Status: eh

Firefight

They're spitting spite all through my blood.

That's it. That's the condition. I don't have to do anything crazy, I don't have to do anything at all.

Seconds later, you return to the table with Shane, and I'm grateful. I don't have to respond to Tim and I'm able to plaster a smile on my face without blushing. You slide into the booth next to Tim and Shane comes to sit on my lap.

Shane’s content colouring on the place mat and you’re caught up in a conversation with Tim so I let my mind wander. My heart swells at the thought of you crying over me. I know that it’s too vague a topic to make any assumptions, but I hope that you missed me and that's why you were crying. I can't imagine why else you'd cry over me.

I notice you staring at me out of the corner of my eye. You’re staring at me, Tim is staring at me, Shane is looking up at me from his drawing, and I don’t know what I’ve done.

“Right Ken?” You bite your lip and I can’t read your face. I usually know exactly how you want me to respond to things but I don’t know what you were talking about and I freeze. “S-sorry, what?” I stutter and you suppress a smile.

“I said it’s fine if Tim has to leave.” Your green eyes stay on mine as I reply. “Yeah.”

Tim stands up and apologizes. His youngest brother needs help with his car and he needs to go. We say goodbye and Tim sends me a knowing glance. You catch it, and I know I’m going to be quizzed later.

I pay our bill, much to your dismay, and we leave. The truck ride is quiet with Shane asleep. It takes me a while to realise that we’re not driving into your neighbourhood. You pull up outside my house and I don’t make a move to leave.

“Go change and be part of your family and shit.” I can’t help but laugh at your attitude. I tell you I’ll be at your house by dinner and you tell me you’ll pick me up. I refuse and say I can walk and you try to protest but I jump out of the cab before you have the chance.

----

I open your front door without knocking and run up to your room. I drop my duffel bag next to your bed and look around for you. Your mother’s in the kitchen and she says you left Shane with Ross and left before she got home. I tell her I want to help her prepare dinner and she scoffs at me, telling me to just go look for you and bring you home safe. She says that spending time with you is doing more for your family than she could ask. I blush and she laughs, thanking me for my help.

Your truck is still in the driveway and I know exactly where you are. I walk up the hill behind the park down the street. The other side of the hill faces the sunset and people rarely spend time back there.

You're lying on your back with your arm over your eyes. I sit next to you and pull my knees to my chest.

“Hey.” Your voice cracks but you still try to initiate conversation and I smile knowing your making an effort. Your hand that isn't over your eyes wraps around my calf, forcing me to cross my legs and your head drops into my lap.

“What are you doing out here?” I run my fingers through your hair to calm you down.

“The wake is tomorrow. Kids from school could show up.” I nod and tell you I'm going to be there the entire time with Shane so you don’t have to worry about it. You play with the frayed threads on the knees of my jeans and watch the sun set. I know we probably won’t make it back for dinner so I relax and enjoy the view.

We fall asleep, and I don't realise it until I'm drenched in cold water. I sit up, coughing and find most of the basketball team laughing at me. They’re all a bit drunk and they think it’s hilarious that I fell asleep alone on a hill at a park. I notice you off to the side with Tim and your eyes hold all the emotion I need to see to know you’re sorry. They stumble away, attempting to be unseen but it’s really just pathetic. You wave goodbye to Tim and walk back to me once they’re out of sight.
Your hands are shoved in your pockets and you don’t know what to say. I stand and tell you it’s fine, and I don’t care but you stutter out something about how Tim got you up before any of the guys noticed.

I shake my head and lace my fingers with yours, dragging you back towards your house. You try to hand me your sweater and I laugh telling you I don't want it. You're convinced I'm upset with you, but I'm not. I take my hand out of yours and I can feel you panic for a brief moment before I get my arm around your waist. You sigh and drape your arm across my shoulders. I know I'm soaking you through your clothes but you don't complain, you simply kiss the side of my head and begin to hum a nameless tune as we slowly walk towards your house.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't even know why I write.