Outside the Rain.

Prologue.

I didn't say anything to the guest as they filed into our home for my sister's 16th birthday ball, I just sat and watched them while taking in every detail of their appearence. A particular lady seemed to seek me out, I knew her by name. Eliza. She found me and greeted me warmly, but I just couldn't speak.

"Annabella, darling, I love your frock," Eliza says sweetly, it was a simple attempt to get me to speak. Part of her probably knew I wouldn't speak to her, but her deep brown eyes still looked down sadly when I didn't react.

Honestly, I wanted nothing more than to speak to her because we were once good friends. We shared secrets and lifted each other's spirits like friends do. We made plans to leave as soon as we could for London so that we could escape the pressure to get married that was placed on us by our families. She was my only true friend, but it was a simple fact that if I spoke I would burn. It would start on my head and slowly move down to my neck. I don't want to burn again.

She turns her back to me and walks away, her head bowed down. It made me sad to see her like that. If I could change it I would, but I'm helpless. I've been helpless for a long time, I was helpless before I lost my words.

Music starts playing in the background, some of the guest begin to dance. Some more gracefully than others. My eyes scan over a couple, the lady was much taller than her partner and they danced clumsily. They looked so silly that I pitied them rather than finding it humorous like one particular man who was sitting in a corner watching them with a wicked grin on his face. He let out a laugh that I could hear all the way across the room. He made me uneasy so I look away from him.

My eyes settle on my sister, Mary, and her fiance. They dance beautifully. They move swiftly, in perfect timing with the music. My sister was very beautiful, she was small and wispy. Delicately curved lips, wide blue eyes, and a perfectly curved face sit ontop of a thin neck. She looked like an innocent child, but looks can be decieving.

I always wondered if her fiance knew he wasn't marrying a virgin angel like he thought, or if he even cared. I didn't care, that was their business anyway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Takes place in the Victorian ages.