You Came From Nowhere

3

We parked at my house and went to the restaurant down the road, we walked out to see it was raining “For real? How does it go from that hot to this rain?” I asked and he smiled “Welcome to Missouri! Yours is like just own there if we run” he suggested and I looked at him. “Run?” “Yeah come on I’ll race you back! I’ll run slower just for you” he teased and I shook my head “Oh you’re on, on the count of 3. 1,2,3” I counted out before we both set off running towards my house.

He got there first and I practically ran into the door shoving my key in the lock before pushing it open, “I knew I‘d beat you” he joked and I laughed tying my hair up “Unfair! I have a dress on,” I complained and he shook his head. “How come you’re practically dry?” I asked, “Because I run faster than you?” he joked and I glared at him.

“Do you want a drink?” I questioned and he nodded as I walked off “Hey Lena, you know when you read things, do you read it in German?” he called after me and I smiled to myself. “Depends what language it’s written in” “No I meant do you prefer to read it in German?” he corrected. “Yeah I guess so but all my school books are in English so I just read in English. Nobody really speaks German or French to me so it’s like English is all I speak anyway” I admitted as I heard him behind me.

“Why do you ask?” “It’s just you don’t make mistakes when you talk, you never say anything wrong or get the words wrong” he reasoned and I smiled at him “I have been here 6 years, the words they don’t teach you in English classes my cousin and college taught me” I joked and he laughed.

“There was no one to talk German to so I had to learn English, my family over here doesn’t speak very good German so we had to sort of guess at each other until we both learnt the basics” “Why did you move over here at 15 then?” he said and I looked away from him “Oh that’s a very long and boring story, trust me if you ever have insomnia I’ll tell you it” I lied and he nodded.

Truth was I disliked talking about how I ended up here, I was here and that was all that really mattered anymore! “Did I tell you I called a taxi the other day and once again nothing?” I stated, “You know I’m starting to worry that you are actually invisible! A 26 year old man with an imaginary friend” “Maybe its all this training you’ve been doing, making you hallucinate or something?” I teased and he grinned.

“So what would you be doing back in Switzerland in the evening?” he asked and I sighed “Schoolwork and classes” “Classes for what?” he said and I sighed “My family were pretty old school so I had to do classes in music and stuff” I grumbled and he laughed. “Don’t laugh! Spending your nights in music classes or even worse dancing isn’t cool,” I complained, “Dancing? You can dance?” “Oh don’t think its cool dancing, they made me ballroom dance” I admitted “It’s not that un-cool, I can sort of dance” “No you can’t” I cut back and he nodded holding his hand out at me.

I rolled my eyes putting my cup down holding my hand out and he grabbed it in his own, he placed his warm hand on my waist and I smiled placing mine on his shoulder. He moved backwards pulling me with him and I laughed, “Okay I get your point you can dance pretty good,” I laughed. “Man of many talents me, my gran used to take me dancing as a kid” he admitted and I smiled as he kept moving “Too cute” “There is nothing cute about dancing with older women and having them all grab your cheek and tell you you’re cute” he grumbled and I laughed at him.

“Don’t you pretend you didn’t love it, I can just imagine you now being fought over by all the old women” I teased “Do you really want to say things like that while I’m leading you like this because I could easily injure you” he stated. “You’d never do it,” I said before I felt him push me backwards and I cursed in German only for him to pull me back to him quickly as he laughed.

He pulled me straight into his body using it to stop me, “Danny! If you injured me I’d have to kill you” I informed and he kept laughing moving the hair from my face. Before I had any time to think about it he kissed me, I kissed him back as I felt his hand on my neck. We separated and he let me go quickly “So did they teach you that at dancing?” I asked and he laughed, “No not really, would be kind of illegal and creepy if they had don’t you think?” he replied and I smiled at him.

“I guess you’re right but hey I don’t know what you American’s do,” I teased and he smiled at me “Anyway I should really go, erm thanks for the drink” he said and I nodded “Thanks for dinner” I answered as we both walked to the door.

“Lena do you erm want to go out tomorrow night?” he asked “Yeah sure, I mean I have practise until 6 but after then I can” I replied “Yeah that’s cool, I’ll text you” I nodded at him as I opened the door “So I’ll see you tomorrow then” “Yeah I guess” I stated. He smiled at me leaning in to hug me; he kissed my cheek before pulling away and I noticed him bite down on his lip before kissing me properly pulling away smiling “Bye” he said and I nodded as he walked off.