You Came From Nowhere

1

I walked out the stadium in the heat of what had to be the hottest day in Missouri, I shouted a taxi but got nothing and I rolled my eyes “Come on!” I grumbled holding my arm out. “Fine ignore me then!” “Taxi!” a guy shouted and one stopped and I shook my head “What the…what am I invisible?” I asked and I heard laughing.

“I can see you if it helps” I heard someone say and I looked around “Well maybe I’m a figment of your imagination then” I laughed “Want me to try?” he asked “Nope, they had their chance, I’m walking! After all you might be a figment of my imagination” I joked back and he laughed.

“Then we’re both potentially insane, I can give you a ride if you want?” he offered and I smiled “Taking a ride from a stranger, that does make me insane” “Well how about a stranger that buys you a drink first?” he reasoned and I laughed. “Okay, I mean you’re a figment of my imagination so I presume I’ll be okay” I joked back and he nodded smiling motioning for me to walk with him, so maybe he was a stranger but he was a cute stranger.

“So invisible girl what’s your name?” “Lena, yours?” I replied and he smiled “Danny, so Lena did you go to the game?” “Yeah, it was a good game actually. You?” I asked and he nodded smiling “What do you want?” “Erm iced tea please” I answered and he ordered still talking to me. We sat down “So Lena, that’s a different name” I nodded “Nothing compared to my last name, most people get it wrong” “Why?” he questioned “Villiger, most people pronounce it wrong when they read it” I admitted and he laughed.

“I can imagine! Some people get mine wrong and it’s only Amendola. So you’re not American then?” “What makes you say that?” I asked “Your name and your accent” he admitted and I smiled “Guess where I’m from” “Europe” I nodded. “Whereabouts though?” “Lena Villiger, I’m going Germany” he replied “So close! I’m from Switzerland but I’m part German. But if I’m a figment of your imagination you really should know that” I teased and he laughed.

“So how does a German-Swiss imaginary girl end up in Missouri?” “College” I answered. “So you like baseball?” “Yeah, go Cardinals. You like sports?” he asked “Basketball and ice hockey yes, others not so much. If I’m honest I don’t understand many other sports, I’m getting there with baseball” I explained and he smiled at me. “So Danny Amendola, American?” I asked and he nodded “Mexican-American, so do you speak other languages?” he stated.

“Yep, French, German and I sort of understand Albanian. You?” “Wow my imaginary friend’s talented. Just Spanish” he answered and I smiled. “So is English your first language?” I shook my head “German is, then French and then English. Where I’m from where German is the most spoken language and then Albanian but my mother is from the French region so she kind of made me speak French, when I first came over here nobody could understand a word that I said and I found your accents really hard to understand but I’ve gotten used to it” I explained.

“Our accents?” I nodded “I know a couple Americans and that’s it, but I didn’t really talk to them much so when I first moved over here I struggled. I was home schooled for a long time,” I admitted. “How long have you been over here?” he asked “I moved to Ohio when I was 15 and then I moved out here for college at 18, so what 6 years now” I said “So you’re 21?” I nodded.

“Fast math” “Why thank you, so invisible girl can I give you that ride home now? Promise I’ll make your murder and quick one” he said before smiling at me as a sign he was joking, “Yeah okay then” I replied. Dammit Lena, don’t take rides from strangers is like the number one rule in everyone’s life and here I go breaking it just because the stranger is a cute one!

Okay cute wasn’t giving him credit; he was hot. We stepped outside and the heat of the day hit me, “Can I help you sir?” someone asked and he smiled “Yeah my car” he replied handing over a ticket and the guy smiled “I’ll be right back with it sir” he answered walking off and Danny looked at me.

“Don’t look so worried Lena, I won’t really kill you or anything. It’s too messy and well I’ve watched a lot of CSI so I know they rarely ever get away with it, too much hassle for not enough prize” he informed and I looked at him. “You don’t say that to someone who’s about to get in your car!” “You’ll be fine, so where do you live?” he questioned “Yale Avenue” “Yeah that’s cool. Here we are,” he stated as a car pulled up and I looked at it.

He opened my door and I smiled at him “Thanks” I smiled and he jumped in pulling off, “So why Missouri?” “Just looked at colleges and short listed them and went and looked around them before settling on this one. Don’t really know why, just liked the place” I admitted and he nodded. “Long way from home though” “This is home now, I like it here” I stated, we talked as he drove before I told him exactly where I lived and he stopped.

“Well thank you for the ride home and the drink” “Anytime, got to look out for my invisible friends” he joked and I laughed “Lena do you want to go out sometime?” he asked. “Sure okay” “Write your number on this and I’ll call you” he replied holding a pen and card out and I wrote on it before handing it back. “Well I’ll see you soon then, bye,” he stated before I shut the door and he pulled off.