Gotta Be You

One

"Under the lights tonight you turned around and you stole my heart. With just one look, when I saw your face I fell in love. It took a minute girl to steal my heart tonight. Eh, eh, eh, eh. With just one look, yeah. Eh, eh, eh, eh. Been waiting for a girl like you."

I rolled my eyes as Harry's ringtone went off for the twentieth time in the past hour. I ended the called and tossed my phone beside me. My best friend, Leah, looked at me with sadness in her eyes.

"At least talk to him," she said cautiously.

I glared at her, "No he has to understand it's over."

Just then Louis walked through the door, a bouquet of roses in his hands. My heart sank as I remember one time that Harry had surprised me with roses. Shaking my head, I scolded myself. Don't think about things like that just because he did a few good things doesn't cover up for all the bad things he did.

'But it was so sweet' my subconscious shot back.

"Hey babe," Louis smiled at Leah before giving her a kiss, "Um.. Sara these are for you. Harry wanted me to give them to you."

He extended his arm to hand then to me. I snatched them away from him before getting off the couch and heading into the kitchen. I stood over the trash can, debating whether or not to throw them away, as I spotted a card inside the roses. Sighing, I pulled it out and opened it.

'Sara,
Please answer hear me out. I know I fucked up, but please give me a chance to make it right. I love you more than you know. Please?
Love, Haz'


"Sara your phones ringing," Louis said behind me.

I saw the roses on the counter and turned to go get my phone. Louis stopped me before I walked into the living room.

"Sara, I know it's not my place, but please give him a chance. He's been a complete wreck this past week. He knows he fucked up. Give him a chance, please?" he asked, hope in his eyes.

I pushed past him and picked up my phone before answering it and stepping outside.

"What do you want Harry?" I asked.

He sniffed like he'd been crying, my heart sank even more, "Sara please give me a chance to prove myself."

I rolled my eyes, "Harry I gave you several chances and what did you do with them? You blew them with your stupid partying and you're stupid slut of friend."

Tears pricked my eyes as the memory flooded my mind. I was going to surprise Harry for our anniversary and when he didn't open the door to his flat, I walked inside and found her in one of his t-shirts and Harry in his boxers. I hadn't seen him since.

He sighed, "Look I know I fucked up and I can't even begin to tell you what made me do it. We were drinking the night before and she kissed me and I made a stupid ass mistake, but I promise you if you give me another chance I'll make it up to you everyday for the rest of our lives."

Tears stung my eyes, "You expect me to give you another chance after you cheated on me?"

"I don't expect you to, hell if it was reversed I probably wouldn't have even answered the phone, but I'm begging you to give me another chance. Just one more and if I screw up again, I'll walk out of your life forever," his voice cracked at the end.

I pinched the bridge of my nose, "Let me think about it, okay? I'll text you later and let you know. Goodbye, Harry."

I hung up and dropped my phone in my lap. Tears fell from my eyes as I went over my options in my head. There was no denying that I was still in love with him even if he did break my heart. At the same time was I willing to risk getting heart broken again? I shook my head, grabbed my phone, and headed back inside. Louis and Leah were cuddled up on the couch, I smiled weakly at them as I headed up the stairs to my room. I plopped down on my bed as I let out a big sigh. My phone buzzed and I rolled my eyes expecting it to be Harry.

'Hey Sar. What's up?'

It was Liam. I idly wondered if Harry had asked him to text me.

'Hey Li. Not much, just thinking about a bunch of shit. What about you?'

I hit send and laid my phone on my stomach. I looked around my room at the pictures I had plastered all over the walls. Most were of Harry and I, even though he'd cheated, I couldn't bare to take them down yet. My phone buzzed again.

'What kind of shit? If you need to talk, you know I'm here.'

I smiled as I replied.

'I know, Li. I just don't know what to do about Harry. I can't deny that I'm still in love with him, but I'm so scared that he's going to hurt me again.'

Another tear slid down my cheek as I hit send. There was a knock on my door before it opened and I looked up to see Leah bring in a vase with the roses in it.

"I figured by them not being in the garbage, you wanted to keep them," she smiled gently.

I sighed, "I don't know what I want to do, Lele. What would you do?"

She frowned as she thought about it, "Well I'd be pissed, of course, but I love Louis with all my heart and I'd probably risk just about anything to be with him, even if it meant my heart, again."

My phone buzzed again, but I ignored it, "I'm so scared to risk my heart again though. It hurts bad enough that he cheated once, I couldn't imagine if he did it again."

She patted my arm and smiled apologetically, "But what hurts more: him cheating or him not being here with you?"

With that she walked of my room and shut the door, leaving me with her question an my thoughts. I groaned and picked my phone up.

'I know it's not easy to put yourself back out there with him, but you should at least give him a chance to make it up to you. He's been so depressed this past week he hasn't even gotten out of bed. Dani and I have tried to get him out of the flat, but he won't budge. I'm saying you have to, I'm just saying give him another chance. If he hurts you again, I'll kill him myself.'

I laughed through the tears that had formed in my eyes again. Mainly out of hysteria of not knowing what to do, but also because Liam could usually make me laugh when I was down.

'Okay, I'll hold you to that.'

I hit send and sat up, thinking about what Liam and Leah had both said. Leah had a point, I was so lost without Harry. Sleeping wasn't even an option for the past week because I wasn't with him. Sighing, I knew what I had to do.

Image

I sat on a park bench waiting for Harry. He told me to meet him where he asked me out almost three years ago. I pulled my hoodie closer to me as the wind blew across the park. It was empty for the most part aside some birds and an elderly couple. I checked my phone and saw that he was late. I rolled my eyes. Did he really expect to get back on my good side by being late? Just then I heard footsteps coming towards me. I looked up and saw Harry walking towards me. His curly hair was a mess like he hadn't brushed it in forever. There was a five o-clock shadow on his face and his eyes were red and puffy.

"You're late," I snapped, more from being cold than being mad.

"I know, I'm sorry. It took me ten minutes to get a taxi and then he decided to take a detour," he explained.

I sighed, "I'm sorry. I'm just cold."

He shrugged out of his jacket and placed it around my shoulders. I pulled it closer around me and inhaled his scent. I'd missed him more than I realized. I noticed he had a boombox with him.

"What's that for?" I asked, point to the boombox.

He sat it on the bench and pressed play on the tape or CD, which ever he had in it. A melody I recognized played through the speakers. He began to sing.

"Girl I see it in your eyes you’re disappointed
‘Cause I’m the foolish one that you anointed with your heart
I tore it apart
And girl what a mess I made upon your innocence
And no woman in the world deserves this
But here I am asking you for one more chance

Can we fall one more time?
Stop the tape and rewind
Oh and if you walk away I know I’ll fade
‘Cause there is nobody else

It’s gotta be you
Only you
It’s got to be you
Only you

Now girl I hear it in your voice and how it trembles
When you speak to me I don’t resemble who I was
You’ve almost had enough
And your actions speak louder than your words
And you’re about to break from all you’ve heard
But don’t be scared, I ain’t going nowhere

I’ll be here, by your side
No more fears, no more crying
But if you walk away
I know I’ll fade
Cause there is nobody else

It’s gotta be you
Only you
It’s got to be you
Only you

Oh, girl,
Can we try one more, one more time?
One more, one more?
Can we try one more, one more time?
I’ll make it better

One more, one more,
Can we try one more, one more...

Can we try one more time to make it all better?

'Cause it's gotta be you
It's gotta be you
Only you
Only you

It’s gotta be you
Only you
It’s got to be you
Only you."

Tears were falling from my eyes before he finished. I got off the bench and walked over to him before pressing my lips to his.

"So can I have another chance?" he asked as we pulled apart.

I nodded as another tear fell from my eye. He wiped it away and pulled me in for another kiss. It may not have been extravagant or fancy, but it was the sweetest thing by far that he'd ever done.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leah is my good friend fiction; in this :)
Check out some of our stories, please?