Torn

Daddy's Girl

I run to get the door as I hear a knock; Darren is icing his eye at the sink.

"Daddy,” I say sickly sweet as Darren groans realising how much my dad will probably hate him.

“Hello Lily pad. Darren? You okay mate?” he smiles. Wandering over as Darren turns showing him the damage and I gasp, shit I’ve got an awesome right hook. “Whoa. What happened?” Dad looks at me to see if he needs to do anything fatherly.

“I was putting the cabinet up in the bathroom when you rang and I turned around too fast and hit him with my fist which was holding the screwdriver.” I smile as my dad looks between us and shrugs.

“Lily, what have I said about using a screwdriver…” he launches of into his lecture on how to put up shelves as he walks into the bathroom. I mouth to Darren asking him if he’s alright he nods. Following me to the bathroom where dad carries on, “also, I’ve said before always use a Phillips bit.”

Dad commences in putting up my cabinet as Darren and I are stood in the doorway arm to arm, I feel a small brush of his hand against mine and I rub my thumb up his as I decide that Dad is doing my nut in.

“Dad,” I walk forward, “I know how to put up a cabinet.” I push him into the lounge and throw him his keys. He kisses me on the cheek and apologises.

“Hey, Harvey I’ll walk you down, I have to feed Gigi.” Says Darren as I gasp.

“You still have Gigi.” My face started glowing. Gigi had been outside the Quick-Save in a ‘please take one’ box of kittens all taken minus Gigi, the night Darren picked me up. I wanted to bring it to my dad’s, but Darren reminded me Dad was allergic. Darren took her in.

“Yeah,” he smiled “Want to come meet her again?” I nodded to which my dad furrowed his brow.

“Lily, you have to be ready for tomorrow, 10 am. So don’t spend too long taking over Darren’s time,” He smiled, I rolled my eyes, he was acting as if I was inconveniencing Darren with my childishness.

“Dad, the precinct is two blocks away, I’ll get myself there, plus will you please call me Officer Carter tomorrow.” I see his face drop. His last name and my first last name is Kingsley. “Dad, Kingsley-Carter was too long and I want to stand on my own merit.” I smile and he nods that he’s okay.
We walk down the single set of stairs to the front door, I kiss him goodbye and say “I’ll see you at 0800 hours DI Kingsley.” He smiles, he used to put me to bed saying the same but with officer instead of DI.

As he walks off I follow Darren as he walks five doors to the left and pushes in his key. I hear a small purring sound as suddenly my feet are wrapped around by Gigi.

“She remembers you, Officer Carter.” Darren smirks. I push him playfully as he closes his door behind me.

“I’m just letting letting him know so he's not surprised. Anyway we need to decide, are we going to pursue this Training Officer, Sanderson.” I smile as I remind him that if we are thinking of getting together we have to tell HR.

“Could we maybe, go on a date, telling HR is as good as telling your Dad.” He smiled.
I start to rub Gigi’s ear as I finally say what has been bugging me.

“For the last three years, you’ve been avoiding me. So this wouldn’t happen.” I smile absent minded as Darren nods his head, “I have had one failed relationship as even though I liked him, I couldn’t get over you and the fact it turned out he was related to Dan.”

“Oh you mean James.” He smiles as my jaw dropped, “Dan knew, he told your dad, who told me.” I give him a serious look. “I have had three failed relationships.” He says shrugging.

I walk over to him. I remove his ice pack. His eye hasn’t bruised as much as it should. “Maybe were meant to be together…” I smile as he lifts me onto his work bench. I place my arms around his shoulders as his snake my hips.

“Maybe.” he replies. We sit and stare into each other’s eyes, for heads touching. “But the age difference, what would your friends say?” He asks, I smile at his question.

“It’s only six years. Tammy would rejoice, she’s been telling me to just Facebook you and hook up for two years and the rookie’s know nothing, I didn’t really make any friends at the academy, Kitty the only other girl in my class disliked the fact I had been fast tracked. The Guys are all at different precincts.” I smile. “What about yours?” I say meaning my dad mainly.

“Well, Garry has been telling me that there must be a reason my relationships have failed, and your dad’s tricky as for weeks he told me that he thought I should get back out there, and he also told me when you were dating James he wished you would 'break up as James was a bit slimy' , I asked him why he thought that and he let it slip he had looked him up, did you know James had a son?” He asked as I shook my head. “Any way your dad kept saying that you should find someone like me but…” He paused “But younger.”

“Oh. So you think the age thing might just be a problem with him.” I nod understanding. “Let’s just date for now.” I smile and kiss him on the lips, “Thanks for the list and floor plan. Bye Gigi” I then walk to his front door and walk out into the lobby.
♠ ♠ ♠
so?