You Came From Nowhere

2

2 weeks later and we’d been out a couple times; I heard my phone grabbing it “Hello” “Hey Lena, how are you?” a voice asked “I’m good thanks Danny, you?” “Yeah thanks, what’s up you sound strange?” he replied. “I’m fine, I’m on the way home that’s all” “Oh okay, I was wondering what are you doing tomorrow?” he questioned.

“Tomorrow, I’m busy until about 4 but after then I’m fine” “Well I was wondering if you wanted to go out?” he asked “Yeah sure” “Okay well I’ll come by yours about 5 then” he said before saying bye. The next day we went to Lafayette Park and we were talking when my phone rang “I’m sorry I really have to take this” I apologized before answering it.

“Hello, no I’m fine but I’m out with someone at the minute” I said “No I’ve got that long, what’s up?” I asked before my eyes widened “Are you for real? I can’t pay you back that! Seriously? No I can’t just take that from you, it’s unfair! That’s your money, well I won’t go at all then!” I argued with them. “What? Don’t do this to me! Fine but I really don’t want to and I will pay you it back sooner or later I promise you that. Yeah okay well thank you so much! I’ll cook you dinner and everything, bye” I grinned hanging up.

“Sorry about that” I offered smiling at him and Danny nodded “It’s cool, so where were we? Oh that’s right, what do you do at college?” “I major in International Business and American culture and then minor in Germanic languages and European studies,” I answered. “Whoa! So what do you want to do after?” “Law, I’ve got to get my application sorted out this next week,” I admitted “Law? That doesn’t come cheap” he stated and I smiled shaking my head “None of it does, oh by the way sorry if I wasn’t very talkative on the phone the other day I was coming home and it was really hot, jogging in this heat isn’t good” I laughed and he nodded.

“Tell me about it! So how do you work around all that school work?” “I don’t, I work in the summer when I go back to Ohio but apart from that I don’t work,” I answered as we reached some shade sitting down. “How do you afford college and a house and everything?” he asked, “I have a very generous family and I swear I will pay him back one day even if he doesn’t want me to. I got offered a scholarship for another college but I wanted to come here and they don’t do them,” I stated.

“What was your scholarship for?” “Basketball, we’ve got a game in 2 days time. If you want to come down you should, I mean it’s why I’m back here so early and not many others are back so I doubt there’ll be many at the game” I reasoned. “For real you play basketball? No that’s cool, I’d love to come watch you guys, I used to play in school a bit but I was never any good really” he admitted and I smiled “Cool, well I might teach you sometime” I joked and he laughed at me.

“So you said the other day you were training, what for?” I asked, every time I asked about work he seemed to change the topic quickly and I wondered why. “Work I guess you would say,” I looked at him and he rolled his eyes “I play football” “As in soccer or as in football?” I said, “Football” “Really? Who you play for?” I asked. “The Rams” “That’s the nfl team! I guess congratulations, I do not understand football at all and trust me it’s been explained in every way going and in multiple languages and I plain don’t get it. Too many rules” I admitted as he smiled at me.

“I might teach you sometime” he smiled and I laughed at him “Good luck!” I joked, “So you have to pay all your tuition?” I nodded “The scholarship was for a college that wouldn’t let me double major, I was going to accept and go there but well he refused to let me and said the’d pay for everything if I came here. I was kind of blackmailed into it the same way I’m being blackmailed into law,” I admitted.

“Blackmailed? So you don’t want to do law?” I smiled “I want to do law but I can’t afford it, I never mentioned it to him because I know what he’s like. Apparently I can’t trust my aunt because she’s gone and told him and now he’s told me he’s paying for it and if I don’t accept his offer then he’ll never talk to me again and I can’t go home to Ohio. Basically what he said when I refused to come here in the first place and I called his bluff, he wasn’t joking!” I explained.

“Well they wouldn’t offer if they couldn’t afford it surely?” “Nope but it doesn’t mean he should pay, he refuses to let me pay him back as well. I know he only does it because that’s the way he is but I still feel bad, I mean I can pay him back when I finally graduate and I get a good job but that’s ages” I said. “You better do well at school then! So is that who you lived with in Ohio?” he asked “Yeah, well he was gone from home when I moved over but he went to college nearby so I saw him a lot, we’re cousins so I lived with his parents. Where I lived there was mainly kids my age but there wasn’t many guys, so having an older male cousin was a bit strange to start with but he’s cool. He’s annoying but he’s cool” I said.

“Anyway my life is really quite boring. So did you always want to play football?” he nodded “Always, I mean I went to college but it was mainly for the nfl prospects when I left. I moved around a bit to get here but I’m settled here now” he replied. “Where’ve you been?” “Well I’m originally from Texas, then I went to Pennsylvania for a bit before coming over here” he explained.

“So you really play basketball?” I nodded “Yeah” I replied, “You don’t look like you’re into sports, too pretty” he stated and I looked at him as he stared at the ground quickly, “I’m not really sure how to take that if I’m honest. A put down or a compliment” I admitted. “Compliment” he mumbled and I smiled to myself “Well you don’t really look like the football type, I mean aren’t they all the guys that scare the life out of you?” I asked.

He looked up smiling “Trying to say I’m short?” “No but whenever I’ve watched it I’ve thought I would not want to run into them, don’t so much think that about you. Although the murder comments when I first met you were worrying” I joked and he laughed at me. “I noticed! Do you have any plans for the rest of the day?” I shook my head “Want to go out for dinner?” “Sure” I smiled at him.