Take me dancing

Take me dancing

Sophie clutched tightly onto Jack’s hand as he led her through the busy crowds. Sophie didn’t know where she was; she was in big field and the sound of an acoustic guitar was playing faintly in the distance. She thought she could recognise the tune, but the sounds of people laughing and cheering drowned out the familiar tune.
‘Jack, who’s playing?’ Sophie asked, pulling back on Jack’s hand slightly to make him face her.
‘Trust me with this, yeah? You’re gonna love it.’ A smile rose in the corner of Jack’s mouth, as he pulled back on Sophie’s hand, causing her to stumble on after him.
A Jack dragged her closer to the front of the stage, the familiar tune became more and more distinctive. Sophie smiled as a skinny, dirty-blond haired man strummed graciously across an acoustic guitar, his bony fingers plucking skilfully; his gravelly voice complimenting the song perfectly. The man looked up from his guitar, smiling at the familiar sight of Jack.
Sophie squealed; she had seen the Maine perform more than once, but never as close and as intimate as they were now. As John finished the last few lines of ‘I’m sorry’, his eyes tightly closed in passion and breathing heavily down the microphone, Jack pulled Sophie in front of him, wrapping his arms round her waist, rocking her gently in time to the music.
The shelter of the stage was just enough to stop the crowd from getting wet as the rain started tumbling from the sky, creating a drumming patter against the roof. John’s eyes directed from his guitar and ascended upwards towards the sky.
‘Well, by fuck, look at that, great timing or what eh?’ he chuckled to himself as he pulled the microphone to his lips.
As John ran his fingers along the first chord, the song clicked instantly in Sophie’s mind.
‘Oh a good man said, if you’re feeling dead, you gotta try to find a way to be alive…’
Sophie inhaled breathlessly at the way John’s voice caressed each word so delicately. Jack’s arms tightened around Sophie’s waist; he knew how much she loved this song. He rocked her gently, nuzzling his chin into her shoulder.
‘Give me thunder, give me lightning…’
John’s voice echoed round the whole tent, causing butterflies in Sophie’s stomach. She felt Jack’s hands work their way down, gripping tightly onto her hands, his fingers interlocking tightly with hers.
‘…get me fucked up, play that old guitar and we will sing.’
As John started the guitar riff, there was silence amongst the crowd. Sophie was swaying in time with Jack, feeling his kisses work their way down her jawline and neck. She closed her eyes, embracing the moment, squeezing her fingers within Jack’s grip. His lips met her neck once again, his breath stroked her cheek as he whispered ‘Can I have this dance?’
Sophie didn’t say a word. She released one of her hands, spinning around and placing her palms on Jack’s chest. He locked his hands tightly round her hips, his arms balancing on her hips as he fixed his gaze deep into Sophie’s eyes.
‘Oh, you’re not alone, you still have a home…’
Jack and Sophie swayed in time; Jack’s gaze not leaving hers, Sophie’s smile not leaving her face. She rested her head against his shoulder, using one hand to trace circles into his collarbone. Jack chuckled, smiling to himself as he rocked backward and forward, turning Sophie in small circles in a slow dance. Sophie looked up and mimed to the words ‘Take me dancing, get me fucked up’ and Jack replied, also miming, ‘play that old guitar and we will sing.’
Sophie giggled, blushing slightly. Jack kissed her softly at the end of her nose, spinning her around one more time before returning to a gentle rock.
John returned back to the riff and Sophie turned her head to face the stage. Jack cupped her chin with his finger, pulling her head round and placing a kiss on her lips. One single kiss. He rested his head against her forehead, closing his eyes and breathing deeply. ‘You are the most beautiful, special, amazing person in the whole world’ he smiled to her. Sophie smiled, and as tears brimmed her eyes, Jack span her round a final time, pulling her tightly to his bony chest.
John began the chorus again ‘Give me thunder, give me lightening and I will give you every part of me. Take me dancing, get me fucked up, play that old guitar and we will sing, yeah we'll sing…’
Sophie’s body was shaking with tears. Jack hugged her tightly, shushing her in her hair.
John’s strumming picked up quickly, breaking down into the ending of the song. Jack grinned as he pulled back from Sophie, grabbing her hands and spinning her round. She giggled and wiped away her tears, blushing at her embarrassment. Jack gave her a reassuring smile, dropping her down in the typical dance-like fashion, before pulling her back up and jumping about a bit, flailing both their arms around.
John caught Jack’s eye and winked, and after giving a final ‘whoo!’ called out ‘I’d like to thank Jack Barakat and his beautiful girlfriend for coming down tonight, hope you had fun Sophie!’ he pointed a finger towards them, grinning. The audience turned to cheer, and Sophie giggled nervously and bowed. Jack pulled her out of the tent and into the rain, wrapping his arms round her neck. He leaned forwards and chuckled, placing individual kisses on Sophie’s lips, before temptation gave in and she intertwined her fingers in his hair, locking her lips against his, the rain dripping down their bodies.
♠ ♠ ♠
boredom man