You Came From Nowhere

5

He climbed in the back looking at Danny before me “Ben this is Danny, Danny Ben” I introduced and Ben held his hand out “Nice to meet you” Ben offered. “I can’t believe you lied to me” “I never lied! I just didn’t say I was here; I thought I’d surprise you and turn up at your house” he stated and I shook my head.

“Well I might make you sleep outside” “And I might sell your home” he said smiling and I laughed, “Fine have it your way, I’ll just move in to halls” I replied. “No! You live in your house; I know what goes on in college dorms. I don’t want college corrupting you, Danny you went to college you’ll agree with me” Ben cut back and Danny nodded.

“College dorms can be…an experience” Danny admitted and I smiled “I’m sure I could manage you know, I’m not a child” I argued at Ben who laughed “Yeah but I’d rather you didn’t live there. Anyway I didn’t travel all the way to Missouri to bicker with you” “You didn’t travel here for me at all, you came for football!” I reminded.

“Yeah well okay, has Danny tried to teach you football yet? Take it from me you won’t get anywhere” Ben teased as I sighed “It makes no sense it’s all rules and stuff” “I did try but failed, through all our conversations she’s failed to mention you’re her cousin. When she said people had tried to explain it I thought maybe I’d be able to explain it better, if you can’t I’ve got no chance” Danny explained.

“Well she’s never mentioned she knows you, how did you meet because we all know it won’t be at a football game” Ben asked “Baseball, although I’ve since learnt she doesn’t really understand that all that much” “Yeah she’s getting there with it I think” Ben replied.

We dropped Danny off and as soon as he was out of sight Ben started “So Danny Amendola, what’s that all about? I want to know everything young lady,” he stated and I groaned. I held the door open for him as he snapped at me “You got in the car with him? Lena! Strangers, do you not listen to a word of advice?” he growled after I’d dropped in how Danny and I met in the car ride home.

“Oh come on, he didn’t kill me and I promise no more of it. Anyway you’re here” I grinned hugging him and he laughed dropping his bags hugging me back “I’m here and I will be for just over a week if that’s cool with you?” I nodded. “So how is Missouri?” “Good still but I still miss home,” I admitted as he smiled “Well we miss you too! You left some things at mine but I’ve brought them with me” he explained and I nodded.

I loved having Ben around because it reminded me of home and no matter how much I loved being here I missed Ohio! “Lena can we talk please?” Ben called and I walked through with coffee and he smiled taking it from me. I sat down and he sighed “So Danny and you seem to be getting along nicely and I have to ask this, does he know why you’re here?” he asked and I looked at the cup in my hands.

“Lena tell me” I shook my head and he sighed putting his arm around my neck “You know that question will come up soon enough and you can’t lie about it, I know you hate talking about it Lena but have to be honest with him if you do really like him because when he finds out the truth he’ll only get angry with you. Plus you know mom can’t keep a secret, I mean she told me you wanted to do law so she’ll drop that in to conversation without you realising, she doesn’t mean it she just says things before thinking” he reasoned and I nodded.

“Look I can help explain it to him or something if you want me to” he offered and I shook my head “Well when the times right. You know I’m around if you need me to be” he said and I smiled at him hugging him. “I know it’s hard to talk about sometimes for you Lena but you have nothing to be ashamed of okay? It’s not your fault and you did nothing wrong so don’t you ever worry” he explained and I nodded.

That night Danny came over for dinner “So did you go see Lena’s last game?” Ben asked him as I was in the kitchen “Yeah, she’s good. Better than I ever was at Basketball that’s for sure” Danny answered and Ben laughed, “She’s better than I ever was! She’s a smart girl, anyway are you ready for this season?” he replied and they started talking about football.

“So you guys share a grandad?” Danny questioned and I heard Ben agree, “Yeah same grandfather and on that note you screw her over and I will break your legs and every other bone. She may not be close family in everyone’s eyes but she is in mine and I swear if you hurt her you’ll answer to me,” Ben warned and I rolled my eyes.