that she has red hair and green eyes.

She’s like a momentary thing; the flash of a camera, the flutter of a heart, the sizzle in the fire, and a single raindrop on the sidewalk. If you blinked, she was gone. You had to grasp hold of her or she slipped through your fingers like water. And she had slid away from me multiple times.

Call it fate or call it destiny. Call it chicken salad, I don’t care. All I know is that she has red hair and green eyes and that she was everywhere. At my grocery store, launder mat, coffee shop, pharmacy, and every other place imaginable.

Sometimes I caught glimpses of her. Sometimes I caught glances.

And sometimes, I found myself staring at her straight on.

I remember the first time I saw her. It was December of 2010. I had just got off from college with my fresh business degree, my head high and my hopes for the future sky rocketing. I felt like I could take anything head on. I had come into the coffee place around the corner from my home, jingling the change for me to buy a morning bagel. I was inside, in front of the cashier, giving him my order for that bagel and a large Mocha when the door chimed as someone entered.

Of course, you never think much as a door chimes. Doors chime all the time. But something made me look over. Call it fate or destiny as I said, but I call it a pure magnetic pull.

Now, I am not much one to stare or gawk.

Even when I see a pretty girl walk by, I usually just flick my eyes toward her for one moment before looking straight back ahead of me. I never linger.

But for some reason, I couldn’t help but let my gaze scan straight over her.

The first thing I noticed was her fiery red hair. It was like a flame flowing out of her scalp, long and bright. It was tucked up under a green hat. Her eyes were green as well, the second thing I noticed. Sparkling and dazzling and beautiful. I also noticed her pale complexion and how her cheeks were flushed from the bitter cold outside. She was wrapped in a green scarf that matched her hat and a black peacoat. But then she was turning away before I could look at her some more, her back to me as she walked to a table.

“Sir?” the barista had said, pulling me back to the harsh reality. I nod and hand her my money, my body turning to desperately search for her. She was hidden at a table in the back, her body hunched, her bag beside her on the ground, and a book open in front of her.

I knew I had to go, no matter what I wanted—which was to go over and sit and talk to this redheaded beauty—or else I would be terribly late for work.

“Thank you,” I muttered as I grabbed my Mocha and bagel, hustling out of the coffee shop. I take one last glance at the redhead before I am hurrying off down the street.

Now, I know this seems ridiculous to ponder on.

It was just a girl, a girl that I had only seen once in my life. I had only gotten that small window of time to look at her, but I was obsessed. I couldn’t get my mind off of her for the whole next week. Seven days passed and each time I closed my eyes, her face would appear and I would be forced to think of her for the rest of the day or night. That red hair was like a flame in the distance, beckoning me, calling me to come forward. And no matter what I did, I couldn’t get my feet to move.

It was seven days later that I finally saw her again. I was at the grocery store, huddled in my leather jacket and a red scarf because of the freezing cold outside. I was in the frozen dinner section, scanning through the freezers to find the perfect Stouffer’s package to bring for lunch tomorrow. I was having a hard time deciding. It was then that I saw her.

She turned the corner to come down the aisle. I felt all breath leave my body.

Her red hair was braided and in this intricate up-do that made her heart-shaped face more prominent. Her neck was covered with a wooly white scarf and her shoulders adorned what looked to be a red suede jacket. She was wearing a black pair of skinny-legged jeans and thick sole boots.

I immediately push my cart forward so I could be closer to her, pretending to look through the frozen dinners again. I wasn’t terribly interested in what Lean Cuisine had to offer, but she was seven feet away from me and that was enough to satisfy.

It was then that she moved forward and her cart knocked into mine.

“Sorry,” she instantly murmurs.

I felt my heart pump as she glances at me. She gives me an apologetic smile as she moves her cart back from mine and continues on her way, walking down the frozen food aisle to come to the chicken nuggets. I stared after her, her voice ringing in my head like an annoying buzz.

It was like a melody of the angels, a tinker of a small bell. Soft and delicate and it fit her so well.

Exactly another seven days later, after an entire week of wondering and wondering of when I would see her again, she appeared before me at the movie theatre. I was there to see The Social Network, my soda and popcorn already in hand as I walk to the theatre room my ticket directed me toward.

She was coming out of the ladies restroom, another scarf around her neck, this time a dark shade of purple. Her fiery hair was now down and loose and wavy, brushing the bottom of her brown leather jacket.

I almost ran into her to get to my theatre.

“Sorry,” I mutter, a gulp stuck in my throat as I dodge her figure.

She gives me a smile. “It’s all right.”

Then we start walking. At the time I didn’t know if we were going to the same movie or if our theatres were in the same direction, but I didn’t care. I was just intrigued by her striking beauty and the fact that were walking in comfortable silence, not needing anything to fill the mute void.

Finally, we come upon theatre 26. “Are you in here as well?” she asks, cocking her head toward the doors. I nod, my throat too closed up for me to answer.

She smiles. “Well, let’s go in then.”

I then followed her inside the theatre, both of us finding seats in the back row. She didn’t next to me, but two seats over. We didn’t talk again, even before the movie began. It was hard to concentrate on the film when I kept glancing over at her, smiling at her relaxed stature and her tinkling laugh when the funny parts came about. I wanted to laugh with her but I was too thunderstruck. Finally, at the end of the movie, we both stand to go.

As we are walking out, we bump in again at the doors. “Good movie, don’t you think?” she asks, making conversation as we flood out of the theatre room with the rest of the audience. I nod, still to in awe to be able to use my voice.

“Not much of a talker, are you?” she questions, giving me a tiny smile.

Her lips were painted pink, I noticed.

I shrug, giving her the best smile I could manage. I guess she took it because she gave a small laugh at me. I felt a weird swell in my chest at her reaction.

“See you ‘round,” she smiles before walking off toward the parking lot.

It was another seven days later, yet another week passing of me looking around corners and checking every room I walked into, before she flounced into my life for the fourth time.

Surprisingly, I was at my building. I was coming out of the elevator and walking toward my apartment when she appeared at of the room next to my door, shutting it behind her. Of course, like the other three times, she had a scarf on. This one was a light blue, like a baby blue, and matched the crotched headband that she was using to keep her hair out of her face. I grin at seeing her, gaining the courage to give a small wave.

“Oh,” she says breathlessly. “Hello.”

“Hello.”

I was proud of myself. I finally was able to say something in front of her without my tongue choking on my words. It made my grin widen.

“Just coming back from seeing my sister,” she nods toward the closed apartment door. I felt my heart skip at knowing her blood relative lived next door to mine. “How are you? Have you learned to talk since the last time we spoke?” It was a joke, a spark in her eye. I smile again.

“Yes,” I go along with it. “I’ve been a talker since.”

She laughs, reaching down to button up her navy blazer. “Well that’s nice. I was actually just about to go get a cup of coffee. Mind joining me?”

I hesitate. “Why don’t you come in for one? I was going to sit down and watch some telly but it would be nice to have company.”

She grins. I then took note that her red hair was in a low ponytail, sleek and still as fiery as ever. “It is a bit chilly outside. I wouldn’t mind not having to go out there.” I smile, my pulse racing again, and reach over to unlock my apartment door. I then hold it open for her and she walks inside.

I made myself calm down before I follow her in, a warm feeling settling in my stomach knowing I was finally going to learn all about her and how her red hair was always following me everywhere.
♠ ♠ ♠
The ending feels rushed, but other than that, I am quite proud.