Status: active

All I Wanted Was You.

Part 14.

"Alex"?" I heard a knock on my room door, slowly I sat up and attempted to calm my breathing while I got up to open the door for Zack, as soon as he seen me I was in his arms.
"What's wrong Lex!" Zack breathed as he hugged me tighter as a small sob escaped my lips again, I knew I had to tell him but it meant I had to leave him behind.
I took a deep breath and pulled away from his arms looking into his perfect green eyes knowing this could be one of the last times I could see them. The held nothing but worry and pain.
"My dad, he's found me" I whispered as I watched shock or even horror cross Zack's face and he just pulled me into a hug again and I could feel his heart thumping in his chest through his jacket.
"Zack I have to leave" I whispered again and I felt Zack stiffen in my arms along with a sharp intake of breath as he realised what I was implying.
"Alex I-" But I stopped him by pressing my lips firmly against his to stop him because I didn't want to hear what he was going to say and also because I knew deep down I won't get this chance again for a long time. Zack melted into my kiss, it wasn't like our usual kisses which were quick and passionate; this was slow and loving because we both knew what was happening. When I pulled away Zack's eyes were red with unshed tears, his fingers were playing with the hair at the back of my neck as he bit his lip trying not to cry. I leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to his lips, then his cheek and finally his forehead breathing in the scent of fresh air and coffee that was still clinging to him.
"This is for your safety Zack, if I had any other choice I wouldn't let it be like this" I whispered closing my eyes as I felt small sobs escape Zack.
"Where am I going to go? Alex I can't go home!" Zack sobbed and I didn't know what to do other than hug the boy in front of me as I broke his heart.
"You will stay here with Jack, I have already arranged it all with him" I said slowly as the words finally sank in for me as well as Zack, I was leaving the only person who had ever truly loved me to fly halfway around the world.
"What about your mom?" Zack asked between sobs
"She's staying with my aunt until everything blows over" if everything blows over I thought to myself but I didn't say anything out loud to Zack, I couldn't upset him anymore than I already had.
"When do you l-leave?" Zack asked a fresh set of tears falling from his eyes as he pulled out my arms and sat on the edge of the small bed, he was looking intently at the floor.
"Tomorrow morning" I said as I watched Zack only nod and then he stood up walked out my room and into the guest room, I followed and stood at the door way while Zack packed his things up without looking at me once. I wanted to go over to him and hug him, kiss him, tell him that I would be home soon but I knew I couldn't lie to him also I didn't want to make this any harder of Zack than it needed to be. I was about to open my mouth when my phone beeped.
Outside now, I'm sorry about everything Alex, I'll keep an eye out for Zack while your away. Good luck - Jack
My eyes started to sting as I typed a quick reply to Jack and looked up to see Zack staring at me with his bags beside his feet,
"Jack's here" I whispered knowing that he would hear me, we walked down the stairs and out to Jack's car in silence and as I helped Zack put his bags into the trunk I finally turned to him.
"Zack? I am so sorry, you have no idea how much I wish it didn't come to this! If I thought it safe enough I would let you come with me but I can't risk losing you. I need you to promise me that you will stay safe and don't retreat back into your shell, no matter how much you want to, how much you feel like the world is against you don't. Jack and Rian are still here and I love you Zack. I love you so much" I said as tears rolled down my cheeks, I pulled Zack into another kiss as I felt Zack's tears roll into my lips.
"I love you Alex" Zack whispered kissing me once more before he slid into the passenger seat and Jack drove away with Zack in the car with him, I felt the sobs trying to escape my throat but I held them back knowing from now on I needed to be strong not only for me but for Zack as well. I had to come back.
--------
I had forgotten just how cold London could be, I wasn't dressed for the cold wind and light rain that was the UK's normal weather. I had forgotten a lot of things about the UK but it didn't matter I just needed to find Lilly and explain why I was here after all this time. I got into the black taxi that I managed to flag down and told them the address I got from my mom's address book, I knew my grandparents have never moved house as the Christmas card we sent each year had the same address written on it. As the taxi pulled up outside the small house I paid the driver with a quick thanks and brought my duffle bag with me, I wasn't planning on staying long. I walked up the steps and knocked lightly on the wooden door finally realising that I had no clue what I was going to say to whoever opened the door to me, I heard some shuffling and a lock click before the door opened to reveal my grandmother.
"Alex!" She cried and pulled me into a hug which was something I definitely wasn't excepting, she still smelled like mint and expensive perfume.
"Eh hi" I smiled weakly once she let me go and pulled me into the house while shouting for my grandfather and Lilly to come through. I heard loud footsteps followed by lighter ones approach the living room I was in.
"What's all the noise about? Who was at the damn door this time?" I heard my grandfather mutter and I couldn't help but smile at the words.
"Gran? Who's that?" He heard a high voice and turned round in my seat to face my grandfather and sister. My grandfather was a lot older than I remembered him but he still grinned when he saw me, Lilly had grown a lot in two years, her hair instead of being black was now long and brown like mine and she was taller than I remembered and I noticed that we had the exact same eyes.
"Hey Gramps, hi Lilly" I said painfully aware of my American accent as was everyone else.
"Wait Alex?" Lilly asked her eyes going huge as I nodded not sure how to tell her why I was here, how can I say that our abusive father had found both of us and we had to leave?
"What are you doing here!" She asked and if she wasn't smiling I would have thought she didn't want to see me, I stood nervously and sighed.
"I had to come talk to you about a few things" I said as I walked over to her, then quickly told my grandparents we had to talk alone for a minute and I dragged Lilly to the back garden with me.
"I know I haven't seen you in over two years and I understand if you don't want anything to do with me but I have to ask, Lilly do you know why mom left you here?" I asked searching her face for any kind of answer it might give me but she looked blank.
"I was always told she had a job in America and I was waiting till both of you were settled before coming over to love there with yous and you sound so different now" She mused at my accent but I brushed that away.
"Lilly that isn't the reason why" I started and watched as she looked at me in shock.
"When you were little and I was a few years older I had started to notice things about mom, she always had bruises and cuts on her and our dad was always hung over or angry and then one night he got angry but mom was out so he took it out on me. I then realised what had been going on and it continued like that for years until he tried to do the same to you and I didn't stop him. You were badly hurt Lilly and it was my fault, mom filed a divorce and dad got put in jail for abuse but the thing is he always found out where me and mom stayed but never you, that's why we moved around a lot but now he's found not only but you as well and Lilly I can't let him hurt you again. You need to pack and we need to leave tonight" I said while Lilly looked at me as if I was speaking in a different language and then all of a sudden she punched me right in the face.